PDA

View Full Version : iBook - Tiger or Leopard?

Joewebster
Jan 20, 2010, 01:39 PM
I recently bought an iBook with a 1.33 GHz processor, 1 GB of ram, and a 60 GB hard drive. It's still 3 to 8 days until it gets delivered, but I was doing some thinking, and couldn't decide between Tiger and Leopard. It comes with Tiger and iLife (not sure what version of iLife). My brother has a Leopard install disk that he says he'll lend me if I want to install it.

I am leaning toward Leopard, but only because it has a nicer GUI, in my opinion at least. I'll probably use Tiger on it for a week before deciding to whether upgrade or not.

spinnerlys
Jan 20, 2010, 01:41 PM
Tiger.

I had Leopard on a 1GHz G4 iBook with 1.25GB of RAM and it was not as fluent as Tiger.

PS: The Leopard DVD from your brother might not work, if it is the gray restore DVD(s) that came with his Mac.

Joewebster
Jan 20, 2010, 02:00 PM
Tiger.

I had Leopard on a 1GHz G4 iBook with 1.25GB of RAM and it was not as fluent as Tiger.

PS: The Leopard DVD from your brother might not work, if it is the gray restore DVD(s) that came with his Mac.

It's just a generic installation dvd, so it should work right?

spinnerlys
Jan 20, 2010, 02:27 PM
It's just a generic installation dvd, so it should work right?

Legally no.

Maim
Jan 20, 2010, 02:30 PM
you're brothers leopard disk should install ok, but i strongly recommend you stay with tiger as it will run much much faster.

brendu
Jan 20, 2010, 02:36 PM
I had an ibook g4 1ghz with 1.25 gigs of ram and leopard ran fine. I would say if you want it, go for it. Just dont expect macbook like performance. And max out your ram to ensure it runs as smooth as possible.