Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosrocket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I just installed Windows 7 on my 27" iMac with the new video drivers from Apple which I followed the instructions for. Now I want to install bootcamp 3.1, I downloaded it and tried running it but it won't run. I am assuming that I first have to install bootcamp 3.0 from the Snow Leopard disc and then upgrade to 3.1. my question is, if I install boot camp 3.0, won't it revert to the video drivers that are o the disc and when I reboot I'll just have a black screen? How exactly do I install bootcamp now so I don't have that problem. Thanks in advance

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
MacWindows on a 27 Imac

You are attempting the most difficult install of your life.

Here is a page which may help you. I have not attempted it yet. 2 weeks of working with boot camp have driven me to give up. Do not believe the AAPL hype about running windows on your machine.

softpedia.com (apple news editor Filip Truta0

tags: software update/boot camp/ windows / windows 7 /drivers

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/bootcampsoftwareupdate31forwindows64bit.html
Just in case you haven't tried this yet, download the whole file there (the link is for 64-bit Windows 7, 32-bit is available also).

You are attempting the most difficult install of your life.

Here is a page which may help you. I have not attempted it yet. 2 weeks of working with boot camp have driven me to give up. Do not believe the AAPL hype about running windows on your machine.
To be fair to Apple, they haven't officially supported Windows 7 in Boot Camp yet, shouldn't be too long though.

cosrocket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/bootcampsoftwareupdate31forwindows64bit.html
Just in case you haven't tried this yet, download the whole file there (the link is for 64-bit Windows 7, 32-bit is available also).

I downloaded the 3.1 update from Apple.

This makes absolutely no sense to me unless I’m doing something wrong. I have a 27 inch iMac with the ATI Radeon 4850 video card. To install Windows 7 via Bootcamp without getting a black screen Apple has video drivers, which you install via a flash drive. That worked fine and everything was great. Now I have to install the bootcamp 3.1 software on the Windows side, but you have to upgrade from bootcamp 3.0, you cannot install bootcamp 3.1 from the download as it is an upgrade. I tried and nothing happens. Here is where the big problem is, if you install bootcamp 3.0, it replaces the working video drivers with the drivers that give a black screen. So how the heck am I supposed to install Bootcamp 3.1 with a black screen?

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Ah I see, let me get this straight: when you first booted up Windows 7 it appears as a black screen, you fix this by inserting a USB flash drive that installs the drivers automatically, fixing the problem so you can login.

Now you want to install Boot Camp 3.0, but that will put the old drivers back?

dartmouth5

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2009
Ah I see, let me get this straight: when you first booted up Windows 7 it appears as a black screen, you fix this by inserting a USB flash drive that installs the drivers automatically, fixing the problem so you can login.

Now you want to install Boot Camp 3.0, but that will put the old drivers back?
Exactly. I don't know why I cannot install Bootcamp 3.1 without first installing Bootcamp 3.0.

Unseelie23

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Exactly. I don't know why I cannot install Bootcamp 3.1 without first installing Bootcamp 3.0.

Did you download the correct version, there are two. There is a version for 32bit, and a version for 64bit.

That said, just run Apple Software Update in Windows 7 and let it update for you.

sentros

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
Finland
Ok I have the same problem as you guys. I have now been trying to get Windows 7 64-bit version to work on my late 2009 iMac (i7 version).

First of my problems was the infamous black screen problem which I corrected with the help of Apple "iMac Late 2009 Windows 7 Drivers" that I put on my USB stick.

Now that I have Win 7 running on this thing I ran into the problem of not being able to install the Boot Camp 3.1 update. Now as far as I can tell there is no boot camp software installed. So for instance none of my regular Apple keyboard binds work (such as changing screen brightness or volume control). Also the icon in the notification area there is no boot camp thingie.

I hope some of you smarter guys have some work around for this since I'm getting a bit frustrated here. :mad:

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
Exactly. Why is Boot Camp 3.0 on the Mac side and why is 3.1 (according to Tec support) on the Win 7 side?

This make no sense.

Mythic Frost. I thought boot camp 3.1 WAS the support we needed for win 7?

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Mythic Frost. I thought boot camp 3.1 WAS the support we needed for win 7?
Ah you're right, seems I've overlooked that :p

I do have an idea though, I have no idea if it will work or not, be careful though because if you did it and it didn't work you'd be stuck.
Install Boot Camp 3.0, you should see your screen go black, give it "5-10" minutes to finish, insert the USB flash drive and install the drivers again.

That said, couldn't someone write a simple program to "copy" the drivers on a working Win 7 system when it's opened, and then the user starts installing Boot Camp 3.0, and the program waits 5-10 minutes for it to finish, and then replaces the old drivers just installed by BC3 with the previous working ones?

It sounds simple to me, enough that I could write that in VB (I think), but I'd have absolutely no way to test it, nor do I know where the drivers are for a working system with that graphics card, nor the name of them :p

cosrocket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
So I'm wondering if this will work, copy the contents of bootcamp 3.0 to the desktop and go into drivers and delete the ATI and Nvidia folders and delete Apple display under the Apple folder. At least then the offending video driver will not be installed.

hideous.ape

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
Ok people are getting confused by this so I'll try to explain. Everyone is mixing up totally separate things.

1) Windows 7 Installer needing a USB/Driver workaround.

This fix is because of a problem in the Windows 7 installer, so once the actual OS is installed this workaround has done it's job and you can forget about it. Now you move onto the second issue.

2) Windows 7 OS is now installed on your Mac but it does not have a full package of drivers installed for GFX, Sound, Bluetooth, etc.

Now you install BC 3.0 and then update that to BC 3.1. Regardless of what the USB workaround has installed BC 3.1 is the latest supported package of drivers. With Win 7 installed on your iMac your free to install whatever drivers you want but the simplest officially supported method to get Win 7 installed and setup is:

- Use the USB/Driver workaround to get Win 7 installed on your iMac.
- When Win 7 first boots up to the desktop, insert SnowLeopard disc and install Bootcamp 3.0.
- Restart when prompted...do not skip this as it's necessary for some drivers to complete there installation.
- When Win 7 reboots to the desktop allow a minute or so for all drivers to fully load. Now select Apple Software Update from the Start Menu and install BC 3.1.
- Once again, restart when prompted.

3) Winclone...it's free!

Save yourself a lot of time and hassle by installing Winclone on the Mac side before you even install Win 7 or any Microsoft OS. After you install Win 7 and it boots up to the desktop for the first time, select Restart, hold Option key and boot back into OSX. Use Winclone to make an image. Save this as something like Win7_No_Drivers_64. Boot back into Win 7 and follow on with the install sequence above. You can make an image after installing BC 3.0 if you want. But eventually make an image after you install 3.1 cause then you can play around with any amount of newer or Beta drivers, if it messes up your install or system you can re-image the original 3.1 image in less than 5 minutes.

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
Darkness All Around

All of the above; h. ape etc... presupposes that we can SEE Win 7.

Yes I think it is installed, but with the black screen of death, I can insert the Mac Disk all I want, I have no way to access when all I see darkness.

I think the AAPL boys and girls on the sales side need to tell new customers that it is a matter of luck and or hacker skills or an advanced degree in computer science to install Win 7. Now, where is my old XP disk. hummmm

sentros

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
Finland
Ok so I found a reason for my problems.

My problem was that I was unable to install Boot Camp 3.1 on my computer since I didn't have the 3.0 version. And when I tried to install the 3.0 version from my Snow Leopard DVD it said something like "this is not intended for this operating system".

Now the reason turned out to be that fact that I was trying to install Boot Camp 3.0 from the Snow Leopard DVD that I bought just when the OS came out. So it was the old 10.6.0 version. The version that came with the iMac was infact the newer 10.6.2 version which had the right Boot Camp version that installed itself on Windows 7 without any problems.

After all this I was able to install the 3.1 update and am enjoying my videos that can be only played on windows side (wms). :)

waffle911

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
⇧⌥K = 
Ok first off, did you follow the USB stick workaround required to fix the black screen issue:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

If you did follow this workaround then yes that is a major problem because that was the sole purpose of that USB stick fix.
Hideous Ape, It seems you missed some of the key points some of these guys were making:
I downloaded the 3.1 update from Apple.

This makes absolutely no sense to me unless I’m doing something wrong. I have a 27 inch iMac with the ATI Radeon 4850 video card. To install Windows 7 via Bootcamp without getting a black screen Apple has video drivers, which you install via a flash drive. That worked fine and everything was great. Now I have to install the bootcamp 3.1 software on the Windows side, but you have to upgrade from bootcamp 3.0, you cannot install bootcamp 3.1 from the download as it is an upgrade. I tried and nothing happens. Here is where the big problem is, if you install bootcamp 3.0, it replaces the working video drivers with the drivers that give a black screen. So how the heck am I supposed to install Bootcamp 3.1 with a black screen?

Ok I have the same problem as you guys. I have now been trying to get Windows 7 64-bit version to work on my late 2009 iMac (i7 version).

First of my problems was the infamous black screen problem which I corrected with the help of Apple "iMac Late 2009 Windows 7 Drivers" that I put on my USB stick.

Now that I have Win 7 running on this thing I ran into the problem of not being able to install the Boot Camp 3.1 update. Now as far as I can tell there is no boot camp software installed. So for instance none of my regular Apple keyboard binds work (such as changing screen brightness or volume control). Also the icon in the notification area there is no boot camp thingie.

I hope some of you smarter guys have some work around for this since I'm getting a bit frustrated here. :mad:

They are well aware of the USB stick workaround. And it has failed to completely solve their problem.

Although it seems Sentros solved his problem already, I do wonder if this is the case with cosrocket.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The version that came with the iMac was infact the newer 10.6.2 version which had the right Boot Camp version that installed itself on Windows 7 without any problems.
That explains why many of us didn't get any errors when installing the BC 3.0 drivers and others did. Thanks for posting that.

IMHO, Apple should just enable BC to install from scratch in Apple Software Update and make ASU available as a separate download. It can check your hardware identify the Mac you own and download only the necessary drivers.

B

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
Drivers on USB

I put the drivers on my USB still get the BOD. "Black Screen of Death"

1. What am I doing wrong?

2. The USB instructions sate "do not place in sub folders" How do I know if I did so. I made no changes when I transferred the file.

I load win 7 with the USB attached to my USB hub. I still get BOD???

:confused:

hideous.ape

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
I put the drivers on my USB still get the BOD. "Black Screen of Death"

1. What am I doing wrong?

2. The USB instructions sate "do not place in sub folders" How do I know if I did so. I made no changes when I transferred the file.

I load win 7 with the USB attached to my USB hub. I still get BOD???

:confused:

I noticed you said "transferred the file" so are you extracting the download first or just copying a single file to the USB stick?
Also do not use an external USB hub this may be causing the failure if you have the correct files on the USB stick...only use one of the onboard iMac USB ports.

The subfolder thing means you are not supposed to drop the drivers into a folder you created on the USB stick. For example if you created a folder called "Win7fix" and you dropped the extracted drivers into that then it will not work. Windows 7 needs to be able to read the files from the lowest or root level. It's an old Windows thing...for example:

"C:/Win7fix/Drivers" will not work. Win7 will not be able to see or use the drivers because it would need to be re-coded by Microsoft to specifically look inside your particular named folder to find the drivers. So any folder you create will just block the fix from working.

1) I'm assuming you are doing the following to prepare the USB stick first:

1. From the Go menu, choose Utilities.
2. Open Disk Utility.
3. Select the USB drive in the left side of the Disk Utility window.
4. Click the Partitions tab.
5. Click Options.
6. Click the "Master Boot Record" radio button.
7. Click OK.
8. Click the Format tab.
9. Select MS-DOS (FAT).
10. Name the disk MBRFAT
11. Click Apply.
12. Click Partition.
13. When the process is complete, quit Disk Utility.

2) Then you need to extract the package you downloaded, once thats extracted, just copy the folder called "Drivers" and the file called "AutoUnattended.xml" to the USB device's icon to copy the files to it. Do not copy them to any subfolders. So if you now doubleclick the USB stick all you should have on it is a folder called "Drivers" and a file called "AutoUnattended.xml". Everything else you extracted in the Apple download is unecessary.

3) Continue with the install instructions:
- Start the Boot Camp Assistant.
- Select a partition size and click Partition.
- After partitioning has completed, click Start the installation and insert your Windows 7 install DVD. Your computer will restart.
- Follow the onscreen Windows install instructions. If this is a new installation, remember to use the Windows installer to format the BOOTCAMP partition--you'll need to click on Drive Options (Advanced) to see a Format selection.
- Your computer will restart several times during the installation process. The screen may go black for several minutes while the Windows installer locates the drivers on your USB storage device. You should not turn off your computer during this process.
- A screen should eventually appear asking you to establish a user account in Windows 7.

If the screen remains black after several minutes, power it off (hold the power button for several seconds), then go back to step 6. Ensure that your USB device is formatted as Master Boot Record, FAT, and that AutoUnattend.xml and drivers are on the root level of the directory.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
sorry, no luck.

USB is correct and in proper slot.

Nothing but the BOD.

Been trying since 12 Jan.

I had the same issue with the USB no working to fix the issue. I settled for installing Windows XP Pro right now. I use it for games and so far I haven't had a single issue with performance running any game I throw at it.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
sorry, no luck.

USB is correct and in proper slot.

Nothing but the BOD.

Been trying since 12 Jan.

If this is the same black screen after the initial install of Win7, I thought all you had to do was connect an external monitor and continue from there. Of course it doesn't work if you don't have access to another screen. When my friend had this problem, we used his HDTV using my mini-displayport to HDMI adapter.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.