Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
First off, I'd like to start by saying that I've searched the archives and read previous posts on this matter. Just need to narrow it down a bit.

1) Many are against antivirus. But the other half do, for protective measures. (I've been a PC user until I made the switch so you can understand the paranoia. It was mentioned in other posts that Norton makes money off of switchers, which I guess I'm an addition to.)

do I get antivirus or no?

2) many people who have recommended an antivirus go for Nortons. And the other half tells us to stay away from Nortons in CAPS!

do I get Nortons or McAfree?

3) One side says that there are no known virus for mac OS. Others mentioned they've had attacks.

So, do I just keep my firewall (the one built in) on, and do system updates often, and forget about the antivirus and save money.

Or, do I choose between nortons and mcafree and feel safe.

I'd also like to mention that I used Acquisition (downloading music) often.

Sigh, OK, advice anyone?

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
dorqiekat said:
First off, I'd like to start by saying that I've searched the archives and read previous posts on this matter. Just need to narrow it down a bit.

1) Many are against antivirus. But the other half do, for protective measures. (I've been a PC user until I made the switch so you can understand the paranoia. It was mentioned in other posts that Norton makes money off of switchers, which I guess I'm an addition to.)

do I get antivirus or no?

2) many people who have recommended an antivirus go for Nortons. And the other half tells us to stay away from Nortons in CAPS!

do I get Nortons or McAfree?

1) Up to you, I've never had a Mac virus.
2) Virex.

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
dorqiekat said:
I'd also like to mention that I used Acquisition (downloading music) often.

I'd more more concerned with scripts that are billed as music files doing any number of malcious things to your system; these wouldn't be picked up by anti-virus software anyway.

I personally think anti-virus sofware is a waste of money unless you are running windows.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
morkintosh said:
I'd more more concerned with scripts that are billed as music files doing any number of malcious things to your system; these wouldn't be picked up by anti-virus software anyway.

Sorry but, what does this mean? Like bogus music files? Can you detect it yourself?
morkintosh said:
personally think anti-virus sofware is a waste of money unless you are running windows.

I'm trying to avoid buying antivirus, but if there is a certain risk than I'd rather be safe. I'm not talking about 1% chance or anything..

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
dorqiekat said:
Sorry but, what does this mean? Like bogus music files? Can you detect it yourself?

Yes bogus music files. You can't really detect it very well beyond checking out the file size; if you are getting the full length In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and it is only 500K then I wouldn't open it.

It basically comes down to using caution, since you get what you pay for ... caveat emptor!

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
safer than fort knox...

With current updates and firewall you are safer then a win-machine with firewall and anti virus progs, MUCH SAFER!!!

I've had macs since the compact black'n white 9 inch monitors and 8 mhz,
and i have had virus ONCE, it was in the mid 90s and it was called sevendustC(?) didn't do much trouble either.

I have never heard of a macosx virus, but there is a ms word macro virus would ruin your word docs. (works on all platforms it's due to microsofts macrofuntions..)

-tb

vkapoormd

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
San Francisco, CA
dorqiekat said:

I'm trying to avoid buying antivirus, but if there is a certain risk than I'd rather be safe. I'm not talking about 1% chance or anything..

Yeah my experience has been the same; i don't use any antivirus software, and i switched over from Windows over a year ago, and haven't had any problems; when i did briefly have Norton AV on my PB (that i borrowed from a friend), it slowed down everything, especially booting up or logging in and out. So bottom line, you don't need anything.
:cool:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Like someone already mentioned, get Virex instead of Norton. I don't have any experience with ANY of these virus protections since I don't think its needed, but I hear Norton isn't good on Macs. Get Virex.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
From the sound of things, doesn't really sound like I really need AV. Aside from watching out for what I download and stuff. I have been without antivirus for a couple of months, and I've been good. My friend just seemed shocked that I don't have one. She has had a mac way longer than me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.