PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for voice recognition software

ahmadof
Aug 17, 2004, 02:16 PM
and digital recorder. ilisten and via voice seem to the only one out for the mac. the olympus recorders seem to be popular. does anyone have any experience or advice? thanks

yellow
Aug 17, 2004, 02:20 PM
and digital recorder. ilisten and via voice seem to the only one out for the mac. the olympus recorders seem to be popular. does anyone have any experience or advice? thanks

IMO, Via Voice sucked. It was hard to train and I believe that IBM dropped Mac support for it.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=17820&highlight=Via+Voice

vkapoormd
Aug 17, 2004, 03:34 PM

I have iListen (which is pretty good, but you definitely need to spend time training it). Via voice is not supported by OS 10.3, so you can't use it and IBM is no longer making it for MAC. If you are interested, I no longer need to use dictation software for work, and would be willing to sell my iListen w/ micrphone for cheap. Let me know if you are interested.
:)

zv470
Aug 17, 2004, 04:03 PM
Look at the Google ad bar, out of context again haha :D

OldManJimbo
Aug 22, 2004, 10:15 PM
For about three years I used a Sony (ICD-MS1) digital recorder and converted it to text using Dragon Systems software. That was on a WIN platform. When I migrated to Mac the Dragon software was not compatible so I looked for an alternative and have become a HUGE fan of iDictate.com - an on-line dictation service using live transcriptionists to turn my recorded notes into documents.

Unlike the voice rec software - these are live people and they can easily "go back to point A and make each heading BOLD."

Very cool. The software would give me about 80% accuracy on a good day and the iDictate people give me about 98% accuracy - it is like having a highly skilled secretary on staff 24/7.

You can find details on their web site - www.idictate.com.

Edit - Dragon was available for Mac (I think) - I am just too cheap to pay another $400+ for it.

pyrotoaster
Aug 22, 2004, 11:46 PM
How could you need any more features than all those built in to OS X's speech recognition?!

"Quit iTunes."
*whit!*
"It is 11:44 p.m."
"No. QUIT iTUNES!"
*whit!*
"Knock knock."
"Argh! Who's there?"
*whit!*
"It is Sunday, August 22."

:D