Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

askfareed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Hi,
I have lots of plugins and filters and things like that installed on final cut express. If i was to install final cut pro will i have all those plugins in final cut pro as well, or i will i have to install it again?

Can i have FCP and FCE on the same mac?

I don't have the dvd's for those plugins anymore so i don't want to have to buy them again unless i have to.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
1. I'm not 100% positive, but I think FCP would actually store its plugins in a differently named folder than FCE does, so if that's the case, you would have to reinstall your plugins for them to work in FCP.

A lot of third-party Final Cut plugins are generally stored in a /Plugins folder. In FCP it's under "/Library/Application Support/Final Cut Pro System Support", but I'm not quite sure where FCE would put it. For these plugins, you should be able to copy them from one location to another.

However, some 3rd-party plugins (like FxFactory, Red Giant, Magic Bullet, etc.) also have copy protection schemes (serial number and/or activation) and need to be reinstalled using the discs they came from.

2. Never tried running FCE and FCP on the same machine, so I don't really have a straight answer for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.