Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clarkie-2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Hi guys, just signed up to the forum... Looks like the best place to get some advice...
Now, I recently got a new lcd for my macbook unibody, started putting it in, connected the lvds connector and the screen lit up fine.
After a bit of fiddling, i noticed that the backlight had gone out, but the screen was still working.
I checked both sides of the lvds cord to see if they were connected right, with no luck.
So I tested the old lcd, and i found that the backlight was not working on the old lcd screen either...
Im hoping someone could tell me if its likely to be the lvds cable or something else? and if its the cable, where would be the best place to get a new one?
Any help is appreciated... Thanks

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
This is important: define "fiddling"

Don't leave anything out or coax your memory in a particular direction. Every detail.

clarkie-2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Okay, by fiddling, i simply meant i made sure the cable was connected properly and placed in the correct place, and i put a couple of the screws in to hold the screen in properly so it wouldnt fall down or move.
After i done that and powered it back up, the screen had lost its backlight...

Before this, when i first powered up the screen, nothing was screwed in etc, i was just testing the new screen to make sure it was working...

And thanks for the reply :)

clarkie-2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
I might try my luck and get a new LVDS cable... where is the best place to get one that wont hurt my pocket? thanks

clarkie-2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
this is a pretty good website...if this is for the wrong model just look around and you will find it.http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/product.php?productid=17094

Thanks mate, i emailed the guys there, and they dont sell the LVDS cable to suit the a1278 model macbook.
"Unfortunately, Apple does not sell individual parts inside the display."

So i can either look for a second hand LVDS cable or make a special order through apple for a full display..

Does anyone know where i would find one? or how much a new display is worth?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.