Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thabridawg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2002
I have an IX Micro ixTV card... unfortunately the company went out of business. The card works when I boot in OS 9, but doesn't work in OS X, even with other applications like BTV. It doesn't even work in OS X when I launch Classic, nor does it work within Windows 98 when I launch Virtual PC.

I've also tried some apps like xTelevision, iTele and VideoViewer in OS X, none of them work.

It seems like all "Brooktree" (whatever that means) PCI TV Tuner cards aren't compatible with OS X because of the way OS X was written.

So is there anyone else here with the same situation?

If so, what are you doing?

Here's what I thought up of so far:

1. Just restart in OS 9 whenever I want to watch TV.

2. Get a S-Video to VGA cable/adapter, if they exist, and directly connect my satellite reciever to my monitor (my monitor has one DVI input and 2 analog inputs). Only problem is, the TV would be fullscreen and I couldn't use the computer at the same time.

3. GHETTO SOLUTION. Since you can watch video from USB/Firewire in BTV, and I have a Firewire DV camera... put an S-Video cable out from my satellite reciever, into my camera's input, and then connect my camera to my computer with FireWire. I'd have to turn on my camera everytime I want to watch TV, but this is the only solution that I can think of that will let me watch TV in OS X.

I don't really want to buy something like an EyeTV from El Gato, cause they're too expensive, although that would be nice. DV bridges are expensive too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.