Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Yes, yes, Apple's doing phenomenal in today's Economy...

We just had layoffs at work (I got to keep my underpaying job, but now I have more work because of the layoffs).

I don't see how this can be successful if Apple releases the thing at more than the price of a NetBook or requires some sort of cellular carrier $40/month or more plan with it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It doesn't matter. People will find a way to purchase and finance it if they truly want one.

Heck, it is stupid to get a credit card right now and guess what? People are.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Despite one of the worst economic times of recent memory, Apple had their best quarter ever. Any further questions?

Apple seems rather independent of the overall economic mood, additionally, (let's not turn this into the PSRI) it seems like the economy is recovering. Given CES and other sorts of things, the hype about this is a tad bit ridiculous.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Despite one of the worst economic times of recent memory, Apple had their best quarter ever. Any further questions?

Apple seems rather independent of the overall economic mood, additionally, (let's not turn this into the PSRI) it seems like the economy is recovering. Given CES and other sorts of things, the hype about this is a tad bit ridiculous.

I guess it's possible if they rely on the iPhone's/iPod Touch's success rather than come up with some "dreamy" new expensive device.

The economy is not recovering - I know of a few people that just lost their jobs and I've been totally unsuccessful finding anything at all better... that's just media/government hype.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I guess it's possible if they rely on the iPhone's/iPod Touch's success rather than come up with some "dreamy" new expensive device.

The economy is not recovering - I know of a few people that just lost their jobs and I've been totally unsuccessful finding anything at all better... that's just media/government hype.

Alert the media: This guy knows a few people!

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

The job market is not the economy.

If Apple (and others) were to stop creating new products due to a down economy things would never get better.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Many people who aren't in the real world yet are delusional enough to believe things are looking up. :rolleyes:

Back to my thought though, if people want it they'll find a way to get it. The glowing Apple doesn't hurt matter either.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Many people who aren't in the real world yet are delusional enough to believe things are looking up. :rolleyes:

What's this "real world" you speak of?

This one?

realworldkeywestbg8.jpg

hard-case

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
I don't see how this can be successful if Apple releases the thing at more than the price of a NetBook or requires some sort of cellular carrier $40/month or more plan with it.

If companies like Motion Computing (and a few others I don't recall the names of right now) can stay in business selling slate PCs in the $2000-3000 range, why would it be so insane for Apple to do the same at half the price?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Yes, yes, Apple's doing phenomenal in today's Economy...

We just had layoffs at work (I got to keep my underpaying job, but now I have more work because of the layoffs).

So they should stop selling MacBook Pros. And stop those fancy new iMacs. Not update the Mac Pros?

It's successful when people buy their product. That's been happening a fair bit lately. Apple's pricing will have been well thought out. Just because you, me, or some of the rest on this forum may not be able to afford one, doesn't mean it won't sell.

I hear they still sell things called houses and cars... ;)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
OK, let me put on my professor hat.

A recession does not mean people stop buying things. A recession means the economy contracted for two quarters -- people started buying fewer things. The job market is a stinker, but guess what would happen if Apple took the OP's advice and just stopped making new things? People don't buy whatever, Apple doesn't have a need to open a new Apple Store here or there, maybe hire some new tech support people or engineers, etc.

Companies like Apple are what will help the world emerge from its problems. Apple didn't spend all crazy, and so it has a lot of cash on hand. Last year, Apple cut prices on its computers, which means less of a profit margin. Apple can also expand its operations when others can't, maybe with a tablet/slate division. In theory, the people with disposable income will buy some of this and it trickles down -- sorry, best term I could think of.

Businesses expanding and governments not having to cut services will be keys in getting things back up. I want people around here to remember that budget cuts from governments usually mean laying people off. I know it's usually necessary, but it compounds the problem when people are laid off. I was glad I could afford to buy a foreclosed home, therefore putting some tax dollars in the system and helping me out in the future. If I were a rich little duck, I'd want to find some way to hire some people or do something to put money into the system where the bottom earners get more than will be spent on stuff that we make here -- maybe.

OK, enough of a rant. But basically Apple isn't wrong to do this. As someone else mentioned, Mac sales were up last year. Just because the overall economy is in the dumps doesn't mean certain sectors aren't hot.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Here is Steve's take
Q: Many tech companies have cut research and development spending because they believe the industry is slowing down. You haven't. Why?
A: What has happened in technology over the last few years has been about the downturn, not the future of technology. A lot of companies have chosen to downsize, and maybe that was the right thing for them. We chose a different path. Our belief was that if we kept putting great products in front of [customers], they would continue to open their wallets.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
:confused: Its a debit card so surely its simply pulling the money straight out of your account.

Yes it is but because it's a Mastercard debit card, it still includes all of the benefits that a real Mastercard credit card would have such as breakage protection, extra year of warranty, etc. The 0% interest is a joke because well. I won't have any interest.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Oh, for Pete's sake. That makes your credit card effectively a debit card. You are supporting SpaceKitty's point.
No. Cashback for one. Ability to defer payment 30 days, which can be good to take advantage of an offer before you have the cash (like payday) for another. My bank doesn't offer warranty protection for debit purchases, for a third. Improve your credit score by routinely using and paying off your card, for a fourth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.