Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Patrick is very fortunate that he has sought help at the Sioux Falls' Avera McKennan Hospital. Shows promise that he has lost 321 pounds in eight weeks. Think that he will be successful in loosing another 450. Motivation is a very powerful thing.

According to the article; "The former restaurant manager has been bedridden since last fall. He has battled heart failure, thyroid problems, diabetes, pulmonary hypertension and arthritis, and needed help just to roll over in bed." He was definitely headed to the fate of the lady that weighted 600 pounds and stuck to a couch.

I think that his goal of walking with his wife and attending a Cornhusker Football game will be realized. At 42 he's lucky to have a supportive wife.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
I feel really sorry for him. Life when you can't do anything for yourself must just suck. But I'm kind of curious- with people that overweight, is it just genetics, or is it really possible to become like that simply from a bad diet? Because I know several very overweight people who, it seems to me at least, don't eat any more than regular sized people...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
comictimes said:
I feel really sorry for him. Life when you can't do anything for yourself must just suck. But I'm kind of curious- with people that overweight, is it just genetics, or is it really possible to become like that simply from a bad diet? Because I know several very overweight people who, it seems to me at least, don't eat any more than regular sized people...
i was wondering the same thin. how do you get that fat?

iJon

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
iJon said:

iJon
Cool typo :D

Yeah, just like in the 600-pound-woman thread, we have to wonder how the person's condition got this bad. It's probably usually at least a little bit genetic (i.e. some people have better/higher metabolisms than others) but is also usually due to overeating or unhealthy eating, or not enough exercise, or whatever.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
its scary, like in dodgeball, the fat white goodman but real! But seriously, i'm not trying to belittle the situation, Its sad that this kinda thing stuff happens and that theres no one that they can go to for help before it gets this bad. Whether its partly genetic or not hes not the only one to blame, someone should have been keeping an eye out for him. Friends? Family? At least he is getting the help he needs now.

Mark James

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Sarf London
A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel to be driven to a local livestock scale, where he could be weighed.

And there are still those in this country who believe Americans have an under-developed sense of irony.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Mark James said:
A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel to be driven to a local livestock scale, where he could be weighed.

And there are still those in this country who believe Americans have an under-developed sense of irony.

But you also have to wonder if they were all just laughing and cringing at the same time...."look boys! We might be able to call Guiness on this one....but how in the hell do we weigh him...."

He's lucky that he had someone who would at least help him and not end up like the 600lb woman who grew into her couch. Sad, sad, sad

D

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
iJon said:

iJon
You have to eat a LOT. There are genetic conditions that make kids have voracious appetites and become super obese (such as Prader-Willi) but it's unlikely that that's what's going on here. The amount of calories necessary just to maintain a weight of >1000 pounds is staggering. Consider that the article at least implies that the entirety of his weight-reduction therapy has consisted of a 1200-calorie a day diet. He's lost 321 pounds in 8 weeks, or almost 6 pounds per day.

What's sad is that despite the fact that his weight led him to the point he couldn't get out of bed, he had someone still feeding him tremendous amounts of food. I see the same thing with some patients, who can't get out of the house but still manage to have complications from continued alcohol use - someone's supplying them with the poison that's killing them.

Dave

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
comictimes said:
But I'm kind of curious- with people that overweight, is it just genetics, or is it really possible to become like that simply from a bad diet? Because I know several very overweight people who, it seems to me at least, don't eat any more than regular sized people...
My college roommate and I ate mostly the same foods at the same dining halls together throughout the better part of our college career. Neither of us had cars, and we both walked everywhere. Actually, her classes were in buildings further across campus, and at least one semester, she had a dance class.

Yet she gained weight steadily while I stayed thin as a rail--I had at least two strangers come up and try to tell me I needed help for anorexia! I would say that the difference between us would have to be genetics.

In the case of serious morbid obesity, I would guess that it's both genetics and a supremely bad diet. And whoever was feeding him surely couldn't have had his best interests at heart, either. :mad:

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
Very sad that he got to that point, genetics may have had a play in his immense weight but obviously food abuse is a major part of his disease.
Which makes me think his wife must bear some of the responsibility.
Such a sad state to be in both mentally and physically, hope he improves. Shame.

Now the Northerner in me thinks- greedy selfish whale, just stop eating!!
He can't exactly pop down to McDonalds and buy 10 Value meals can he, whoever was caring for him should have given him rice cakes and water.
How much is his medical care going to cost?? Those hospital resources could have gone to people whose ailments where no fault of their own.
Shame.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Weight can be a funny thing. I have a friend who weighed 130 at the beginning of the school year. Now she weighs closer to 150 and you really can't tell--she's filled out a little bit, but maybe five pounds worth. I actually thought she'd been losing weight since the summer holiday began, but she's actually been gaining weight.

I feel badly for this gentleman. I don't doubt that genetics played a major factor in his condition. Thankfully he is really willing to do what it takes to take care of himself, and that he has a wife who loves him enough to help keep him in as good of shape as possible while they were waiting for a hospital to admit him. I'm glad the hospital is willing to eat the cost of his treatment, too. It sounds like he'll meet his goals of going for a walk with his wfie and of going to a Nebraska football game! :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Like others have said he is very lucky that he had a wife that tried to get him help. A doctor that was willing to treat him. Genetics do play a large part in our metabolism. Eating and exercise definitely helps. Patrick seeking help and his motivation is the largest factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.