Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyrich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
ok so a few weeks ago we heard apple trademarked islate and the islate domain name. heres a little info i dug up that i didnt see posted anywhere online. if you whois apple's domains, they aren't protected. its clear you can tell who the owner is. for example apple.com, ipod.com, itunes.com, iphone.com, applestore, mobileme.com, etc all show

Registrant:
Apple Inc.
Apple Inc.
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino CA 95014
US
eddingsk@apple.com +1.4089744286 Fax: +1.4089741560

the whois for islate.com

Registrant:
Domain Administrator
DNStination, Inc.
303 Second Street Suite 800N
San Francisco CA 94107
US
admin@dnstinations.com +1.4155319335 Fax: -

which makes sense if apple wanted to call it the islate, they wouldnt make that record public. we also heard a while ago apple got the islate domain and trademark. now if you look at the created/expires/last update details for apple.com it shows

Created on..............: 1987-02-19.
Expires on..............: 2011-02-19.
Record last updated on..: 2009-12-30.

note the record last updated on, 12-30-2009. ipod.com, iphone.com, itunes.com, mobileme.com, etc was also last updated on 12-30-2009. guess when islate.com was last updated, 12-30-2009.

Created on..............: 2004-10-30.
Expires on..............: 2011-10-30.
Record last updated on..: 2009-12-30.

does this reveal anything for sure? no. but more evidence pointing to that name.

heyrich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
lol isledge.com isnt even registered so im sure if they wanted to call it that they'd spend the ten bucks to grab that domain

crobbins

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
Colorado
While I agree that it seems there is a decent amount of evidence that it might be called the iSlate, I still have hopes they name it something else. As many have said, iSlate just seems a little awkward. I'm hoping they came up with something less..awkward I guess.

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
I'd rather they drop the i and just go with Slate. As someone else mentioned, iSlate sounds a bit too much like isolate, and just doesn't strike me as an elegant name.

I remember back when the original Newton was announced, there were all sorts of form factors discussed, and the most exciting was the Slate. So maybe my desire for it to be named the Slate is just some kind of late wish-fulfillment. :)

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I think it will be called iSlate because through the rumors and what-not the iSlate name has penetrated the consumer. We are already used to calling it an iSlate before Apple has even admitted to its existence.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple bought up a ton of domain names including mactablet as well....

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I'd rather they drop the i and just go with Slate. ...
Can't be done. The Apple slate will not be the first electronic slate. The word slate is generic to intelligent electronic devices of this sort. Therefore, Apple would be unable to trademark an electronic slate named Slate.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I think everyone is still poking around in the dark.

I'm not surprised that Ballmer showed the HP Tablet at CES and declared it the HP Slate.

Probably a Big up your Wazoo to Steve Jobs just in case it was going to be the iSlate. I don't think Apple wants to jump into the waters with a diluted brand name since about 5 or 6 of the manufacturers at CES where calling theirs a slate.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I really think it should be called the iSlate. I just think it works. We have to remember that iPhone seemed a bit on the too simple to be true side.

Many people are already calling it the iSlate, so you don't really want to mess with that public imagine of it either.

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
Can't be done. The Apple slate will not be the first electronic slate. The word slate is generic to intelligent electronic devices of this sort. Therefore, Apple would be unable to trademark an electronic slate named Slate.

In much the same way that Microsoft was unable to trademark a graphical OS named Windows. ;)

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
Apple owns a ton of domain names that they don't use and never intend to use, just like the ton of patents they file every year and never use for anything.

As for the name of the tablet .. why not just go with "Newton XL" or "Newton2"? ;)

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I'm surprised that no one brought up the name "iPad" because I believe Apple also holds the copyright to that name.

Don't laugh--the name actually makes sense, even though it's very closely related to the iPod name. And it rolls off the tongue a lot better than "iSlate."

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm surprised that no one brought up the name "iPad" because I believe Apple also holds the copyright to that name.

Don't laugh--the name actually makes sense, even though it's very closely related to the iPod name. And it rolls off the tongue a lot better than "iSlate."

Sounds too much like a feminine hygiene product!

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
I would still buy if it was called the iSlate, but iThink it's a stupid name. They should go with MacTablet or AppleTablet. They would never go with something as complex as iSlate (not saying it's all that complex). They always go simple and elegant, iSlate just sound rough and unappealing. I'm excited regardless :apple:

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
i hope the call it the newton... but since they seem to want the term Mac in all their computers... it could be the MacSlate, MacPad, TabletMac, or most likely, a name NONE of us have thought of like Steve's old favorite: MacMan...

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
The tablet isn't a Mac, so it won't have "Mac" in the name anywhere. Most people already agree that it will be running a modified version of the iPhone / iPod Touch OS, rather than the full Mac OS. It's not a tablet PC, it's an "ebook reader with Internet abilities", just like the iPhone is an "iPod with phone abilities". :)

If you want a tablet Mac, you will have to buy one of those modified MacBook devices (ModBook?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.