Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cypress101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
is it still true that trying to run XP mode in windows 7 under vmware will not work?

Macbook Pro 5,5 2.53 GHz 4GB

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Except for "I can", why would you want to run a virtualized operating system within an already virtualized operating system? Because "XP Mode" is nothing but a version of XP running virtualized on a Windows 7 host.

In reality, people should rather run Windows 7 as their host operating system and then maybe run Mac OS X in a virtual machine -- because whoever still requires Windows, usually does not really require Mac OS X...

cypress101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
well, the reason is because I am already running Win7 VM and ONLY need the XP mode to actually install ONE app. Without having the ability to enable XP Mode you cannot trick the install to think it is installing on XP (which is the only OS it will install on). Once I have the app installed it will work fine in the Win7 environment.

It's really just trying to get the setup file to actually install. Any other ideas?

I know you can't change the properties of the setup file to run in compatibility XP mode without enabling XP VM...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.