Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beckman1212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Hi.

I was wondering isnt there any way to get the sound from the Micro Display Port via a Hdmi Cable?

Maybe with a Widget or something?

Any ideas?

Thankfull for answers : )

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Monoprice sells an adapter that takes the video from MiniDisplayport and audio from the USB jack and converts it to a single HDMI output.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
That's what I'm using right now to show Spongebob via Plex to the TV while I listen to iTunes on my iMac- the Audio over USB doesn't take up the headphone jack or shut off the internal iMac speakers- fantastic device, highly recommended.

Wow this is fantastic indeed, but I'm a little confused as to how it all works. I know they're are USB speaker systems, but how does the Mac know to transmit audio via USB? Does the cable act as a device itself, telling the Mac that its a USB audio ready device? :confused:

heySparky

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Oregon
Wow this is fantastic indeed, but I'm a little confused as to how it all works. I know they're are USB speaker systems, but how does the Mac know to transmit audio via USB? Does the cable act as a device itself, telling the Mac that its a USB audio ready device? :confused:

Personally, I wouldn't really have to know how it works just as long as it DOES work. Kind of like the LCD screen on my Macbook. I don't really know how it works either, but it does just the same.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Personally, I wouldn't really have to know how it works just as long as it DOES work. Kind of like the LCD screen on my Macbook. I don't really know how it works either, but it does just the same.

LOL, good call. I think I'll follow your lead :D

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Mac will not go to sleep!

BUMP!

Ok, i finally got this cable, and everything is really great so far, except for one thing, and that is my mac refuses to go to sleep whenever connected to this adapter. When I try putting it to sleep, it just wakes right back up after about 3 seconds.

I have tried this adapter on two Macs in the household, a Macbook, and an iMac, both latest models running 10.6.2, and both exhibit the same issue.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? It's getting rather annoying and I'm hoping someone here could explain to me what's going on and if they've possibly found a fix for it.

Much appreciated...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.