PDA

View Full Version : Audiophile sound quality from an iMac?

Nostromo
Jan 22, 2010, 12:33 AM
I'm looking for some key information on what you have to do to get the best sound quality when listening from music stored in iTunes.

All my music is in the Apple lossless format.

I have learned so far that computer speakers are not good enough for me.

And that monitors are too neutral in sound (I don't do any recording).

I just want to get the best possible sound out of my iMac at moderate cost (100 to 350 dollar range).

I posted a thread about computer speakers, and was recommended to ask this in the audio section, as it is here where the people with the good ears roam ;)

thegoldenmackid
Jan 22, 2010, 12:37 AM
Quite frankly I don't know why you started another thread...

Audiophile is just a word that has no real meaning.

The best quality sound at that price will inevitably come from headphones, but if you are looking for speakers it seems that you are going to want an amp and some bookshelves given what you have stated.

I don't really have much to offer, as I don't know much about bookshelves, but I would test some other options. Just because one computer speaker sounds like crap doesn't mean they are all awful and so on. Sound is subjective, if you like it that's what counts it doesn't matter what it's called that is making the noise.

macuserx86
Jan 22, 2010, 12:54 AM
You need to use this: The Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable (http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Link-Cable/dp/B000I1X6PM)
run this over to your unobtanium-plated digital to vacuum tube conversion CQU box, then run a series of Monster cables over to your AIUP7 audio link inhibitor. Plug in a nice set of $9.3 trillion speakers with lamb skin drivers and you're good to go.

Nostromo
Jan 22, 2010, 02:38 AM
You need to use this: The Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable (http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Link-Cable/dp/B000I1X6PM)
run this over to your unobtanium-plated digital to vacuum tube conversion CQU box, then run a series of Monster cables over to your AIUP7 audio link inhibitor. Plug in a nice set of $9.3 trillion speakers with lamb skin drivers and you're good to go.

I hope you are well. Keep swinging.

PS: I have a good time reading the Amazon reviews about your cable.

PS2: Why didn't you recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J36XR2/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

You are so cheap!

macuserx86
Jan 22, 2010, 02:42 AM
I hope you are well. Keep swinging.

PS: I loved reading the reviews on Amazon about your cable.

I wrote one of them :cool:

Muncher
Jan 22, 2010, 07:04 PM
I'm looking for some key information on what you have to do to get the best sound quality when listening from music stored in iTunes.

All my music is in the Apple lossless format.

I have learned so far that computer speakers are not good enough for me.

And that monitors are too neutral in sound (I don't do any recording).

I just want to get the best possible sound out of my iMac at moderate cost (100 to 350 dollar range).

I posted a thread about computer speakers, and was recommended to ask this in the audio section, as it is here where the people with the good ears roam ;)

Quite frankly I don't know why you started another thread...

Audiophile is just a word that has no real meaning.

+1. If you like music/sound, you're an audiophile.

The best quality sound at that price will inevitably come from headphones, but if you are looking for speakers it seems that you are going to want an amp and some bookshelves given what you have stated.

I don't really have much to offer, as I don't know much about bookshelves, but I would test some other options. Just because one computer speaker sounds like crap doesn't mean they are all awful and so on. Sound is subjective, if you like it that's what counts it doesn't matter what it's called that is making the noise.

There might be some good computer speakers around, I dunno. I'd go with headphones myself. You said you don't like neutral sound, but maybe a pair of Grados + an amp would be up your alley?

As for the iMac sound card, maybe it's just my iMac, but it sucks. All sorts of crazy distortion. You're gonna have to get a DAC/amp for decent sound, but then if you got any serious headphone you'd be getting an amp anyway.

Nostromo
Jan 22, 2010, 08:26 PM
+1. If you like music/sound, you're an audiophile.

There might be some good computer speakers around, I dunno. I'd go with headphones myself. You said you don't like neutral sound, but maybe a pair of Grados + an amp would be up your alley?

As for the iMac sound card, maybe it's just my iMac, but it sucks. All sorts of crazy distortion. You're gonna have to get a DAC/amp for decent sound, but then if you got any serious headphone you'd be getting an amp anyway.

So that DAC/amp goes around the iMac sound card? I mean, the sound card is not used when a DAC/amp is plugged into a USB port?

thegoldenmackid
Jan 22, 2010, 09:17 PM
I mean, the sound card is not used when a DAC/amp is plugged into a USB port?

Yes.