Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gerri Shin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Yes I realize this may be out of place in the Buying advice, but I don't know where else to ask. I inherited a Powerbook G4 12" last year.[specs at end of post] I already had a Macbook pro and had been planning on using the powerbook to take notes in class. I refurbished it as best I could and got it working fairly well, but I've decided not to use it for school.

This poses the problem, I no longer have a use for it, nor do I have the space to just keep it laying around. I'd much rather see it being used. I was thinking of either donating it to a Goodwill type organization or selling it via eBay or Craigslist.

I guess what I'm asking is what do you think would be the best destination for this mac, Donation or eBay? (What should I ask if I go eBay?)

Specs:
Powerbook G4
PowerPC 867MHz
1.25GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.4.11
Includes all documentation, original Panther restore discs as well as Tiger upgrade disc and documentation.
the body is in fair shape, there are a few dings and bends in the lower casing. Includes aftermarket power cord, original one died. Screen is in excellent shape, no scratches or dead pixels. I had to replace the hard drive, now has 80GB instead of 30GB. RAM upgraded from 256MB chip to a 1GB chip. Keyboard is fine except that it's missing the spacer above the right arrow key.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
if you donate it it's unlikely that it ends up with someone who appreciates it's value.

sell it on ebay and donate the money.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Do one of those ebay auctions where the sales price gets donated directly to hati.

Or you could always donate it to the fun173 computer collection :p

Gerri Shin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
well, I could always use the money, usually the donating aspect is for the tax break, though now I think about it, I could sell on eBay and donate the money to the red cross.
If I were to sell on eBay what would be a decent asking price for this Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.