PDA

View Full Version : Apple Keynote Predictions for Macbook Air

findingforever
Jan 20, 2010, 02:08 PM
I ended up pulling the trigger on a Macbook Air yesterday for school and now am having buyers remorse. Although my needs are limited, 4gb of ram and some extra battery life would do wonders. Luckily, I haven't opened the box yet.

Having said that, from everything I have read, Macbook Pros seem more likely than Airs to be upgraded at the Keynote (haven't heard many rumors about the Air what so ever) and if so might return the Air and get an updated Pro if indeed they do get upgraded. What are the chances an Air might be upgraded at the Keynote? Surely nobody knows but Apple but an educated guess would be great! If you feel they won't get updated at the Keynote, an educated prediction would be helpful or if there are rumors that would suggest a later time, a link.

Thanks in Advance!

miles01110
Jan 20, 2010, 02:11 PM
Even if the MBA is updated and the MBP is not, the MBP will be a better machine in every area except weight. The Air hasn't been updated in a while, though, so it's due.

findingforever
Jan 20, 2010, 02:15 PM
True. But the extra portability, lack of a super drive and an array of ports which I would rarely use make the air more appealing. Do most people assume the Air and Pros will be updated at the same time like the last revision?

halledise
Jan 21, 2010, 05:12 AM
I ended up pulling the trigger on a Macbook Air yesterday for school and now am having buyers remorse. Although my needs are limited, 4gb of ram and some extra battery life would do wonders. Luckily, I haven't opened the box yet.

Having said that, from everything I have read, Macbook Pros seem more likely than Airs to be upgraded at the Keynote (haven't heard many rumors about the Air what so ever) and if so might return the Air and get an updated Pro if indeed they do get upgraded. What are the chances an Air might be upgraded at the Keynote? Surely nobody knows but Apple but an educated guess would be great! If you feel they won't get updated at the Keynote, an educated prediction would be helpful or if there are rumors that would suggest a later time, a link.

Thanks in Advance!

don't go there with 2nd guessing yourself.
you were happy to buy it then, be happy with it now.
the Air is the best notebook for your needs by the sounds of it.
having come off 3x MBPro's I know.

there will be no updates to the MB Pro or Air line next week else it'd distract from the iPad tablet

crack open your Air and enjoy it!

coast1ja
Jan 21, 2010, 07:42 AM
Take it out of the box and your buyer's remorse will fade away!

Anonymous Freak
Jan 21, 2010, 10:26 AM
To quote myself from another thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9116865&postcount=4):

My guess: Air will get the Core i5 520UM, a 1.06 GHz (turbo to 1.86 GHz,) ultra-low-voltage part with onboard graphics. (The mobile integrated graphics parts have the interesting benefit that they will trade CPU speed for GPU speed, if the GPU needs more power and the CPU isn't at full load; to maintain power margin. So if you're playing a low-CPU-usage game, the CPU will stay at 1.06 GHz, but the GPU will turbo up. If you're compressing a video, the GPU will stay slow, but the CPU will crank up to 1.86 GHz.) MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE a CTO Core i7-640UM (1.2 GHz, turbo to 2.26 GHz, same Wattage envelope.)

That was my 'base guess' on CPU/GPU. I further guesstimate that it will have 4 GB RAM soldered, POSSIBLY (but doubtful) with one DIMM slot available for expansion. Updated hard drive choices. Full multi-touch buttonless glass trackpad like the rest of the line, and MAYBE the 'black border' glass like the Pros. (I can see them not doing it in the Air simply because of the slight extra weight and thickness required.)

What I would like to see in the Air: discrete graphics, even if only slightly-updated-9400M-equivalent. SMALLER! Make it an 11.5" screen (preferably OLED) with very small bezel (which, by my calculation, is exactly the size that would allow it to be exactly as wide as their current notebook keyboard; so it would look like a wide-screen 12" PowerBook G4, where the edge of the notebook is the edge of the keyboard.) Wireless USB would be nice, but it's foundering even on the Windows side; as would Wireless HDMI. (Both are official standards of their respective bodies, they're just not too popular.)

glitch44
Jan 21, 2010, 11:22 AM
I don't think there will be an Air update in January.

They're focused on the tablet.

Thunder82
Jan 21, 2010, 11:43 AM
I don't think there will be an Air update in January.

They're focused on the tablet.

I think we'll see an update this month, but it's not going to be major like everyone else is saying. (OLED? you've got to be kidding) I imagine we'll see 4GB memory and maybe a slightly quicker C2D chip.

halledise
Jan 21, 2010, 01:38 PM
I think we'll see an update this month, but it's not going to be major like everyone else is saying. (OLED? you've got to be kidding) I imagine we'll see 4GB memory and maybe a slightly quicker C2D chip.

ain't gonna happen - glitch44 is right; the iPad/Slate/Tab is the next big thing, why swamp it with anything else hardware

peterho
Jan 21, 2010, 01:56 PM
I don't understand why people keep comparing Air to Pro. Air has ultra portability and classy style. I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro, top of the line at the time, but now I'm using my Air 99.5% of time, both at work and at home. 4GB of RAM doesn't make my Pro more enjoyable to me. In a normal day of use I would open Mail, Calendar, The Hit List, Word, Powerpoint, Endnote, Papers, and Safari (couple of tabs) all together and not having problem with it (at least 500 MB of RAM left unused, inactive and free combined). And the Runcore SSD makes Air WAY FASTER than my Pro.

Determine needs and make up the mind!

byke
Jan 21, 2010, 02:02 PM
My money is there will be virtually no more updates, and the MBA will be slowly fazed out.

Scottsdale
Jan 21, 2010, 03:39 PM
DON'T OPEN THAT BOX! I have a feeling the updates a week away will be well worth the wait. You're buying 7+ month old technology, for 7+ month old pricing. It's absolutely a terrible value to buy any Mac 7+ months in. The MBA has been updated at 8 month averages over the past two years, and there's no reason to believe it will not be updated in less than a week on the 27th at the Apple media event.

The best value of any Mac is buying it right when it's released. You are probably six days away from a new MBA and getting the MBA at its best value.

I expect... 2.13 GHz Penryn Core 2 Duo, Nvidia GPU/Chipset (or if Arrandale CPU is included, an ATI dedicated graphics system will be included), 4 GB RAM, 192 GB SSD, and glass trackpad. I also expect think there could be some design changes, and a completely new feature not found on any other Mac - I expect it to be a different display technology - OLED/HD (higher resolution)/3D (doubtful but could happen).

Even if it's only a few minor updates, like to 4 GB RAM, better GPU, larger SSD, and glass trackpad, IT WILL BE WELL WORTH THE WAIT! Apple often disappoints us, but no matter what we will most likely get these updates. I say, wait six days and see what happens. Perhaps the new system will not offer any advantages or it will not change, in that case it could see another price drop. If that happens that will be yet another reason to wait.

Good luck.

nj-mac-user
Jan 21, 2010, 04:36 PM
My money is there will be virtually no more updates, and the MBA will be slowly fazed out.

I second that. Also, a Core i5 in a MBA?? Highly highly doubt it. Wouldn't that be a downgrade anyway graphics wise from the C2D and 9400M (which I don't think Apple would do).

thejadedmonkey
Jan 21, 2010, 04:42 PM
DON'T OPEN THAT BOX!

Seconded. Unless you NEED a Macbook Air right now, don't open it. Wait. You'll be happier, and without any buyer's remorse.

Veinticinco
Jan 21, 2010, 04:46 PM
DON'T OPEN THAT BOX! I have a feeling the updates a week away will be well worth the wait. You're buying 7+ month old technology, for 7+ month old pricing. It's absolutely a terrible value to buy any Mac 7+ months in. The MBA has been updated at 8 month averages over the past two years, and there's no reason to believe it will not be updated in less than a week on the 27th at the Apple media event.

The best value of any Mac is buying it right when it's released. You are probably six days away from a new MBA and getting the MBA at its best value.

I expect... 2.13 GHz Penryn Core 2 Duo, Nvidia GPU/Chipset (or if Arrandale CPU is included, an ATI dedicated graphics system will be included), 4 GB RAM, 192 GB SSD, and glass trackpad. I also expect think there could be some design changes, and a completely new feature not found on any other Mac - I expect it to be a different display technology - OLED/HD (higher resolution)/3D (doubtful but could happen).

Even if it's only a few minor updates, like to 4 GB RAM, better GPU, larger SSD, and glass trackpad, IT WILL BE WELL WORTH THE WAIT! Apple often disappoints us, but no matter what we will most likely get these updates. I say, wait six days and see what happens. Perhaps the new system will not offer any advantages or it will not change, in that case it could see another price drop. If that happens that will be yet another reason to wait.

Good luck.
Hello there old-timer, seems we're back at that time again.

To be honest, after waiting the best part of a year for a decent update, and having been continually disappointed, I must admit I'm scaling down my expectations and enthusiasm this time round.

I just hope they do something to tart up what has become the Monica Bellucci of portable Macs. Elegant and beautiful but getting on a bit and still inexplicably lacking recognition and (star) power.

Will I bite at the merely inevitable 4GB RAM and CPU speed bump? Begrudgingly but very possibly.
Glass trackpad? Meh.
Connectivity? Pfff. Yawn.
Increased size SSD? Now we're talking.
Greatly improved battery tech? Where's my VISA card?
New display size/design? Well, the good lord gave us TWO kidneys didn't he?

Gimmicky tablet, sorry "iPad" or not, the MBA has wormed its way a little into my soul and despite my best efforts to 'move on' following abortive purchases of Rev.A and 3 Rev.Bs, I still feel the urge. And I suspect there's many out there who feel the same.

Six days and counting...

glitch44
Jan 21, 2010, 05:00 PM
If there were major changes coming, we would've heard about leaks from the manufacturer by now-- OLED screen part numbers, rumors of chip purchases, camera phone photos of mockups. Nothing's been leaking except tablet rumors.

Thunder82
Jan 21, 2010, 07:52 PM
ain't gonna happen - glitch44 is right; the iPad/Slate/Tab is the next big thing, why swamp it with anything else hardware

Basically all of Apples product lines are past typical product update cycles (except iMac) We have to see something soon...

Anonymous Freak
Jan 21, 2010, 08:05 PM
I second that. Also, a Core i5 in a MBA?? Highly highly doubt it. Wouldn't that be a downgrade anyway graphics wise from the C2D and 9400M (which I don't think Apple would do).

I don't know why the MBA wouldn't have a Core i5, or even Core i7. Intel now makes "Ultra Low Voltage" versions of both that draw as little as 18W. The Core 2 Duo in the current MacBook Air are the SL9400 or SL9600, both of which draw 17W. Apple could either use the 1 Watt higher power draw processor (for Intel processors, 'max power draw' is really a theoretical thing; they just about never hit that, so the 1W difference may not really matter,) or Apple could slightly underclock the chip.

The big benefit is that for this new Core i5/i7, 18W is for the CPU+Northbridge/GPU. Before, 17W was just for the CPU, the Northbridge/GPU draws more power. (Although both the Core 2 Duo+GeForce 9400M and the Core i5/i7+HM55 or HM57 chipset are two-chip solutions, it's just a matter of which CPU+chipset combination draws less. I'm betting that the new Core i5/7+HM5x will draw less.)

nj-mac-user
Jan 21, 2010, 08:08 PM
I know this might be a crazy way of looking at it because it'd be so disappointing if it were true... but if history were to repeat itself with MBA updates, we'd be looking at:

Rev. A - 1.6 80GB HDD, 1.86 64GB SSD
Rev. B - 1.6 120GB HDD, 1.86 128GB SSD
Rev. C - 1.86 120GB, 2.13 128SSD
Rev. D - 1.86 Larger HDD, 2.13 Larger SSD

Small incremental updates (with the exception of 9400M). Basically, it'd be time for the hard drive space to be upgraded again and processor remain the same. A larger hard drive would be a very welcome change, but hopefully I'm way off. Who knows.

Scottsdale
Jan 21, 2010, 11:40 PM
Hello there old-timer, seems we're back at that time again.

To be honest, after waiting the best part of a year for a decent update, and having been continually disappointed, I must admit I'm scaling down my expectations and enthusiasm this time round.

I just hope they do something to tart up what has become the Monica Bellucci of portable Macs. Elegant and beautiful but getting on a bit and still inexplicably lacking recognition and (star) power.

Will I bite at the merely inevitable 4GB RAM and CPU speed bump? Begrudgingly but very possibly.
Glass trackpad? Meh.
Connectivity? Pfff. Yawn.
Increased size SSD? Now we're talking.
Greatly improved battery tech? Where's my VISA card?
New display size/design? Well, the good lord gave us TWO kidneys didn't he?

Gimmicky tablet, sorry "iPad" or not, the MBA has wormed its way a little into my soul and despite my best efforts to 'move on' following abortive purchases of Rev.A and 3 Rev.Bs, I still feel the urge. And I suspect there's many out there who feel the same.

Six days and counting...

Howdy. Nice to see you here. It has been a while. Seven plus months since we had this discussion, I suspect.

The thing people have to remember about the last update is that it wasn't a spectacular update in terms of specs, just a CPU bump, but it did offer a full $700 price cut on the high-end model. That was a gigantic cut, that made the high end the same price as the low end was just a day prior to the announcement. I have tried to tell everyone since, that the MBA with 2.13 GHz and SSD was a great value already and that they shouldn't try to save $300 and go low end. They were already getting the low end price for the high end model.

I agree the MBA update could be rather boring again, but if that's the case I believe Apple will again cut the price. We could see the exact same CPU series and even the same Nvidia 9400m. Apple could really be frustrated with the Intel's forced IGP scam. In addition, we all know that Mac's OS X isn't nearly as efficient at Flash, Quicktime or any intensive graphics playback. I keep seeing a few stating that the Intel IGP 4500HD would still allow HD playback, but I wonder if that's even true on OS X? I don't personally know, and it's not that I am stating that it wouldn't, but maybe it wouldn't? I could see 100% CPU load playing a video... and the Intel IGP makes OpenCL almost pointless. What is the reason for even moving to Snow Leopard then?

So, if we see the same SL9x00 LV CPUs, and Nvidia 9400m or 105m graphics, we could see a 4 GB RAM bump and an SSD bump or not and MAYBE NOTHING ELSE??? What would happen to the price? I think it could go all the way down to $1299 base... and barrier to entry is lessened again. High end might be $1499 with same 128 GB SSD or more money if there's a larger SSD option.

Would it be so bad if the MBA saw another bump like I am suggesting could happen? Yes, it would to those of us who are looking for a high-end ultraportable, but it would be the perfect solution for all of the people that would otherwise be "stuck" with a MacBook. I am sure people would be willing to put that extra $300 on their credit card or save up for an extra month before buying to go the extra bit for the system that's more fun. As a whole, it would potentially be better for Apple to go this route... so let's not rule it out. We all agree that the MBA is fun. We mostly all agree that the MBA's form factor is where the Mac notebook line is going over the next five years or so.

In my perfect world, it's time for a real MBA update. We get a new form factor that removes the dead space around the keyboard and display and the form factor loses an inch in width and length. The thickness stays fairly similar in this "perfect" MBA... it cannot go much thinner to get our LV CPU and necessary components in there. Apple decides not to need to introduce the thinnest ultraportable. Apple finally gives us an incredible display worthy of the MacBook "Air" brand and price point. Maybe it's OLED or maybe it's just a higher resolution HD display (either way it's correction for the past mistakes). The Arrandale CPU is used and we get a dedicated ATI graphics solution (or maybe we just get the same SL9600 and Nvidia 105m) - not so bad either way. We get 4 GB of RAM - THIS IS WHAT MANY ARE HOLDING OUT FOR! We get a larger SSD maybe 192 GB maybe more. We get a glass trackpad and the "black" aluminum that sets the MBA apart from the MBPs "plain" aluminum. Would we want more, sure... we all would find some reason to complain. But this is as good as it could get in one update.

Will my dream MBA come true? I doubt it, but there's no reason to give up hope just yet. With five days and twelve hours to go, let's not discount Apple just yet. Either way is going to be an improvement over what we have now. Sure it might be a "small" bump, but it's still going to have 4 GB of RAM. Sure it might be "stuck" at 2.13 GHz, but it might cost $300 less?

I am excited. I will upgrade no matter what the update includes or doesn't. That's just the truth, because I am an addict! It's not a drug, it doesn't cost my family our home, it doesn't put me in jail, it isn't going to get me killed... but I may just go through withdrawal, if I don't get any update. So whatever update I get, I will buy it because it's new, and I am addicted to the MacBook Air!

nj-mac-user
Jan 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
@ehurtley

Based on the latest rumors you appear to be dead right!

glitch44
Jan 22, 2010, 01:05 PM
In case others missed the front page post:

Potential MacBook Air Update Delayed Due to Chip Shortage?
Friday January 22, 2010 10:42 AM EST
Written by Eric Slivka
Hardmac reports that new ultra-low voltage Intel chips, introduced earlier this month as part of a major roll-out in conjunction with CES and presumably destined for the next revision to Apple's MacBook Air, are not yet being produced in mass quantities. The delay in chip availability may result in Apple having to push back the introduction of updated MacBook Air models by several weeks or else offer Intel a premium price to snap up limited quantities of the chips currently available and in production.
According to the last rumors, the MacBook Air might not be updated in a very near future with either Core i3/i5 has it uses Low Voltage version of the Intel mobile CPUs. Such processors are not fully ready/available and Apple will have to delay the update of the MacBook Air by couple of weeks. It is still possible that Intel ships first samples to Apple, in small quantities, at a premium price.

According to our buyer's guide, Apple's MacBook Air is nearing the end of its usual product cycle, and when combined with the new chips from Intel, many have thought that a product update might be in store in the near future. The company's MacBook Pro and Mac Pro models are also reaching the end of their usual update cycles, leaving several opportunities for imminent Mac hardware updates.

Apple has scheduled a media event for next Wednesday, where the company is widely rumored to be introducing its tablet device, as well as possible details on iPhone OS 4.0. There have been no reports of refreshed Mac hardware being announced at the event, as Apple may prefer to spend its limited time in front of the media focused on its handheld products.

coast1ja
Jan 22, 2010, 01:46 PM
Yes, using logic... if they are delaying the update for "a few weeks" due to a chip shortage... there must be an update penned for the near future. It wouldn't surprise me to see them announce it at the meeting in less than a week!

halledise
Jan 22, 2010, 01:46 PM

Good luck.

with all due respect Scottsdale - it ain't gonna happen (the MBA etc updates)
later maybe. why would Apple swamp a brand new product line with other updated portables?
it doesn't make sense, commercially or otherwise.

my advice to 'findingforever' would be to have a chat with a Genius at the Store where he purchased the Air and find out what the options are for exchanging the Air and more importantly what time frame is there for doing so.
If memory serves correctly, it's around 10 days

Anonymous Freak
Jan 22, 2010, 01:48 PM
with all due respect scottsdale - it ain't gonna happen (the MBA etc updates)
later maybe. why would Apple swamp a brand new product line with other updated portables it doesn't make sense, commercially or otherwise.

Why later? The keynote is on Wednesday. Apple often does 'spec bump' updates (sometimes even architecture bumps,) on Tuesdays. Why not have the MBP/MBA update as a quiet update on Tuesday?

halledise
Jan 22, 2010, 01:50 PM
Why later? The keynote is on Wednesday. Apple often does 'spec bump' updates (sometimes even architecture bumps,) on Tuesdays. Why not have the MBP/MBA update as a quiet update on Tuesday?

for this reason also:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/22/potential-macbook-air-update-delayed-due-to-chip-shortage/

halledise
Jan 22, 2010, 02:03 PM
and here's an opinion from Ecto1 on Australia's Mactalk site:

'I think it will down like this. Steve will come out and do his whole spiel about how strong Apple is and that they have some exciting things to show us today. It will go in this order:
iPhone OS 4.0
mac
iLife '10

Steve will then thank everyone for coming. At that point Steve goes "Oh just one more thing. We made a new ad! and we would like to show you it."

Mactagonist
Jan 22, 2010, 02:12 PM
The event on the 27th is going to be about iPhone OS 4, lots of software talk (gaming and maybe iLife '10) and the Tablet. Not 'boring stuff' like computers. I expect them to be silently refreshed the day before the event.

glitch44
Jan 22, 2010, 03:14 PM
Yes, using logic... if they are delaying the update for "a few weeks" due to a chip shortage... there must be an update penned for the near future. It wouldn't surprise me to see them announce it at the meeting in less than a week!

Actually, the story doesn't really confirm an update of the Air. They're saying if there was an update of the Air planned it would definitely be delayed because of the chip delay. The chip could just be delayed on its own with no correlation to an Air update.

Scottsdale
Jan 22, 2010, 03:26 PM
If Apple goes ULV, it will be the end of the MBA as we know it/LOVE IT. A ULV CPU declares that the MBA will be extremely miniaturized... thinner, smaller, weigh less and definitely only include the integrated Intel IGP. This is NOT the MBA we all want. It's a low powered, incapable machine which will be inferior to MOST PC ultraportables. ULV = DEAD!

I don't believe Apple will go with i3 or i5 CPUs in the MBA. The only CPU that makes sense as the MBA being a "primary capable" Mac is the Core i7 CPU. It's 25W TDP including the IGP. That is the Low Voltage model replacing the SL9x00 17W CPUs that Apple currently uses in the MBA. I still believe the MBA could even have a Core 2 Duo Penryn SL9x00 CPU just as the last update.

IF Apple waits for the MBA update, it's definitely getting the overhaul that means the role of the MBA is changing. That's not what we want. It will be okay for those wanting to use the MBA as a secondary Mac, but that only makes sense if there's no tablet. The tablet should be Apple's solution for secondary Mac computing that's ultraportable.

I say five days and counting... I will wait before I declare the MBA dead to me. I have a little more HOPE than that... NOT faith, HOPE!

coast1ja
Jan 22, 2010, 03:27 PM
Actually, the story doesn't really confirm an update of the Air. They're saying if there was an update of the Air planned it would definitely be delayed because of the chip delay. The chip could just be delayed on its own with no correlation to an Air update.

true, but the article cited the possibility of apple buying a small number at a premium price... why would this be considered if there was not an impending update???

coast1ja
Jan 22, 2010, 03:31 PM
If Apple goes ULV, it will be the end of the MBA as we know it/LOVE IT. A ULV CPU declares that the MBA will be extremely miniaturized... thinner, smaller, weigh less and definitely only include the integrated Intel IGP. This is NOT the MBA we all want. It's a low powered, incapable machine which will be inferior to MOST PC ultraportables. ULV = DEAD!

I don't believe Apple will go with i3 or i5 CPUs in the MBA. The only CPU that makes sense as the MBA being a "primary capable" Mac is the Core i7 CPU. It's 25W TDP including the IGP. That is the Low Voltage model replacing the SL9x00 17W CPUs that Apple currently uses in the MBA. I still believe the MBA could even have a Core 2 Duo Penryn SL9x00 CPU just as the last update.

IF Apple waits for the MBA update, it's definitely getting the overhaul that means the role of the MBA is changing. That's not what we want. It will be okay for those wanting to use the MBA as a secondary Mac, but that only makes sense if there's no tablet. The tablet should be Apple's solution for secondary Mac computing that's ultraportable.

I say five days and counting... I will wait before I declare the MBA dead to me. I have a little more HOPE than that... NOT faith, HOPE!

I completely agree. Apple should market the tablet to the netbook crowd and further differentiate the MBA from a netbook. Netbook owners don't care about power, which is a completely different demographic than the current Air is targeted toward. If they do use a ULV chip... they should rename it, because it won't be a MacBook anymore... maybe it'll be the iAir.

Scottsdale
Jan 22, 2010, 03:39 PM
The event on the 27th is going to be about iPhone OS 4, lots of software talk (gaming and maybe iLife '10) and the Tablet. Not 'boring stuff' like computers. I expect them to be silently refreshed the day before the event.

I would say that could happen. But if the MBA is getting a ULV, it's going to be a completely different computer and form factor, and Apple is going to show it off at the media event. It would make no sense for Apple to "dumb down" the MBA in its current form factor. We currently have a CPU capable of working as a primary computer for us. A ULV Core i3/i5 is boring JUNK and a terrible downgrade of the MBA's computing capabilities.

I still have hope. I would definitely prefer a "BORING" update to the MBA a day before the media event with nothing more than a 4 GB RAM update, new graphics solution, and SSD bump OVER a ULV MBA that's transformed into nothing more than a low-end incapable ultraportable. I will be going with Sony, Lenovo, Asus, HP or even Dell before taking such a terrible turn for the worse in the MBA!

Scottsdale
Jan 22, 2010, 03:51 PM
I completely agree. Apple should market the tablet to the netbook crowd and further differentiate the MBA from a netbook. Netbook owners don't care about power, which is a completely different demographic than the current Air is targeted toward. If they do use a ULV chip... they should rename it, because it won't be a MacBook anymore... maybe it'll be the iAir.

Apple could have learned that the MBA sells better as a secondary Mac or netbook replacement. In that scenario, a ULV CPU and "dumbed down" MBA makes sense... IF THERE WERE NO TABLET. If there's a real tablet, it makes no sense in the world to make the MBA a competitor to the tablet. Either Apple isn't thinking straight, or this story doesn't make sense. Apple is smarter than this, so I have to HOPE the story is just BOGUS.

I still think that the MBA will either get an extensive update that includes A CORE i7 25w LV CPU (NOT ULV), or it will stay the same for factor. If the form factor is retained it will get either a Core i7 CPU with an ATI graphics solution or the exact same SL 9x00 LV CPUs at 17W plus an Nvidia 12W GPU/chipset.

It just makes no sense to dumb down the MBA into a secondary computer that's like you say an "iAir" instead of a "MacBook" Air UNLESS the whole tablet is a bogus invention meant to boost the stock price of AAPL. If that's the case, I better dump my AAPL stock NOW!

glitch44
Jan 22, 2010, 04:18 PM
true, but the article cited the possibility of apple buying a small number at a premium price... why would this be considered if there was not an impending update???

The quoted blog has no information about it being considered by Apple. They just said it's a possibility. I could create a blog and say it's a possibility they've killed off the MBA completely, both are just speculation.

I think many here are thinking about what's good for the Air. Apple thinks in terms of what's good for Apple.

Do think they would introduce a brand new updated lightweight laptop the same week they introduce their brand new tablet? And then risk having to answer the question "Why would I buy a tablet instead of this shiny new perfect Macbook Air?". Yes, different uses and different target audience, but Apple is like a laser with product announcements. Even if there was an Air update ready, I could see them delaying or killing it to not endanger their tablet sales, which an analyst projected at 5 million sold / $3 billion in the first year of release.

Obviously I want to be wrong, but everything at this point points to iPhone OS update and tablets next week.

nj-mac-user
Jan 22, 2010, 08:59 PM
Even though I doubt it, Apple could introduce a MBA update the same day or right before the tablet for the simple fact the tablet won't be available for sale for another 5 months anyway. I don't think a MBA update would kill sales for the tablet as they are geared toward completely different audiences.

Scottsdale
Jan 22, 2010, 09:27 PM
Even though I doubt it, Apple could introduce a MBA update the same day or right before the tablet for the simple fact the tablet won't be available for sale for another 5 months anyway. I don't think a MBA update would kill sales for the tablet as they are geared toward completely different audiences.

That is if the MBA remains a primary Mac capable computer. That's why I don't believe Apple would go ULV. It would make the two compete... sure the tablet might be five months off, but it still doesn't make sense. Apple surely knows its market as well as we do here at the forums. It still isn't going to do what we want. Apple will do what is best for ALL sales of Apple products and for all stakeholders involved. If the MBA wasn't a money maker at $1499 and $1799, the price wouldn't be there. The component makeup isn't much higher than the MB even. The MBA has to be a money maker. It may not be a cash cow, but its success is definitely in Apple's best interest as the design will probably be the future of all Mac notebooks.

Right now the MBA is primarily selling as a MacBook that is light as "air." We are paying for MacBook like computing power with an ultraportable weight/thinness. We still get a full 13" display and a full keyboard. This is a premium or luxury product for certain. The tablet will be low end primarily as a non-computing device that overlaps in a few functions. We aren't going to get our work done on a tablet, that will be on the MBA.

The price drops of the original dumping of the MBA has brought in the secondary Mac buyers market, but that's really not the intended market. It's still an $800 add to get the premium MBA over a MacBook. That's the thing, the MBA really isn't competition to the tablet as far as the markets go.

In reality, the MBA will lose some sales to the tablet, because the MBA is being purchased for those wishing to use it as a secondary Mac. But I think the majority of those who wish to use as a secondary Mac are buying it refurbished, and older models on secondary markets. There are still some that are paying more for the MBA than they are for a tablet, and Apple will still prefer people buy the MBA at double the price. A lot of people don't get or want tablets, and the MBA still sells as a secondary device to those just as it did before the tablet.

I still believe we are going to get an update, and I still believe that it will focus on an ultraportable MBA, with a full sized keyboard, a full 13" display, and a competitive LV CPU. I cannot understand any other MBA... it just doesn't make sense. The "experience" is what Apple is selling, so it cannot short change us too much with the performance... it should be at least similar in CPU clock speed and graphics power as the MacBook.

Let's wait it out another four days and fifteen hours... and counting - DOWN.

samtim
Jan 24, 2010, 05:32 AM
I don't understand why people keep comparing Air to Pro. Air has ultra portability and classy style. I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro, top of the line at the time, but now I'm using my Air 99.5% of time, both at work and at home. 4GB of RAM doesn't make my Pro more enjoyable to me. In a normal day of use I would open Mail, Calendar, The Hit List, Word, Powerpoint, Endnote, Papers, and Safari (couple of tabs) all together and not having problem with it (at least 500 MB of RAM left unused, inactive and free combined). And the Runcore SSD makes Air WAY FASTER than my Pro.

Determine needs and make up the mind!

Well said.
Almost the same situation (except Runcore).
Despite its certain design issues (small heat wise flaws - fixed with CoolBook, sleep battery drain - sometimes fixed by shutting down instead of closing the lid) Air is superior in terms of feel and touch than rest of mac notebook line.

Scottsdale got to the point: basically Apple sells certain type of 'experience'. How fast its gonna be – well here goes marketing:)
I don’t believe Apple would do anything radical with either of its current products. Historically they stick with each product, as long as they don’t invent something really different.
This approach is good and bad at the same time.
I recall S.Jobs saying years ago with some regret that “Apple was about making whole banana”. So they should constantly invent or reinvent to make stakeholders happy, while others simply go with the flow and brag.

Air is my fav typewriter what I can say more.

knucles
Jan 24, 2010, 06:30 AM
Do you expect a major battery improvement? it's kind of strange to the macbook air, the most portable apple laptop to be the one with the smaller battery don't you think?

Anyway, is macbook air going to beat the 7 hour barrier any time soon?

zedsdead
Jan 24, 2010, 07:48 AM
Do you expect a major battery improvement? it's kind of strange to the macbook air, the most portable apple laptop to be the one with the smaller battery don't you think?

Anyway, is macbook air going to beat the 7 hour barrier any time soon?

The Macbook Air uses a similar batter to the one found in the larger models. It is less time simply because there is no room for a bigger battery. Do not expect anything huge regarding battery life.

norsemen
Jan 24, 2010, 08:34 AM
The Macbook Air uses a similar batter to the one found in the larger models. It is less time simply because there is no room for a bigger battery. Do not expect anything huge regarding battery life.

While you are correct that there´s no room for a bigger battery, I do believe that the MBA don´t use the same battery-techology as the rest of the MacBook family. So there are room for improvement, how much remains to be seen

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/battery/

Scottsdale
Jan 24, 2010, 10:18 AM
While you are correct that there´s no room for a bigger battery, I do believe that the MBA don´t use the same battery-techology as the rest of the MacBook family. So there are room for improvement, how much remains to be seen

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/battery/

I have been confused with the battery specs myself. When the MBPs got the 7+ hour battery, the MBA's battery stayed the same, apparently. However, with the last release, someone stated the battery now was rated for 750 cycles instead of 300 in the MBA. I don't know if that information is accurate or not. On Apple.com, it clearly states 1000 charges for the MBP, but I have found nothing that states that information about the MBA's battery.

Remember with the last minor MBA CPU bump, although still retaining v 2,1, the battery was very slightly bumped. I believe that was more of a bump to ensure EPEAT Gold and Energy Star 5 standards. I don't think that means the battery technology was changed to the same as used in the MBPs, because Apple isn't stating 1000 cycles on the MBA... it isn't stating anything about the cycles which seems like Apple is trying to hide the fact that it's not as nice as the MBP's battery.

I don't know that changing the technology in the battery would add that much more in terms of capabilities. I don't know how much weight could be added if they did that. What trade off is worth it when trying to stay near 3 lbs? What could help the MBA, but I wouldn't want to see, is Arrandale Core i7 CPU with IGP. That's a 25W TDP system whereas the MBA is currently using 29W (17W SL9x00 CPUs, 12W 9400m). That could add some 16% to the time between charges by reducing the power/performance of the CPU and graphics. That's a worthless direction to go from my point of view. I want the power of a LV CPU at a higher clock speed over a lower clock speed ULV CPU to save some battery drain (especially when Intel's IGP is included).

I actually would enjoy an extra hour or two from the MBA on rare occasions, but I don't want to lose power/performance or make it heavier to do that. Bottom line is I can live with the MBA's battery performance right where it is. What I would really prefer is Apple improving the battery with its new technology so the MBA could get the same battery life, or slightly greater, even with a dedicated ATI graphics card. I just don't need more than three hours of charge the vast majority of the time I use my MBA away from its charger.

What does everyone else think? Would you accept a .5 lb add to the weight of the MBA to get an extra two or three hours of battery power between charges? Would you want to go ULV CPU and stick with Intel's IGP at a massive clock speed loss and graphics performance loss just to get a true six hours from your MBA at 3 lbs? This is an interesting topic, because I believe this is one Apple really is focused on... increasing battery life and improving performance between charges... yet most importantly, perhaps, having a really lightweight MBA. At 3 lbs, I am totally happy.

I still believe the MBA's thickness is thin enough. When considering possible changes to weight or thickness, I would much prefer weight savings over reducing the thickness. Meaning, I wouldn't want it to go to .5" thickness and stay at 3 lbs versus staying at .86" to .16" thickness and losing .5 lbs. I believe the form factor is really perfect minus the dead space around the display and keyboards. It could use a much smaller footprint and still give us the same full-sized keyboard and 13" display. Make it 2.5 lbs, reduce the length and width by an inch each, we have the perfect MBA!

coast1ja
Jan 24, 2010, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=Scottsdale;9129019]In reality, the MBA will lose some sales to the tablet, because the MBA is being purchased for those wishing to use it as a secondary Mac. But I think the majority of those who wish to use as a secondary Mac are buying it refurbished, and older models on secondary markets. There are still some that are paying more for the MBA than they are for a tablet, and Apple will still prefer people buy the MBA at double the price. A lot of people don't get or want tablets, and the MBA still sells as a secondary device to those just as it did before the tablet.
QUOTE]

Exactly... People who spend this much on a computer... any computer, are most likely using as their primary machine. It just doesn't make sense for someone to buy an $1800 secondary computer. If they are in the market for a secondary Mac and are looking to the Air, then they are probably going to find the cheapest one through secondary channels... which Apple doesn't care about because they do not make any money from those sales.

I still believe that it makes the most sense to further differentiate the Air from netbooks. Most lay people (and some website contributors) consider the current Air to be nothing more than an overpriced netbook.

Look at what Dell did with the Adamo... not the Adamo XPS. They first offered it in 1.2ghz and 1.4ghz configurations. People complained that they were spending a huge amount of money on an underpowered machine... so what did they do a couple months later?... release the 2.1ghz model to replace the originals... and at the same exact price. If Dell can release a faster ultraportable with the same price as the slower original, Apple should be able to (read: make money) offer us a MBA with a core i3, dedicated GPU, and 4gb of ram for the same price (or within a couple hundred) as the current Air.

I do realize that the Rev. A MBA was quite a bit more expensive at launch than the Rev. B and C were, and this model might make sense again if Apple changes the form factor. Offer the new form factor at an inflated price to profit off of the early-adopters, then lower it (while still mainataining profitability) a few months later when sales start to fall.

Of course this is all speculation, so feel free to voice your thoughts.

coast1ja
Jan 24, 2010, 10:41 AM
Does the MBA have a Lithium Polymer battery like the rest of the line?... or does it still have the old Lithium Ion? I know they bumped it from 70 to 73wh, but maybe switching to the Li-Po could give more power with the same size and weight.

I for one would not give up the power for extra battery life. I do like how the MBPs with the two GPUs let you choose if you want to use integrated or dedicated. Perhaps an i3 or i5 with dedicated could do the same.

Maybe offer a battery slice like the HP Envy... I know it would just be extra weight to carry around, but for those that need the battery life, it would provide a good option.

Ca$hflow
Jan 24, 2010, 11:16 AM
possible speed bump. 4gb ram for sure and larger hard drive.

stoconnell
Jan 24, 2010, 02:17 PM
What does everyone else think? Would you accept a .5 lb add to the weight of the MBA to get an extra two or three hours of battery power between charges? Would you want to go ULV CPU and stick with Intel's IGP at a massive clock speed loss and graphics performance loss just to get a true six hours from your MBA at 3 lbs? This is an interesting topic, because I believe this is one Apple really is focused on... increasing battery life and improving performance between charges... yet most importantly, perhaps, having a really lightweight MBA. At 3 lbs, I am totally happy.

I still believe the MBA's thickness is thin enough. When considering possible changes to weight or thickness, I would much prefer weight savings over reducing the thickness. Meaning, I wouldn't want it to go to .5" thickness and stay at 3 lbs versus staying at .86" to .16" thickness and losing .5 lbs. I believe the form factor is really perfect minus the dead space around the display and keyboards. It could use a much smaller footprint and still give us the same full-sized keyboard and 13" display. Make it 2.5 lbs, reduce the length and width by an inch each, we have the perfect MBA!

I wouldn't object to an extra 0.5 lb of weight and possibly a reduced taper all around a bit more thickness if it:

0) allowed for them to redesign the vent location and enhance airflow/increase thermal mass of the heat sink. or use 2 lower speed fans to move the air w/ less noise
1) allowed for more room for battery
2) allowed for a dedicated ethernet port or a second USB port
3) possibly could be used to allow for memory in DIMM form and possbily a 2.5" drive

OR as you suggest trim the excess off the sides and square up the sides much like the 13" MBP, which would allow for better ventilation options and possibly more ports.

I'd also love to see the resolution bumped to 1440x900.

Anonymous Freak
Jan 24, 2010, 03:48 PM
Uh... All you who are asking for more out of the Air, why don't you just buy the 13" Pro, then?

Adding half a pound to the Air brings you to only 1 lb short of the 13" Pro. Remember when the Air launched, and it only had Intel GMA graphics? It wasn't meant to be a Pro! It was meant to be a non-Pro, stripped of everything they could strip it of, and made as light as possible.

Personally, I have no problem with the Air having Intel graphics. The current Intel graphics are way better than the GMA 950 that was in the original Air; they can do on-GPU video decoding, including H.264. Yeah, they won't do any heavy gaming, or even major things like GPU encoding, but that's not the point of the Air! If they bulk up the Air, all you have is a slightly cut down 13" MBP. Which doesn't make much sense. The Air is clearly delineated from both the MB and the Pro. If Apple is going to keep the Air, then it has to STAY delineated.

Even if it means the Air has an ULV processor, and Intel graphics. The chips I mentioned in my guesstimate are still faster than the CPU in the Air now, for 99% of tasks. Yes, GPU power would drop, but, again, not for what the Air is meant for. I think Apple's decision *NOT* to use an ULV processor in the Air from the start was a problem. They claimed to make a 'no compromises' ultra-light, but now they've gotten people used to getting a lighter MBP, when that obviously wasn't the design intent. They made a 'fewer compromises than everyone else' ultra-light, but convinced everyone it was a 'no-compromises'. So then people complained about the compromises that were made.

If a ULV+Intel graphics Air isn't what you want, then don't buy it. There is a market for it, though. (Especially if they cut the size down even more, so that it is only as wide as the keyboard requires it to be .)

coast1ja
Jan 24, 2010, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=ehurtley;9135454]Uh... All you who are asking for more out of the Air, why don't you just buy the 13" Pro, then? [QUOTE]

Have you ever used both? I can say from experience that the extra 1.5lbs in your bag is more than noticeable. Is it too much to ask that an $1800 notebook be suitable for everyday use?

vraxtus
Jan 24, 2010, 09:32 PM
I'd return it and wait a little over a month.

Anonymous Freak
Jan 25, 2010, 02:09 AM
Have you ever used both? I can say from experience that the extra 1.5lbs in your bag is more than noticeable. Is it too much to ask that an $1800 notebook be suitable for everyday use?

That weighs under 4 pounds? Yes. That is too much to ask. Just ask every single manufacturer out there that makes sub-4 lb. notebooks. The closest Apple has gotten to this was the 12" PowerBook G4, which weighed in at 4.6 lbs.

Scottsdale
Jan 25, 2010, 02:52 AM
stoconnell - It seems that you want an MBP that weighs a pound less rather than an MBA that weighs a half pound more. I don't want most of your requests. I am happy with the ports, but I do want a bump to USB 3.0 in my one USB port. I don't want Ethernet at all; the USB dongle works fine if needed. I don't want the edges changed to the MBPs. I definitely don't want ulgy ports out in the open without a flip tray; that would be an ugly MBA just as the MBP has with its ports. I would gladly take two RAM slots or even FOUR! I definitely don't want a 2.5" drive because it would require the MBA to be thicker. I don't want any changes to vents, as I like them exactly where they are. If the vents were on the back, instead of the bottom, the MBA would be ugly.

ehurtley - Well, don't forget that OS X is NOT Windows. Just because Windows could manage with the Core i3/5 and ONLY Intel's IGP does not mean OS X could provide us with the same performance with those identical components. I believe you're making a mistake by failing to consider the actual impact to the user. The real loss may not be understood initially, because people will expect the same performance across platforms.

Just think about the original MBA, and how Intel's 3100 and its Merom CPU couldn't do "normal" computing tasks without serious problems obvious to the end user. While the hardware was the true source of the problem, the problem was magnified greatly by software that wasn't as efficient/effective as was available on PCs via Windows. Therefore, we need to strongly consider both the strengths and weaknesses of both platforms before assuming what is true on one platform will also be true on the second platform.

If Apple releases an MBA that only has Intel's IGP, I will not fall for the same "trap" I did with the original MBA. It will take a lot of convincing and testing for me to believe an MBA, with only an Intel IGP, can perform "normally" as any Mac user would expect.

The past MBA problems, and the damage to the brand's reputation, actually gives me some comfort in thinking Apple has learned its lessons from Intel also. I hope it means no Intel IGP in the next MBA... or if there's an Intel IGP that it be a switchable graphics selection where I can utilize a real graphics card to actually use my computer. And the Intel IGP could be there for times when I don't require anything more than a word processor sitting on a cool desk (nope, not even then). Please Apple... no more Intel graphics!

Gruber
Jan 25, 2010, 06:18 AM
That weighs under 4 pounds? Yes. That is too much to ask. Just ask every single manufacturer out there that makes sub-4 lb. notebooks. The closest Apple has gotten to this was the 12" PowerBook G4, which weighed in at 4.6 lbs.

Sony has been manufacturing decently specced subnotebooks for quite a while now. The current Vaio Z sports Core i7 and discrete GPU at pretty much the same weight and price point as the Air (even though Sony also includes an optical drive). The Vaio TT is even small and lighter (and thus a real subnotebook), but Apple is currently in no position to support smaller screens.

Smaller screens require higher resolutions. Higher resolutions require a scalable UI. OSX does not allow scaling of its widgets in its basic app suite (if you change the DPI settings, you will notice that there is almost no Apple application that will play ball). Mail, iTunes and the Finder are not resolution independent.

Apple has declared resolution independence to be a goal for several years now, but failed to deliver. I am sure that they can eventually achieve it, but not this year. Thus, the Apple tablet will run on an extended iPhone OS instead of MacOS, and we won't see an 10" or 11" OSX notebook anytime soon.

stoconnell
Jan 25, 2010, 07:36 AM
stoconnell - It seems that you want an MBP that weighs a pound less rather than an MBA that weighs a half pound more. I don't want most of your requests. I am happy with the ports, but I do want a bump to USB 3.0 in my one USB port. I don't want Ethernet at all; the USB dongle works fine if needed. I don't want the edges changed to the MBPs. I definitely don't want ulgy ports out in the open without a flip tray; that would be an ugly MBA just as the MBP has with its ports. I would gladly take two RAM slots or even FOUR! I definitely don't want a 2.5" drive because it would require the MBA to be thicker. I don't want any changes to vents, as I like them exactly where they are. If the vents were on the back, instead of the bottom, the MBA would be ugly.

I realize there is a competing aesthetic issue going on -- I do love the look of the Air as it is. My desire for more ports is actually driven by ethernet more than anything else as I need it and would like to be able to have a free USB slot for the very occasional times when I need both ethernet and USB (and don't have access to a hub). I do find the ventilation part of the equation to be the most frustrating aspect just because of the way I use a laptop forces me to be to be more careful than I'd prefer to be about not covering the vent :cool: I could imagine with Apple adding a few mm to the overall thickness they could get a little more out of the battery/thermal envelope.

Having voiced all of these concerns, etc. I still enjoy using my Air and while I like the feature set of the 13" MBP, I think that I would hate lugging around the extra heft (even though I don't really have much of a commute these days). No product is perfect for all people and even with its "quirks" I would still probably take the MBA over the 13" MBP, which was not a choice when I bought my MBA (unless you count the 13" Alu MB). Either way, it will be interesting to see what they do with their portable line up in the face of the new Intel chips/chipsets and the NVIDIA licensing issue.

jedivulcan
Jan 25, 2010, 07:50 AM
I'm guess that the Air will get an updated one button glass trackpad to be consistent with the newer unibody MacBook and MacBook Pro lines. Also, wouldn't put it past Apple to put a new chip, more RAM, and a better battery into the mix.

coast1ja
Jan 25, 2010, 11:16 AM
I'm guess that the Air will get an updated one button glass trackpad to be consistent with the newer unibody MacBook and MacBook Pro lines. Also, wouldn't put it past Apple to put a new chip, more RAM, and a better battery into the mix.

I think the opposite, the MBA will not get the glass trackpad due to space issues (it's too thick). It should get a new chip, more ram, and better battery. The only way it will get a new trackpad is if the form-factor changes. I'm debating as to whether or not it will get the glass screen cover like the current MBPs... it would probably come down to what is cheaper... an aluminum bezel, or a thin plate of glass.

As for the other concerns... it is not unreasonable to expect an $1800 ultraportable to perform well enough for everyday use. I'm not talking professional use, just normal every day use. As a previous poster stated, Sony has been doing just that for a while now. I would also like to add that the Dell Adamo Desire is $2300, and comes with 2.1ghz core2duo, 4gb ram, and 256gb SSD. I would bet that most fans of the MBA would be elated to purchase a MBA with these specs for that price. I would settle for a slower CPU and 128gb SSD for the $1800 price point. Also, look at what Acer has done with the Travelmate Timeline series... arguably similar specs to the MBA, at half the price. If Acer/Gateway can do it, there is no reason Apple can't offer an MBA with 2+ghz core2duo (LV, not ULV), 4gb of ram, and at least 128gb SSD for $1800. If Intel's integrated GPU is good enough for everyday use, that would be fine with me... but the jury is still out on that. I would like a dedicated GPU, but if Intel's integrated is good enough, it won't matter... at least to me.

halledise
Jan 25, 2010, 01:12 PM
I think the opposite, the MBA will not get the glass trackpad due to space issues (it's too thick). It should get a new chip, more ram, and better battery. The only way it will get a new trackpad is if the form-factor changes. I'm debating as to whether or not it will get the glass screen cover like the current MBPs... it would probably come down to what is cheaper... an aluminum bezel, or a thin plate of glass.

As for the other concerns... it is not unreasonable to expect an $1800 ultraportable to perform well enough for everyday use. I'm not talking professional use, just normal every day use. As a previous poster stated, Sony has been doing just that for a while now. I would also like to add that the Dell Adamo Desire is $2300, and comes with 2.1ghz core2duo, 4gb ram, and 256gb SSD. I would bet that most fans of the MBA would be elated to purchase a MBA with these specs for that price. I would settle for a slower CPU and 128gb SSD for the $1800 price point. Also, look at what Acer has done with the Travelmate Timeline series... arguably similar specs to the MBA, at half the price. If Acer/Gateway can do it, there is no reason Apple can't offer an MBA with 2+ghz core2duo (LV, not ULV), 4gb of ram, and at least 128gb SSD for $1800. If Intel's integrated GPU is good enough for everyday use, that would be fine with me... but the jury is still out on that. I would like a dedicated GPU, but if Intel's integrated is good enough, it won't matter... at least to me.

totally agree with all of the above; the only problem people fail to realise with all these alternative lighter faster Dell Sony and Acers is that they all run el-crappo Windows.
Give me the elegance of a Mac OS any day.
The current form factor of the MBA is a bout as sweet as it gets and the specs will be enhanced as time goes by; but don't expect the performance of a MBPro in an Air.
maybe extra memory, possibly a faster less power hungry processor and slightly more capacity in the HDD area.
however if one is using the Air for its intended purpose, then 128gb is more than sufficient

JMKeynes
Jan 25, 2010, 01:19 PM
With all due respect, I don't understand why there is any question. I can hardly imagine a set of circumstances in which you would not wait. Here's the logic: there is a good chance the mobile computing space will change in a few days, and you lose almost nothing (two days!!) by waiting.

Apple is going to release its "latest creation" in just two days. If this is the much-rumored "tablet," then it is highly likely to affect the market for the MBA. Perhaps Apple will present something for $500 that you would much rather combine with a MB (as compared with just a MBA). (And with Apple, as we all know, they have a way for exposing itches we didn't know needed scratching!) But even if you are not interested in any sort of tablet, many potential MBA buyers would be. Apple, who likes to have clearly differentiated products appealing to distinct market segments, seems likely to do something with the MBA soon. Perhaps that means cutting prices, (more likely) raising the specs, or inadvertently signaling its march toward irrelevancy. Simply put, I think you want to know what Apple thinks is the future before you open that box.

And consider the cost: it is essentially zero! Waiting just two days is nothing in the scheme of a computer you'll own for years. I don't understand why you wouldn't wait--unless you expected to die or go irrevocably broke by Wednesday morning.

This logic, I think, stands independent of the prior questions about whether the MBA is the right computer for you given the current lineup. I assume you've done your homework and found the right choice. The point is that Apple's lineup is almost certainly going to change in two days. Don't you want to know what Apple thinks is the future before you put yourself into a market segment based on the space now, two days before the potential revolution?

Also, for what it is worth, I've had a 2nd Rev MBA for over a year; and I just love it! I probably use it more than I use my MBP. It runs like my MBP but is as portable as a netbook. I don't understand why more people haven't bought one of these! It's been just great.

coast1ja
Jan 25, 2010, 01:57 PM
totally agree with all of the above; the only problem people fail to realise with all these alternative lighter faster Dell Sony and Acers is that they all run el-crappo Windows.
Give me the elegance of a Mac OS any day.
The current form factor of the MBA is a bout as sweet as it gets and the specs will be enhanced as time goes by; but don't expect the performance of a MBPro in an Air.
maybe extra memory, possibly a faster less power hungry processor and slightly more capacity in the HDD area.
however if one is using the Air for its intended purpose, then 128gb is more than sufficient

I hold Windows 7 in the same regards as OSX SL. It is just as intuitive and easy to use, with fewer problems than I have experienced with SL. If you haven't tried Windows 7 yet, you should.

I think the fact that those ultra portables have Windows 7 makes them an even better deal! Look at the retail prices of OSX compared to Windows 7.

jns2001
Jan 25, 2010, 08:26 PM
Here's my story:

Windows User since its inception, working with DEC, HP Unix machines at work. Never touched a Mac before.

In 2007 I bought two machines, a Lenovo T60p as a main machine and a Macbook Air as a pet project. Pet project was a 1.6 GHz, 80 HDD, integrated graphics.

Pet project became main computer, in 2009 the hinges gave up and I sent it for repair, took a while and I did not want to use my windows computer to watch movies in bed, so I went ahead and bought another MacBook Air, the latest and greatest, faster than the first one, but nothing to write home about it. My wife at the time had a Dell XPS 1330, the mofo would burn you if you would try to keep in your lap. When the MacBook Air 1.6 came back from repair it was a no brainer, and I sold the the Dell, and I kept one old Macbook Air for my wife and the new one :p to myself. But I still had the Thinkpad T60p as my main machine in my office. Today I went ahead and I bought a DVI adapter, an extra charger (hate to be moving those f**kers around) a Magic Mouse and a keyboard and I made an experiment with my Samsung 22 inches with DVI.

I am willing to sell the Thinkpad, docking station, but I would like to keep my setup as a Workstation, Samsung 22", Bose with subwoofer, and the only thing that I haven't fixed yet is the cam. Mine is a MS Cinema, that can stream in 720p, and works with Skype, MSN, Yahoo, and any other major messenger available, I haven't found a driver for Snow Leopard for that cam...(doohhh, it's MS). Other than that, I have found my perfect replacement of a desktop on a Macbook Air....Freaking unbelievable coming from a Windows guy.

I have convinced my bro to buy a Macbook and last Saturday he bought a Macbook Pro 13", and I went to try it on Sunday. The glass pad was not that great, the glass replacing the bezel was freaking awesome, wish my MBA had it, instead of aluminum, DDR3 are pretty fast, but his bottleneck was the disk. The biggest drawback to me was its weight. It was a fu***ng brick to play around.

To summarize my experience, I don't want any Windows Machine, 7, or XP, I do not want a Macbook Pro, I want a MBA with a decent camera and I am all set. And Apple, if you cannot match Bose in the Sound System, don't bother to come up with some ****** can speakers on your Apple Cinema, I love a good music. Andrea Bocelli and a glass of wine (I am enjoying both right now), are paramount to a great evening.

Questions, should I buy an Apple Cinema 24? Is there any way to disable the sound and keep my bose 2.1 ( forget how it is called), or should I wait?

Let me know.

Scottsdale
Jan 25, 2010, 11:17 PM
I hold Windows 7 in the same regards as OSX SL. It is just as intuitive and easy to use, with fewer problems than I have experienced with SL. If you haven't tried Windows 7 yet, you should.

I think the fact that those ultra portables have Windows 7 makes them an even better deal! Look at the retail prices of OSX compared to Windows 7.

Very true. Most people that are Mac fans haven't seen Windows for a few versions. Vista was problematic at the beginning for sure, but Windows 7 has been a dream, and then some. It's really really good stuff. The company has definitely learned to improve the user interface and the system stability.

I think most people should understand that Windows supports infinitely more hardware and software. That is where some problems occur. If you buy junk hardware, that has poorly written drivers, it's not going to be the same as quality hardware with well written software. Sony, HP, and others are putting together really nice systems with hardware much better than Apple uses in Macs, for less than half the price.

Now for some, the apps like iLife are making a difference where they don't want to go back to Windows. I can agree with that. The only thing I miss, when I am in Windows 7 with my MBA, is iLife. So for those talking about how bad Windows is, they really need to try Windows 7 with decent hardware. It's a dream. No, one cannot buy a $300 notebook with Windows 7 that is comparable to an MB or MBA. But if you're willing to spend $500 to $800, you can get a hell of a PC notebook.

coast1ja
Jan 26, 2010, 09:20 AM
To summarize my experience, I don't want any Windows Machine, 7, or XP, I do not want a Macbook Pro, I want a MBA with a decent camera and I am all set.

Let me know.

good story, I try to convince people on these forums all the time that there is a HUGE difference between the MBA and the 13" MBP... very few believe me because they have not handled both.

I think the major difference is that you can pick up the MBA with one hand... I was trying to think about why I hate the MBPs form factor so much compared to the Air, and I think that's it. It's so inconvenient to use two hands to lift and move a laptop, I know it sounds trivial, but it really is a huge difference when you think about it. I can lift the 13" MBP with one hand, but not without straining my wrist. Sure, you notice the extra 1.5lbs in your bag, but that difference doesn't matter as much as when you are actually using it.

If I had to identify a second huge difference, it's the typing position and wrist comfort. The Air is very thin at the front edge, making it very comfortable to type on... I have written around 50 pages within the last two weeks on my MBA, with no ill consequences. The MBP seems to cut into my wrists and cock them at an odd angle.

Everyone loves something different about the MBA, which is why those with MBPs don't understand it.

gri
Jan 26, 2010, 01:05 PM
I love a good music. Andrea Bocelli and a glass of wine (I am enjoying both right now), are paramount to a great evening.

Let me know.

Bocelli and good music in one sentence? Granted, he has a nice voice - but he ain't no Domingo, Wunderlich, Melchior etc. :D

How are the speakers on the air is my real question...? And I wish for 4 MB RAM and 160 G SSD maybe...?

Screen: I have a Dell 30' and extra speakers, very nice.

halledise
Jan 26, 2010, 01:31 PM

Snow Leopard is infinitely cheaper than Windows7 to buy.
yes I have used a machine running Windows7 and appreciate the work MS have done to lift their game.
however, it's still Windows with all of it's attendant anomalies and hair-pulling issues.
that said, if you think so highly of it then why not abandon the Mac OS and return to the Windows fold and go get yourself one of the fantastic PC's you refer to?
or bootcamp your HDD and run Win7 exclusively …
(don't think you will though!!) ;)

Scottsdale
Jan 26, 2010, 01:39 PM
yes I have used a machine running Windows7 and appreciate the work MS have done to lift their game.
however, it's still Windows with all of it's attendant anomalies and hair-pulling issues.
that said, if you think so highly of it then why not abandon the Mac OS and return to the Windows fold and go get yourself one of the fantastic PC's you refer to?

But Snow Leopard wasn't really an OS jump. It was all about removing PPC support files to reduce the size and adding some more 64-bit support. That's why it was only $29, it was really just a glorified service pack. Not only that, a lot of application support was lost with 10.6, not much was lost with Windows 7.

I do agree that Windows 7 is more expensive, but if you add in the hardware costs to own a Mac, OS X is incredibly more expensive. We can run Windows 7 on a $400 laptop and get good results. We can run Windows 7 on a $600 laptop and get really good results. Spend $1000 or more and get incredible results with Windows 7. Compare that to Mac options. MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro coming in between $1000 for good results up to $2500 for really good results.

In the end, we all get what we pay for... it's just most of us here we will pay a lot more to be "cool" and own a Mac.

coast1ja
Jan 26, 2010, 01:43 PM

I do use Windows a lot for work (data analysis programs that are not compatible with Mac). I prefer OSX for other things like creating fancy word documents and powerpoint presentations for clients (the Windows version of office doesn't have as cool of templates) or just browsing and surfing the MacRumors! If I didn't prefer doing these things on a Mac... and prefer the portability of the Air, I probably would use Windows full-time (again).