Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TDHXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
I'm currently running windows 7 on my 27" iMac, now that bootcamp has been updated do I need to do a clean install or is it fine to just update over the top?

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003
I'm currently running windows 7 on my 27" iMac, now that bootcamp has been updated do I need to do a clean install or is it fine to just update over the top?

According to the new Apple Windows 7 faq, you're good to go for just updating...

Check out Apple's new Windows 7 faq for answers:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986

see below....
How do I install Windows 7?

First, use Software Update to ensure your computer's Mac OS X operating system, Boot ROM, other firmware and software are up-to-date before installing Windows 7.

You'll need both your Mac OS X v10.6 installation and Windows 7 installation discs. Here is the general process:

1. Install Windows 7 using the Boot Camp Setup Assistant (located in /Applications/Utilities), which partitions your hard drive and walks you through the installation process. The process differs depending on whether you are performing a new install of Windows 7 or an upgrade install from an earlier version of Windows (see Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide for more information).
2. After completing the Windows 7 installation, install the Apple Boot Camp Windows drivers from your Mac OS X v10.6 (or later) Install DVD.
3. Upgrade the drivers to Version 3.1 with Windows Apple Software Update, or manually download them from here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.