Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
i hate all the free twitter apps, they all feel so watered down to me. but twitbird is okay i guess.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
why does nobody ever rave about simplytweet? it's interface is just as good as tweetie 2 and it has push !

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
why does nobody ever rave about simplytweet? it's interface is just as good as tweetie 2 and it has push !

It's very nice - but I found myself checking Twitter so frequently that I didn't really need push.

I guess that's another problem though... :p

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm guessing MOST didn't read the OP's question.

The OP said, "FREE!"

Tweetie 2 is not free, lol.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
SimplyTweet and Twitterific have free versions. Either one you go with is gonna be great. However, I like Twitterific better simply because you can make the fonts and the tweets much larger so they're easier to read.

Maverickster

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
All those other apps, including the paid Tweetie 2 suck.

Echofon or TweetDeck.

Riveting. You're pretty clearly in the decided minority on that (not only in this thread, but other threads on this exact same topic here, and frankly, throughout the app-review world). But, you said it with authority, and that's what counts. ;)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm guessing MOST didn't read the OP's question.

The OP said, "FREE!"

Tweetie 2 is not free, lol.

We're telling him he's wrong and should pay for one.

People come to message boards for advice when they want advice. So that's what we're giving him. Plus, he's free to ignore it if he wants.

I also vote for Tweetie 2.

Also, download the free 'Boxcar' app. It will push-send messages from your Twitter account, so it doesn't matter that Tweetie doesn't do push. Boxcar sends me the push message and when I click on the message it knows to open Tweetie, not Boxcar.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
We're telling him he's wrong and should pay for one.

People come to message boards for advice when they want advice. So that's what we're giving him. Plus, he's free to ignore it if he wants.

I also vote for Tweetie 2.

Also, download the free 'Boxcar' app. It will push-send messages from your Twitter account, so it doesn't matter that Tweetie doesn't do push. Boxcar sends me the push message and when I click on the message it knows to open Tweetie, not Boxcar.

I second the recommendation of Tweetie 2 with Boxcar. SimplyTweet is excellent as well but it only allows you to have one "active" account at a time. In other words, if you have more than one account that you like to check, it's a bit cumbersome.

bad angel

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2010
USA
I have tried Twitterific (free version) and the paid versions of Tweetdeck, Tweetie 1, SimplyTweet, and Tweetsville. I've stuck with SimplyTweet because of the push notifications, its overall features list, and its stability. Tweetdeck was nice but I found it to crash a lot and I didn't like the fact that I couldn't load older tweets when I needed to catch up.

As has already been mentioned, there is a free version of SimplyTweet - I'd suggest you try this one.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

I agree. I've had Tweetie, Twitterrific, and now SimplyTweet, and I have to say, I like SimplyTweet the best out of the bunch. I like the UI, push notifications, and the different themes. There is also a lite version available for the OP which is free (same with Twitterrific).

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
yep, I was using the free version of tweetie on my mac and decided to purchase the full version, theres not much difference between the paid and free version apart from occasionally you see an add in your twitter feed.

I use tweetie on both iPhone and Mac and it's awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.