Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liamcow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2002
Hyannis, MA
I Know this isn't a "rumor" but i had no place else to go

I'm a colledge student who runs a DJ buisiness, I need a computer to run my playlists instead of burning like 400 CDs, Naming and indexing them. But I don't want to use an iBook because I've heard they arent stable, or a Powerbook because I don't like using laptops for everyday use. would the new iMac be portable enough to put in my car and DJ with, or will the internals get messed up?? I Need HELP!!
BTW a PowerMac is just plain out of the question:D

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
it should be just fine for you. just be careful as it would be your source of income. i'd recommend transporting it with the original box, altho it may be too clunky for you. if it can go thru ups that way it can stand anything. good luck and i think itll just add to the cool factor.

another idea you may not have thought of is to get one or two 20GB iPods and use that for DJing. you can go out to any preamp or receiver from it and its ridiculously easy to use.

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
iMac's iron arm is stable enought to carry the whole unit:D
On the other hand I don't think that when Apple designed the iMac they thought that it would be carried around by its arm on everyday basis.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Man, quit the pot for a month and think everything over again. I know you are in love of the facy look of the iMac but:

1. Is gonna take one entire seat of your car.
2. You are gonna look 90% stupid, 10%snob carrying that stuff around that is heavier than a marriage.
3. You are going to carry that stuff twice, the first time doing your "portable iMac" experiment that is gonna result in a mistake, the secund time trying again your experiment with the same results.

To get an iBook and learn to use it is a better (smart) deal. Portables are never as good as desk top computers but the other way around is the same thing.

Unless you are a rody.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by mymemory
2. You are gonna look 90% stupid, 10%snob carrying that stuff around that is heavier than a marriage.

Ehm...not really.

A DJ in England (when I lived there anyways) sometimes hauled one of the old CRT iMacs to a gig and those are much larger and heavier than the LCD ones.

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
mac portables

the iMac is pretty robust but also heavy. I wouldn't want to move one around too much.

an iBook or a Powerbook would be much much better. Never heard anything about iBooks being unstable, and Powerbooks are fine desktop replacements, especially with video out and av out. iMacs only mirror display.

neilt

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by elensil
iMac's iron arm is stable enought to carry the whole unit:D
On the other hand I don't think that when Apple designed the iMac they thought that it would be carried around by its arm on everyday basis.

Although the iMac can be carried by its arm, Apple recommends that you always keep one hand under it for support.

neilt

Liamcow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2002
Hyannis, MA
Re: Re: Is iMac Portable

This is for zimv20:
I'll elaborate for you; I need a computer that i can use as a regular work machine, but a stable (non-crashing [bumpy]) computer because, think, if i'm doing a party, and I set my playlist while getting a drink or something, i need a computer that will not request my attention and then have a kernel panic or something. my friend pointed out that his ibook sometimes will do this like 5 times in a certain day for some reason. to sum it up, i just need G4 stability:)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
The new PowerBooks (DVI) are rock solid under OS X. No matter what you get, you WILL want to increase the memory. With the TiBook, you can access BOTH memory slots, where you can only access one in the iMac (LCD). You can also attach an external FireWire drive to the TiBook and have an extra 60GB of storage (bus powered) or 160GB of drive space (AC adapter required).

At under 5-1/2 pounds the TiBook is EXTREMELY portable as well as powerful.

No matter what you get for a system, place it someplace very stable/sturdy, and away from edges. You also should invest in lock down kits for both the computer and external storage devices.

BTW, The current line of TiBooks are nothing to scoff at. I know more then a few people that have rev. a TiBooks for everyday use and are extremely happy with them. I know that my rev. c TiBook has more then enough power for everyday use. It excells at Quark, Photoshop and Illustrator work as well as 3d applications (Bryce, Cinema 4D to name just two).

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
Your friend has one seriously messed up iBook if it crashes that many times! I have one, and I can very honestly say that it has not been restarted in a number of months and is still running like the day we got it. It is extremely reliable under OSX, and i never fear that it will crash. And my iBook's situation is not uncommon. I've never heard of one being unstable before today.

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
Originally posted by Biggles
Your friend has one seriously messed up iBook if it crashes that many times! I have one, and I can very honestly say that it has not been restarted in a number of months and is still running like the day we got it. It is extremely reliable under OSX, and i never fear that it will crash. And my iBook's situation is not uncommon. I've never heard of one being unstable before today.

Mine was horrible, the orginal ice one, 500MHZ, until they replaced it, I took the damn thing into apple store every 2 weeks for something, it was not very reliable, but I love my new iMac.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: Re: Re: Is iMac Portable

Originally posted by Liamcow
This is for zimv20:
my friend pointed out that his ibook sometimes will do this like 5 times in a certain day for some reason.

that's a bad unit. my 3 friends w/ ibooks (2 600 MHz's and 1 700 MHz) love them and haven't had a single complaint. (and they're not new to computing -- two of them i did a computer science program with in the 80s).

i've been using the 700 MHz one (running OSX) all week and it's been rock solid. quite impressed. more solid than my dual g4 running os9. way more solid.

rather than thinking in terms of g3 vs. g4 for stability, consider the OS (9 vs. X) and the apps you're running.

and i'd hazard an informed guess that the ibook has more built-in on-the-road protection than any desktop machine.

Liamcow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2002
Hyannis, MA
oh, so you think the ibook might be unstable because of OS9? that's what he runs off it. i'd actually love to get an ibook (less money) but if anyone knows of ibooks messing up under OSX, please tell me and i'll just get the Powerbook. thanks

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by Liamcow
oh, so you think the ibook might be unstable because of OS9? that's what he runs off it. i'd actually love to get an ibook (less money) but if anyone knows of ibooks messing up under OSX, please tell me and i'll just get the Powerbook. thanks

or more succinctly: os9 is less stable than osX. most likely, your friend's problems have to do w/ the software (including the OS) and not the hardware.

i'm all over the ibook. the experience i had this week was _very_ positive.

also, don't know if you saw this on the ibook page:

True to its heritage, the iBook was designed with ruggedness in mind. That’s why it’s made of ultratough polycarbonate — the same material used in bulletproof glass — and has an internal magnesium frame for added strength. The hard drive is rubber-mounted for impact resistance. And there are no doors, protruding latches, or levers to break or get snagged.

http://www.apple.com/ibook/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.