PDA

View Full Version : Problem with M audio usb interface?

jonsey44
Jan 17, 2010, 07:59 AM
I have logic pro 9 and have attached a M audio interface which in turn is connected to a M audio buddy to record vocals and guitar, when i use it in Logic i get the mic but then my usb M audio keyboard does not work. I tried to revert to the macs own audio and although the keyboard works the internal mic does not. I am new to this and i think ive followed all the instructions properly but i cant figure it out at all. Any help would be appreciated.

jackerin
Jan 17, 2010, 12:10 PM
I have logic pro 9 and have attached a M audio interface which in turn is connected to a M audio buddy to record vocals and guitar, when i use it in Logic i get the mic but then my usb M audio keyboard does not work. [...] I am new to this and i think ive followed all the instructions properly but i cant figure it out at all. Any help would be appreciated.
First I must commend you on your eagerness since not everyone would plonk down 500 USD on software when you get a more-than-capable sequencer straight out of the box in Garageband. You might have been better off spending that money on better hardware, but that is another matter.

Regarding your problem, you should really specify exactly what models you have since there are many different variants of M-Audio interfaces and keyboards. You can also say how you have them hooked up to each other and the computer. (The reason is that some audio interfaces also have MIDI ports, which when activated might disable any further MIDI ins like... USB MIDI keyboards.)

jonsey44
Jan 18, 2010, 02:32 AM
Thanx for your reply, i have the M audiophile usb interface which is connected to the audio buddy via 1/4 inch cables. I really only want it for the mic as the macs internal mic is hopeless but ive had no luck at all trying to fit an external mic. Im thinking maybe i should give up. :-( or should have paid out on better hardware as you said.

jackerin
Jan 18, 2010, 03:52 PM
After checking if the devices are getting power and have the lights lit up, the first thing I would do would be to check the output of the Audio Buddy. It looks like it's standard line-out, so what you could do is get a 1/4"->1/8" adapter and run it straight into the Mac's audio line-in.

I'm not so familiar with Logic, but from what I remember it's a lot more complicated than Garageband, so you can open up that and try recording onto a new real instrument track. If it records when run straight to the line-in then the issue is probably with the Audiophile.

jonsey44
Jan 19, 2010, 03:01 AM
Thanx for your help i will give that a try.

mesq
Jan 19, 2010, 03:58 AM
It's possible that your Keyboard has an Audio interface built in which is conflicting with your Audiophile.