PDA

View Full Version : anjaki#1

anjaki
Aug 18, 2004, 05:49 PM
In the style of X, one million in Roman numerals.
I hope nobody else has already had this idea.

Just an extra bit of info:
http://www.novaroma.org/via_romana/numbers.html

Quote: "Larger numbers were indicated by putting a horizontal line over them, which meant to multiply the number by 1,000."

M = 1000

thus M x 1,000 = 1,000,000

I hope that clears up any misgivings.

Mudbug
Aug 18, 2004, 06:22 PM
I thought M was 1000, but not sure of that...

<edit> Yup - it's 1000 (http://www.novaroma.org/via_romana/numbers.html)</edit>

King Cobra
Aug 18, 2004, 06:29 PM
That's not what M with a line above it means. I memorized all the Roman Numerals from 1 up to 3 999 999 999 when I was not even 12, and I'm extremely fast at translations back and forth with our number system. I would know this s***. M with a line above it is 1 million, or, M•1000.

M with a line below it is 1 billion.

I have no idea what you do for 5 billion, though. It's either 2 lines above, or 2 lines up and 1 line down, or another letter, or some other line combination.

Rower_CPU
Aug 18, 2004, 06:32 PM
I thought M was 1000, but not sure of that...

<edit> Yup - it's 1000 (http://www.novaroma.org/via_romana/numbers.html)</edit>

The bar over it means 1,000x the numeral, so it's OK - I know, I was going to use it for a 'tar. ;)

Mr. Anderson
Aug 18, 2004, 06:33 PM
I would know this s***.

I'm so glad we have a resident expert in this .... well only to 3,999,999,999. I guess if we need help with numbers over 3,999,999,999 we'll have to get someone else :rolleyes: :p

D

Mudbug
Aug 18, 2004, 06:38 PM
*holds head in shame*
*puts on dunce hat*
*gets line-noticing glasses*

King Cobra
Aug 18, 2004, 11:50 PM
I'm so glad we have a resident expert in this .... well only to 3,999,999,999. I guess if we need help with numbers over 3,999,999,999 we'll have to get someone else
Where is that fist icon when I need it? *searches through bookmarks*

Yes, this is it: http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6629

You know, I could have stayed out of this thread entirely. I didn't, though, because I wanted to see Mudbug walk outta here in shame. And I threw in my little extra background info. so he would walk out very slowly. :D

Mr. Anderson
Aug 19, 2004, 12:02 AM
You know, I could have stayed out of this thread entirely. I didn't

But it was so good of you not too - ended up being so much more entertaining....

You just threw too much at him :D All the specifics just come across as self aggrandizement and I had to point that out (for you) so you can avoid tasting your shoes in the future :D

D

King Cobra
Aug 19, 2004, 12:15 AM
--> All the specifics just come across as self aggrandizement

Self-what? That's a new word... *checks Hyperdictionary*

"the act of increasing the wealth or prestige or power or scope of [oneself]"

So...

--> and I had to point that out (for you)

You must be seriously bored to feel required to "have to" point out that extra information and then respond to say that they were (apprearing to you as) self-aggrandizement. I think I should start reporting more posts and give you something else to do for a while. That way, you won't be so bored.

-->so you can avoid tasting your shoes in the future

Tasting my shoes...much less, my sneakers. Just another perfect example of a usage of a meaningless cliché. Splended! *goes off to report the first 10 threads so you have something to do* :D

Mudbug
Aug 19, 2004, 01:02 AM
:eek: :D ;) :rolleyes: :confused: :p :) :o :( :D

<starts whistling "if I only had a brain...">

iMeowbot
Aug 19, 2004, 02:00 AM
The overbar and underbar are modern inventions. When overbars appeared in Roman times, they were usually used to show that a group of symbols was a number and not a word.

The strict rules about subtracting all came into being after the fall of Rome; when the system was current, usage was much more flexible. For example, 9 could as well be written as IX or VIIII or IIIIIIIII, 8 could sometimes be IIX and so on.

For big numbers, the trick is that the M wasn't originally an M. Rather, it was a forward C, vertical bar and backward C. Similarly, the D used for 500 was really a bar and a backward C. Just as the 500 symbol evolved into a D, the 1000 symbol evolved into a circle with a vertical bar, then the M.

(Below are just examples, just keep adding layers to get bigger numbers.)

anjaki
Aug 19, 2004, 02:21 AM
Does that mean that I'm disqualified?

iMeowbot
Aug 19, 2004, 02:23 AM
Ha! No, I just wanted to explain how one can write a billion :)

anjaki
Aug 19, 2004, 03:43 AM
And I always thought that one billion was a million million!

It was Winston Churchill who was quoted as saying:

"Two nations divided by a common language"

At least I now know where that leaky copper pipe is!

iMeowbot
Aug 19, 2004, 04:05 AM
And I always thought that one billion was a million million!
Yeah, US usage differs from elsewhere. http://www.jimloy.com/math/billion.htm explains.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 19, 2004, 08:26 AM
You must be seriously bored to feel required to "have to" point out that extra information and then respond to say that they were (apprearing to you as) self-aggrandizement.

Sorry - I just have a soft spot when it comes to some of your posts....dates from a long time ago, hmm, lets see, your announcement of your arrival to the site, and um, oh, yeah, the V.O.I.D? to name a few.

You're easily distracted by personal taunting and its a fun game sometimes. You're better off just ignoring it.... :p

D :D

King Cobra
Aug 19, 2004, 01:30 PM
--> I just have a soft spot when it comes to some of your posts....dates from a long time ago, hmm, lets see, your announcement of your arrival to the site

What was wrong with my first thread? That was supposed to be my introductory thread, and I didn't find anything wrong with that and still don't. I posted it to introduce myself so that I didn't start out as a complete stranger on the forums. What was so bad about that? Also, other people have had introductory threads since then, and they were congratulated and had their welcomes...but in my introductory thread, I got slammed at my just about anyone that posted in it. That was not fair to me, and never was. So what the hell was so bad or wrong about my first thread?

--> the V.O.I.D? to name a few

I already said: Enough with the void! That was well in my past and well before I developed more of an understanding of physics. Didn't you read my post back in the dry lake thread saying not to use it anymore... oh, right, you didn't read my posts (IF even correctly), because I had to restate and defend my point in that thread four times, and you still misread the posts and challenged me... now does "TIC" sound familiar to you? If not, then do a search for the lake thread, ah hell, it is this one: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=75412&page=2&pp=25

--> You're easily distracted by personal taunting and its a fun game sometimes. You're better off just ignoring it....

Read me (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/hypocrite).

So by now, you should be familiar with the definition of a hypocrite. In this case, it's you telling me to ignore something, when you insist in bringing the subject matter up. Clearly, (you) TIC can't even suggest that I ignore the issue without first bringing it up. Very tongue in cheek of you...not to mention, you say I'm easily distracted, yet you "ha[d] to" point out where a part of my post seemed self-[really long word that pseudointellects use to look smart even though they make very obvious errors and ignore any corrections about them].

Oh, gee, my bad, Mr. A. I went off on a pretty nasty rant there...well, it's just that I have a soft spot for pointing out your cocky TIC-marks. Don't worry, I'm having plenty of fun taunting with them, since they're really easy to mark. But, seriously, I have no tolerance for people with a nasty cocky attitude.

Edit: Oh, and I did not miss the point. YOU missed the damn ********** point. You knew damn ********** well what pissed me off and just had to go after me again. If you're going to piss me off again like this, then remove your moderator status, leave the forums, engrave the letters T.I.C. between your eyes, and go to hell! Jerk.

Oops, that's also part of the nasty rant I had there, again, a soft spot. You are the one that totally missed the point, not I.

Additionally, Don't Panic, it's not my personal fued. It's Mr. A personally pissing me off, i.e. HIS personal fued. You have problems with figuring out who's to blame...it's his fault, because he's taunting me as a mod and getting away with it. What a ********* ******* you are, Mr. A. ******* you, jerk! Part of your job as a mod is NOT!! to taunt or piss off others, and you're getting away with is as a mod. Sure, if I bring this up with the admin. in private, they'll say: No, he's not doing anything, KC. You're just acting immature. False promises by the entire admin: If a mod is misbehaving, bring it up in private. No, they won't do it. He's abusing his authority. THAT'S BULLS**T!! Mr. A. shouldn't be a mod. He should be banned! And I know a couple of other forum members that have HAD IT with him for being/seeming like such a jerk around others. ... and he tells me I take things way too personally. I didn't take it personally enough until now. He purposely angered me, he's a mod, and he gets away with it! IT'S PERSONAL! So it's HIS fued, not mine. Maybe it's ours.

Now, watch this: I'll get banned permanently from MR just because I ranted like this, the mods will say something like "KC is banned because he thought the mods were out to get him, and we couldn't take it anymore" (i.e. they'll lie) to anyone asking why I'm banned, and Mr. A will remain a mod for another 2 years. So if that happens, then remember this: You pissed me off FIRST! YOU deserve to get banned, not me!!

(cough, soft spot about being insulted, cough)

Mr. Anderson
Aug 19, 2004, 02:03 PM
So by now, you should be familiar with the definition of a hypocrite. In this case, it's you telling me to ignore something, when you insist in bringing the subject matter up.

ok, this is just getting a little bit silly. you've missed the point, taken things too personally and are obviously way too bothered by it all. Maybe ignoring the taunting was the wrong way to put - just let it slide and add a witty rejoinder and let it go at that. banter, you know? I never meant anything by it personally.

So I'll try and be a bit nicer from now on and try not to offer you any hurt. :p

Thanks,

D

Don't panic
Aug 19, 2004, 04:05 PM
-->
Read me (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/hypocrite).

So by now, you should be familiar with the definition of a hypocrite.

other than your personal feud, which i am not really interested in, i found this bit really hilarious in the hyperdictionary link: