PDA

View Full Version : iMac G3 help

pomeroy111
Jan 15, 2010, 10:15 PM
First off, I know this computer is obsolete. I am currently using a 27" iMac with snow leopard. I was wondering if there is anyway I could change the hardware on my G3 to run snow leopard on it smoothly. Thanks!

uberdude007
Jan 15, 2010, 10:25 PM
Snow Leopard supports 64-bit Intel CPUs only.

Sorry!

:apple: Edward Jessen

pomeroy111
Jan 15, 2010, 10:30 PM

Sorry!

This why i'm asking. Is it possible to upgrade my processor? I already have 1GB of RAM in it.

uberdude007
Jan 15, 2010, 10:31 PM
This why i'm asking. Is it possible to upgrade my processor? I already have 1GB of RAM in it.

Are you sure you're not dealing with a G5?
Either way, you can't upgrade from a G5 to Intel because they run on 2 different architectures. Sorry.

MacHamster68
Jan 16, 2010, 08:19 AM
there is no way to put snow leopard on a imac g3 and dont even think about leopard
it runs on tiger or panther , and is then still usable , no need for snow leopard or leopard ,
if you have upgraded the ram , fit in a 7200 rpm harddrive 120gb (128gb is the most it supports internal)and
you will see with panther/tiger on it its really usable, a bit faster on panther , but more programs run on tiger , and it will boot quite quick and the speakers are better then in the new 27" iMac , so use it as a itunes server, web browsing ,office tasks , if its one with dvd fitted you could watch dvd's on it in your bedroom (its nearly silent running as no fans inside which makes it perfect for a bedroom )

only because you cant install snow leopard/leopard it does not mean a system is obsolete and useless

dbwie
Jan 16, 2010, 08:46 AM
You can run Tiger on an iMac G3. Thus, they are not obsolete, depending on what you use a computer for. Such a computer can run iTunes, iPhoto, Office, and many other useful apps. It will not play YouTube video or other Flash stuff very well. The iMac G3 I bought in 1999 is still chugging along as my cousin's main computer.

Upgrade the hard drive (I see you have maxed the RAM) to get the most out of it.

Oops. Just read MacHamster68 post... I agree with everything he says.

ouimetnick
Jan 16, 2010, 08:48 AM

Sorry!

Apple had computers with an Intel Core Duo chip back in 2006. The Yonah (Intel Core Duo) chips, where 32 bit only. So does that mean SL wouldn't run on them. Apple said all Intel Macs, but not all Intel Macs are 64 bit.

MacHamster68
Jan 17, 2010, 01:54 PM
if you are really desperate for leopard
then there is another way
you can install ubuntu intrepid and change everything so i has the look of leopard , you can fool everyone with it , as nobody will spot the difference at first glance i done it before and it worked fine on my 600mhz imac g3 , i did it out of curiosity if its possible ...
not a easy task to install but with a bit good will ....it will install and once you overcome the screen issues after a couple days of searching for the right settings you will see a desktop, then you can make some changes as in the link further down and thats what you see then
http://images.maketecheasier.com/2009/1/ubuntu-osx-desktop-small.jpg

http://maketecheasier.com/turn-your-ubuntu-intrepid-into-mac-osx-leopard/2009/01/08

bowecho
Jan 17, 2010, 07:49 PM
Apple had computers with an Intel Core Duo chip back in 2006. The Yonah (Intel Core Duo) chips, where 32 bit only. So does that mean SL wouldn't run on them. Apple said all Intel Macs, but not all Intel Macs are 64 bit.

Snow Leopard runs fine on the original Intel Core Duo Macs, I have it running on my iMac. You don't get the benefits of all the 64-bit goodness though.