Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld UK reports that Vodafone, the latest UK wireless carrier to begin offering the iPhone, has shipped out 50,000 of the devices to customers who placed pre-orders.
Vodafone, the fourth mobile phone operator in the UK to stock the iPhone after O2, Orange and Tesco Mobile (in partnership with O2), shipped 50,000 Apple smartphones to customers today who pre-registered with the company.

Vodafone UK chief executive Guy Laurence citied "exceptional demand" for the iPhone despite pricing deals being similar to those offered by O2 and Orange.
The report notes that Vodafone may have been struggling to keep up with demand for shipments of the iPhone while also combating weather-related issues, having announced delivery delays for a number of areas last week.

Orange similarly reported strong demand on its iPhone launch day last November, claiming sales of 30,000 iPhones.

Article Link: Vodafone Reports 50,000 Pre-Ordered iPhones in UK

El Capitano

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
I got cold-called this morning by a Vodafone UK sales rep who wanted to know if I was interested in the iPhone.

I said no, sorry, your tariffs suck.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Anyone know if these are network locked?

Voda, a couple of years back when i was on their network, used to leave their contract phones unlocked. It was quite rare to find a phone that was. Every phone I'd had with them from the Nokia 8910 through to the 8800 Sirocco, was an unlocked phone. I'm pretty sure that covered a span of approx six years.

dynamix1

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
I'm not trying to start any rumors here for the iphone on Verizon, but the pre-ordered phones on Vodafone network I noticed something about their service. The US affiliate for them is Verizon Wireless. I was wondering if that would mean anything that the iphone is capable of working on the Verizon network. Would the phones on the Vodafone newtork be CDMA capable to work on the Verizon network.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I'm not trying to start any rumors here for the iphone on Verizon, but the pre-ordered phones on Vodafone network I noticed something about their service. The US affiliate for them is Verizon Wireless. I was wondering if that would mean anything that the iphone is capable of working on the Verizon network. Would the phones on the Vodafone newtork be CDMA capable to work on the Verizon network.

No mate, Voda UK are a GSM carrier.

tiguk

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
UK
Incredible sales for a phone that's been around for so long.

Whatever happened to the Palm Pre? I heard they'd sold less than 20,000.... and it must have been out for at least 6 months now?

healeydave

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Palm who, only techies know about Palm products in the UK, from the Palm Pilot days and even then you have to be a more mature techy lets say.

That's Palms problem outside of the USA and I'm afraid they will do well to survive now Google is biting at the smart phone market too!

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
50,000 from Vodafone, 30,000 from Orange. These figures don't surprise me. I see loads of people with an iPhone now. It wasn't quite a common sight 9 months ago. Same with iPod touch.

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
I came aboard the iPhone train because Vodafone actually have decent deals; £30 per month for an iPhone and unlimited texts. What can O2 and Orange give me? 500 texts for more money. No thanks.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I found it was MUCH cheaper to buy a 3g-s outright (network locked to O2) and unlock it. I then use it on my existing T-Mobile UK contract. Saves me about £150 in the long run.

To be honest all the contracts pretty much suck. But its how the game is played. They know people will pay the stupid prices just to have an iPhone. They do exactly the same thing with Blackberrys and Android's here in the UK, especially Orange.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Whatever happened to the Palm Pre? I heard they'd sold less than 20,000.... and it must have been out for at least 6 months now?

Shipped 783,000 to retailers, sold 573,000 to consumers, as of December.

Palm should've started with Verizon last year instead of coming in after the Droid.

However, there are rumors of a Verizon BOGO for the Pre and Pixi at their launch later his month. That should boost Palm ownership.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
I got cold-called this morning by a Vodafone UK sales rep who wanted to know if I was interested in the iPhone.

I said no, sorry, your tariffs suck.

Agree. I am on O2 and I think they got the best tariffs and customer support not mention of coverage (in my area anyway). So I am a bit surprised by that 50 000 pre orders. :confused:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Shipped 783,000 to retailers, sold 573,000 to consumers, as of December.

Palm should've started with Verizon last year instead of coming in after the Droid.

However, there are rumors of a Verizon BOGO for the Pre and Pixi at their launch later his month. That should boost Palm ownership.

We are talking about UK sales in this thread. ;)

I don't think O2 has give the Palm Pre much chance. The tariffs are identical to the ones they offer for the iPhone and the handset costs the same as the 8GB iPhone 3G.

The final nail in the coffin is placing the in store demo units right next to the iPhones. The Pre is a nice phone but doesn't look good in a quick side by side comparison with the iPhone.

Palm made a big mistake choosing O2 as it's exclusive UK network.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
it has the best deal ... offering unlimited text on all it's plans ... all the others are pretty much the same and offer 500 texts in their equivalently priced plans... that would be enough to make me choose vodafone over the others

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.