Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lutherd672

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
I don't know a whole lot about interfaces as far as which one is the best for the buck. MY limit is $300 for now, but would like to spend $200. My question is Would there be a noticable difference worth $100 in buying the tascam US-1641, or would I be ok getting an M-Audio fast track, or something along those price lines? My main concern is 0, or VERY low latency. If anyone has any experience with these interfaces, please let me know.

Thanks alot

Luther D

mesq

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
If you are willing to spend $300 go the Focusrite Saffire Pro

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?type=Model&keyword=6600&mid=165&lbs=7

I've used the M-Audio Fast Track Pro extensively - Mostly for Djing/ Live electronic music.

I would never use it for serious recording - the preamps are shocking. Also the main output levels seem somewhat lower than other interfaces. In short even though I have gotten 3 years of good use out of it, I would not recommend it for anybody. It is like the tonka toys of music production.

Focusrite are the good mid range option.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Echo "AudioFire 4".

Can be found for $299 at discount.

Requires firewire - won't work with USB.

Good preamps, good converters, ample inputs.

lutherd672

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
It's been awhile since I checked; Thanks for all the replies!

Im running logic 9. I have an imac quadcore 2.8ghz i7 processor.

What I wound up doing last week was going to GC, being impulsive, and buying a tascam 144mkII for $150. Now, I'm wondering if I should return it and hold out for something different. I haven't had much time to mess with it, but it seems pretty solid? A couple of issues with output volume with my headphones, but that's all I've notice so far.

I guess what I need to know is if there's a big difference in sound quality, latency performance, processing speed, etc.... in this model and one that might be a few hundred more, I would like to stay within $400, but would be willing to go further if there would be a huge difference in performance. I just don't want to buy something because of the name, but if there is a sincere reason for the money difference, I would be willing to pay for quality. Any thoughts are invited.

Lastly, I noticed a difference in 24/96 and 24/192? in some (such as m audio 26/26, and motu something or other). Is this a VERY noticable difference?

Thanks alot

Luther

lutherd672

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
thanks for the input!

If you are willing to spend $300 go the Focusrite Saffire Pro

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?type=Model&keyword=6600&mid=165&lbs=7

I've used the M-Audio Fast Track Pro extensively - Mostly for Djing/ Live electronic music.

I would never use it for serious recording - the preamps are shocking. Also the main output levels seem somewhat lower than other interfaces. In short even though I have gotten 3 years of good use out of it, I would not recommend it for anybody. It is like the tonka toys of music production.

Focusrite are the good mid range option.

lutherd672

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
when I get a mic worth recording with, I will! for now, line in
What are you recording from? Microphones or line level? If line level you can save a bundle because you don't care about the preamps.

I'm looking at a Presonus "Audiobox" for $150.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
tascam 144mkII for $150. [...]
I guess what I need to know is if there's a big difference in sound quality, latency performance, processing speed, etc.... in this model and one that might be a few hundred more,

imho, stop worrying about it and make music. start saving up for a good mic, it'll make more of a difference in sound quality. and save money for some bass traps.

lutherd672

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
You might be right. I do have the ability to over analyze things. Is it true that the mic would be a better investment for what I'm wanting?

imho, stop worrying about it and make music. start saving up for a good mic, it'll make more of a difference in sound quality. and save money for some bass traps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.