Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
The situation is this:
I run a VPN server at home on leopard server
I have a G4 mini running 10.4 server at work that connects to home as a VPN client. This gives me access to home server from work and using remote desktop from home I can also access files on work network using the G4 and bounce them on

I want to know if it is possible to set up the system so that I can access the work server by routing through the home server, backwards over the VPN tunnel and through the G4. I don't have control of the work firewall to set things up the other way around.
Cheers

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Saying backward or forward in regards to a VPN tunnel is confusing, to say the least. :)

What you're wanting to do is possible; it's done all the time. It's called a site-to-site VPN.

Now, is it possible with your equipment? I don't know for sure.

Ultimately, you need two VPN endpoints, where the tunnel terminates. On each side of the tunnel, you configure the VPN endpoint, such as your server, to tunnel any traffic for the remote network to the other VPN endpoint's IP.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I want to know if it is possible to set up the system so that I can access the work server by routing through the home server

As belvdr says, 'backwards' through a VPN tunnel doesn't mean very much. The tunnel already works both ways. If you want to talk to the work server (the VPN client), all you need to know is it's IP address as assigned by your home VPN service.

nb: the title of your post and the contents of your post aren't consistent. You aren't going to connect two networks together this way - but you can access the work server which connects to your home server, just not any other machine on the work network (well, not trivially).

A.

dazey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Yeah, sorry I know the terminology was wrong but I was just seeking a way to explain the problem. Sounds like the answer is no, not trivially. It is other machines on the work network that I am trying to connect to. Thanks anyway!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.