Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
Hi all, here are some photos that I took, honest critique are very much welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_7037.jpg
    DSC_7037.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_6407.jpg
    DSC_6407.jpg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_6412.jpg
    DSC_6412.jpg
    732.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_6499.jpg
    DSC_6499.jpg
    921 KB · Views: 59

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
1 2
3 4

#1- Fairly pedestrian subject, but otherwise it looks like you got a nice effect with the available lighting.

#2,3 - Flower pictures are boring. #2 is the more interesting shot, though.

#4- not great. Image looks flat... subject crowds the frame. Almost looks like it was taken by accident.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia

#4- not great. Image looks flat... subject crowds the frame. Almost looks like it was taken by accident.

Hallo miles01110, thanks for your honest critique, appreciate it, btw, can you explain more what do you mean by image looks flat? thanks

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
One interesting subject.

All four photos are well exposed and technically fine.

But the first flower is the only one I want to spend more than two seconds looking at. Very interesting shapes in there to go with the terrific colors.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
attachment.php

This is a beautiful macro shot. You got sharp focus at the point of visual resolution, and the OOF areas lend a painterly, mystical quality to the image. It looks like tentacles emerging out of a fiery nebula. Nonetheless, I think the composition could be a bit stronger. The flower is not completely centered, but the point of resolution lands too close to the center, and the bottom part of the flower is slipping out of the frame too much.

As for the others, again, you have compositional problems. Try experimenting with the "rule of thirds" as a starting point (google it if you're not familiar with the term). Your photos are too centered and therefore static. The eye is naturally attracted to the center of anything with four edges (that is, all photos), so by placing your subject/point of resolution outside of the center, you encourage the eye to travel. The longer you can keep the eye moving around in a frame, the more successful your photo will be.

Also, keep in mind that you are responsible for everything in the frame; anything that is not helping the photo shouldn't be there. Look into the corners when you're composing. Move around and up and down to get the best angle.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
As for the others, again, you have compositional problems.

you're right, I try to learn the composition,
I know that other than no. 1, it's all in the center of the frame. I was told that in macro photography (especially flower), need to be put in the center. I was wrong. But isn't it in photo no. 1 , it's already comfirm to the rule of third?
Thanks

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
you're right, I try to learn the composition,
I know that other than no. 1, it's all in the center of the frame. I was told that in macro photography (especially flower), need to be put in the center. I was wrong. But isn't it in photo no. 1 , it's already comfirm to the rule of third?
Thanks

In the first one, the lamp is centered vertically in the frame, although it is offset to the right. Also, the thin strip of wall at the right isn't quite working, and the blob of something at the bottom detracts from the silhouette of the light. It leaves me wondering what other angle you could have chosen to either eliminate those distractions or else make them work for you.

Whoever told you that macro shots should be in the center of the frame was giving you bad advice. The basic guidelines of composition apply to all types of photographs, whether they are landscapes, macro, nights shots, or anything else. Learn those rules/guidelines, and then you'll learn when it makes sense to bend or break them.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
In the first one, the lamp is centered vertically in the frame, although it is offset to the right. Also, the thin strip of wall at the right isn't quite working, and the blob of something at the bottom detracts from the silhouette of the light. It leaves me wondering what other angle you could have chosen to either eliminate those distractions or else make them work for you.

Thanks, I'll try to photo again using rule of third, thanks alot. Really appreciated. One question though, if I left the thin strip of the wall, and just crop it, wouldn't it be like something missing? (the lamp is not anchor). Sorry for my english

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.