Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I recently downloaded/installed (trial version) Konfabulator 1.7.1. I was interested in this concept since it will be included (sort of) in OSX Tiger. I enjoyed using it and downloaded quite a few Widgets from the Konfabulator site. But it seems like it's hogging my processor, even when it is turned off. For the first time on this PB I am getting the rainbow beachballs and quite often....with everything I do.......especially when awaking it from sleep mode. I have repaired permissions, restarted, etc. but to no avail. I am using a 17" PB 1.33GHz 1GB RAM Mac. Is Konfabulator that much of a hog? Or is there something I need to do to better optimize it? Thanks for any help!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes, people seem to think Konfabulator is that much of a hog.

It's sort of like the old MS FoxBase in that regard, even if the widget is small it drags along quite a bit of the development environment overhead along with it.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I found the same thing happening to my 17" PB configured the same way. I eventually deleted Konfabulator and my system has not had a problem since. It was a good idea to check out Konfabulator as a preview as to what will come with Tiger. Hopefully Apple's widgets will run much better than Konfabulator's.

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
I've never gotten this problem.I keep all my widgets in the Konsposé level. That way they don't get in the way but all you have to do is push F8 and they appear. Right now 4 widgets combined are using 0.00% of my processor.

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
they don't use a lot of processor but they do use a lot of RAM. for me each widget uses about 120MB of virtual memory and about 20MB of real memory. i am using the weather widget, the radar widget, the calender widget, and the kalculator widget.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
iLikeMyiMac said:
I've never gotten this problem.I keep all my widgets in the Konsposé level. That way they don't get in the way but all you have to do is push F8 and they appear. Right now 4 widgets combined are using 0.00% of my processor.

I'll try the Konspose level and if I still get a party of beachballs I'll just delete Konfabulator as kasei recommended.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Konfabulator can be a big processor hog, but mostly it's a HUGE memory hog.
I ran Konfab for a while (but was never impressed enough to buy it) and found that there were just too many times where a proc-activity widget would tell me that Konfabulator itself was the current CPU hog.

As for Dashboard, it only takes up CPU power when you invoke it. In the Tiger Beta, you can actually see the time on the World Clock skip forward to the current time when you hit F12. ;)

Blue Moon

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Los Angeles
ShapeShifter

Has anyone had a similar problem with ShapeShifter? I'm considering purchasing this software but don't want it eating up my processor while running Digital Performer. I did feel abit of a lag while using the trial version but I imagine it can get worse over time.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I don't think ShapeShifter would have the same problems. It hacks system resources to change the appearance of the GUI, similar to the way the Iconfactory's CandyBar changes the system's default icons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.