Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
New York, NY
i have a sony PC9, and i know this is not directly mac related but everyone i know who shoots in dv edits on a mac, so im hoping to find someone here with some knowledge.

the problem im having is my nightshot stopped working. everything is functioning normally, except the fact that the infrared emitter (that small dull red light in the front) has stopped turning on when i turn on night shot.

anyone have any idea what could be causing this, and what size problem it is to have fixed?

thanks

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
sounds like the bulb could be out, but those things are supposed to last for awhile. Anway, go to 2-pop.com and post in their forums, ou should get an answer there.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Yer profile says you live in NY. There should be a bunch of camera shops that you could take the camera too and find out what's wrong (might even be able to do i over the phone). Have you tried contacing Sony?

Lethal

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
When did you get the camera? If it was less than 90 days ago, then return it for a new one. If not, then you might be looking at a costly repair. Always buy the extended warranty with MiniDV cams. $150 bought me 3 years extended at Tweeter Etc. Sony service charges $120 just to open the thing, I think.

My Sony PC-5 has been in for one repair. Cost: $300.

Gena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
New York, NY
pc9

thanks -- i called sony, but i waited on hold for about 30 minutes and then hung up. (i mean, literally 30 minutes.)

the 1yr warranty has run out, so youre right, im probably looking at a costly repair. thanks for the advice to always get an extended warranty -- next time i will.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Does the night shot function itself still work? If so, you may not even have to replace that lightbulb. I've always hated the way the light blows out the center of the image on my cameras, so whenever I turn on nightshot I keep a finger over the light to even things out. I've rarely been somewhere that needed the light short of absolute darkness. Your other option and probably the better one would be to use the money on a small camera light. Nightshot always looks crappy and you have to filter it into black and white anyway to use it, so lighting your shot would give you better results (unless you're trying to be sneaky). Nightshot is really just good as a consumer gimmick or a tool for Peeping Toms!

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
The night shot on my little Elura is bright, man, super bright even in next to no light. To get that way, though, it boosts the gain superhigh, and it makes tracers of any movement, trippy, but not really useful.

wwworry

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2002
I've heard that the sony nightshot, the older one anyway, can see right through thin white cotton clothing giving you the proverbial x-ray specs. Is this true?

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Originally posted by wwworry
I've heard that the sony nightshot, the older one anyway, can see right through thin white cotton clothing giving you the proverbial x-ray specs. Is this true?

yes the original sony nightshot was quite revealing... i personally wish i could get one :eek:

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Yeah. When used in the daylight the old nightshot could see through cottons. Makes you wonder what kind of spy devices the government has when Sony can produce that for consumers??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.