Jan 22, 2010, 05:17 AM
Hi , I went and bought OSX Leopard recently

I tried to load it on my Powerbook G4 15"

any help would be much appreciated.

Hotmix6

From Mac support site
Mac OS X 10.5: Unable to log in after an upgrade install
Symptoms
If you perform a Mac OS X 10.5 upgrade installation from a version of Mac OS X that was previously migrated from Mac OS X 10.2.8 or earlier, you may not be able to log in to your user account if the password contains eight or more characters. This article applies to Mac OS X version 10.5 installation discs; this issue should not occur with installation discs that contain Mac OS X version 10.5.1 or later.

If you are unable to log in
you can use these steps instead:
1. Restart in Single User mode (hold Command-S during startup). Note that single-user mode always uses the US English keyboard layout.
2. At the prompt, type this followed by Return: mount -uw /
3. Type this:
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
1. Press Return
2. Type this, then press Return: ls /Users
3. Look at the listing and note the short name (username) of the affected user account.
4. Type this: 

dscl . -delete /Users/username AuthenticationAuthority

Note: Replace "username" with the affected user account's short name you noted above.
5. Press Return
get this far and this comes up
delete: Invalid Path
<dscl_cmd> DS Error: -14009 (eDSUnknownNodeName)

So obviously I cannot continue with the proceed your. If you have any advice or know what to do then please get in touch. As now the laptop is useless.

6. Type this, followed by Return: passwd username

Note: Replace "username" with the affected user account's short name you noted above.
7. At the "New password:" prompt, type the user's password, then Return. Note: It is recommended that the original user's password be used to match the keychain password.
8. At the "Retype new password" prompt, type the same password, followed by Return.
9. Type this, followed by Return: reboot

maflynn
Jan 22, 2010, 06:11 AM
Personally, I'd not load leopard on a G4 but rather go as high as tiger, which gives you the best performance and resource usage. 10.5 is a resource hog and will be slower on your G4 then the 10.4 will be.

hotmix6
Jan 22, 2010, 06:22 AM
how can i do this when im stuck at the login page of OSX leopard on the PBG4

I have the original Tiger disks. can you advise how to boot from disks?

thanks

btbrossard
Jan 22, 2010, 06:58 AM
how can i do this when im stuck at the login page of OSX leopard on the PBG4

I have the original Tiger disks. can you advise how to boot from disks?

thanks
Put the disk in the drive, restart and hold down "c".

Reformat, Install.

hotmix6
Jan 22, 2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks very much problem sorted out

iThinkergoiMac
Jan 22, 2010, 08:07 AM
10.5 is a resource hog and will be slower on your G4 then the 10.4 will be.

Interesting. On the iBook G4 that my family had, we put 10.5 on it and it seemed to run faster than 10.4. On my PowerBook, 10.5 has performed quite decently as far as I can tell.