PDA

View Full Version : First time DSLR Buyer, Rebel XS

djarsalan2006
Jan 14, 2010, 08:51 PM
Hey guys,
i dont have any experience using DSLR cameras, however it's been a while that i decided to get one and start shooting with it.
i was thinking about Canon Rebel XS, does anyone have any experience with this ? is it a good camera ?

amoda
Jan 14, 2010, 09:02 PM
Hey,

I was in a situation like yours not too long ago. I bought the XS and while it's a great camera, if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have bought it.

If money is your main factor (it was for me) I would get a used 40D.

I use the camera for low-light (bars, house at night time, etc.) and mostly for group photos. I also use it for action shots if we go to a trip or something.

I found that if taking several raw photos in a row (even if not immediately in succession) there were several times the camera said "busy". I joke and say "sorry guys, the camera is thinking" and it usually gets some laughs but the waiting does kill the moment. The 40D wouldn't have this issue.

Focusing could be faster, and more accurate. The 40D has more focus points all of which are cross-type, the XS has 7 focus points only which the center is cross-type.

Also, the feel. After holding the 40D the XS just felt...weaker.

I don't know, on paper there differences aren't THAT life changing. But it does have an effect on the overall real life usage.

tMac85
Jan 14, 2010, 09:40 PM
Whats your price range?

The xs is nice. But if you want to stick in the xs area...go with the xsI. ( few bucks more) the little upgrades ( 3" screen, screen sensor, image stabilizer ) are nice. The lens on either is going to be your standard 18-55, which isnt a horrible lens but really worth less in low light. The xsI comes with the 18-55IS which will help in the low lit situations, but not much. Its worth it if you ask me.

You dont need the 40D, or the replacement of that, the 50D, quite yet. They are going to be more than you need. Especially if you havent ever played with one.

I just have one request. Please dont buy your DSLR and leave it on Auto
( green square mode) you might as well buy a point and shoot if you are planning on doing that. Put it on manual and have fun with it. You'll get the hang of it.

djarsalan2006
Jan 14, 2010, 10:01 PM
I was thinking of 400 or something, nothing more than that !
thanks for the reply guys