Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mafetapaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
I've changed my imac's superdrive with a SSD disk, but now i would like to install windows 7 on the 1TB default disk. Is there a way to install windows 7 using an external usb/firewire drive or an external usb dvd drive?
I've got the original dvd of windows 7 and a ISO of it...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Windows is just not designed to run from an external/removable drive.

You have three options.

Another approach is to use VMWare to create a generic install and modify that to run on physical hardware.

http://www.msfn.org/board/install-w...ard-disk-t136401-pid-902121.html&#entry902121

B

Mafetapaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
What about the first option? creating a small boot partition? and then how should i proceed?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
What about the first option? creating a small boot partition? and then how should i proceed?

Just follow the standard Boot Camp instructions and use the external for data. You can create an NTFS partition on it with Disk Utility and use that for Windows.

I wouldn't go any smaller than 20 GB on the internal.

B

Mafetapaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Can you rell me step by step ehat ishould do? I've got Teo hardware drives inside the mac and want to install on the second drive, not the one with snow Leopard...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I apologize profusely. I completely misread your original post and apparently no-one has chimed in to correct me!

Here's Microsoft's step-by-step guide on how to do what you really want http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

If you don't have access to a Windows machine, use your ISO to install it in VMWare (DO NOT ACTIVATE IT YET) and use that to follow the guide.

B

Mafetapaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
ok, perfect guide to create the USB! right now i have win xp installed on 100GB partition, should I format it? After that, should I use boot camp or just boot the mac with OPTION pressed and choose the usb drive to start the install?

Mafetapaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
ok, i've created the usb stick, but it doesn't boot when i start the imac with OPTION or C pressed down... And boot camp can't see the usb drive...

how can i install it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.