PDA

View Full Version : What does a dead pixel look like?

CubaTBird
Aug 19, 2004, 03:04 PM
See title........ So what does one look like? i have an iBook g4 and would like to know if it has any. I have a magnification glass nearby and would like to know what to look for :confused:

vraxtus
Aug 19, 2004, 03:07 PM
See title........ So what does one look like? i have an iBook g4 and would like to know if it has any. I have a magnification glass nearby and would like to know what to look for :confused:

Usually blue. But the best way to tell is if, say, you are playing a game and colors are constantly rotating on your screen. If a pixel does not change colors as they rotate, it's most likely dead.

stoid
Aug 19, 2004, 03:07 PM
Pixels can be dead or stuck, based on transistor malfunctions. If it's dead, it'll be a little black dot. If it's stuck it would be a bright red, or blue, or green dot.

Try this. (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13506)

fowler.
Aug 19, 2004, 03:48 PM
Pixels can be dead or stuck, based on transistor malfunctions. If it's dead, it'll be a little black dot. If it's stuck it would be a bright red, or blue, or green dot.

Try this. (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13506)

In the case that it's stuck, is there anything you can do to help fix that? I've had a stuck pixel on my 20" display since I got it over a year ago.. and it's really annoying.

I've heard of massaging it.. laying it on it's face for a couple hours. Obviously none of that worked..

janey
Aug 19, 2004, 04:44 PM
I've heard of massaging it.. laying it on it's face for a couple hours. Obviously none of that worked..
no massaging involves you rubbing the dead/stuck pixel with somethinglike a pencil eraser..

get one of those programs that will turn your entire display black/white/green/blue/red so you can check.
and you can usually see it with your eye, no need for a magnifying glass.

fowler.
Aug 19, 2004, 04:48 PM
no massaging involves you rubbing the dead/stuck pixel with somethinglike a pencil eraser..

Yeah yeah, that's what I meant.

Does that work? I tried my finger... which in hindsight seems a little lame.

iLikeMyiMac
Aug 19, 2004, 04:52 PM
I took a screen shot of a dead pixel.

janey
Aug 19, 2004, 05:00 PM
Yeah yeah, that's what I meant.

Does that work? I tried my finger... which in hindsight seems a little lame.
hehe oops.
well it works sometimes on stuck pixels
usually not on dead ones.