PDA

View Full Version : eMac Optical Dive Not Opening

MaxMike
Jan 17, 2010, 03:02 PM
I have had my eMac for a few months now and the optical drive doesn't work. At one point, it was fine after I tightened the bezel in front of the drive. But now (and it was like this before) whenever I press eject on the keyboard, I hear like a whirring or something (think shaking a jar full of sand). Are like gears inside the drive stripped? But then why would the drive open sometimes? Thans for any input! =)

MacHamster68
Jan 17, 2010, 04:29 PM
you could be right there , if you have not tightend the flap too much as the tray needs to open the flap in order to slide out

no usually its because of schooltreatment , the kids dont use the keyboard to close the drive they push it in with force ...which doesnt do these little gears inside any good and they jump a bit missing out one or 2 teeth which rsults in somtimes it will open and sometimes not

so you can live with this sometimes or somtimes not opening drive or simply get a new one ..go for a pioneer dvd rw , as pioneer are the most compatible ones with emacs

originally there is a PIONEER inside

changing it is not that difficult but needs time and stay calm

best follow these instructions

http://www.wilko.com/emac/

dont worry looks more difficult then it is

before i forget it this manualhow to is for the newer iMacs so as yours is the early 700 ...dont worry its basically the same apart you need to remove the speakers too