Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gene Shalit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
I've recently set my computer to hibernate instead of sleep, but I've found that when the computer hibernates, external drives are not ejected properly. I found an AppleScript command that ejects everything, but that includes the disc in the CD/DVD drive (which I don't want to be ejected). Here's the script I have at this point:
Code:
tell application "Finder" to eject (every disk whose ejectable is true)
tell application "System Events"
	sleep
end tell

Basically what I want it to say is:
Code:
tell application "Finder" to eject (every disk whose isCDdrive is false)
	sleep
end tell
...where "isCDdrive" is something that the computer would actually understand. So what I'm asking is does anyone know what the generic descriptor of the computer's CD/DVD drive is?

UPDATE:
I changed the script to say:
Code:
tell application "Finder" to eject (every disk whose owner privileges is read write)
tell application "Finder" to eject (every disk whose owner privileges is write only)
	sleep
end tell

This does the trick for now. Even when there is a blank CD where I have read and write privileges, it's not ejected with this script. The only problem I can see at this point is if I have an external drive that is read only. If that ever happens, it won't be ejected; however, I don't know if a read only drive can be damaged if removed without being ejected.

If anyone knows if a read only drive can be damaged if removed without ejecting, or if anyone knows of a better way to script this, feel free to post.

UPDATE:
I've found a new problem. If I mount a disk image, and I have write privileges, it will be ejected when I run the script (which I don't want to happen), so an alternative to the script I have now would be preferred.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
I've tried both of these scripts on my system. I have one external drive with multiple partitions. I added a dmg as well as a CD. I can't find anything in AppleScript that tells you for sure that you can generalize that a drive is a CD/DVDs unless you're willing to assume that all read-only disks are CD/DVDs

Would it be wrong to do something like this:

Code:
tell application "Finder"
	set diskList to the disks
	repeat with dl in diskList
		set theName to the name of dl
		display dialog theName
		if theName is "The name of a disk I want to eject" then
			eject dl
		else if theName is "The name of the second disk I want to eject" then
			eject dl
		else if theName is "The name of the third disk I want to eject" then
			eject dl
		end if
	end repeat
end tell

You might also try this:

Code:
set nameList to {}

set diskList to the disks
	repeat with dl in diskList
		set nameList to nameList & the name of dl
	end repeat
	set ejectList to choose from list nameList with prompt "Which disks do you want to eject" with multiple selections allowed
	repeat with eL in ejectList
		try
			set ejectDisk to (disks whose name is eL)
		on error
			set ejectDisk to (disks whose name is eL) -- this is absolutely ridiculous
		end try
	end repeat
end tell

On the second script ... I found a combo of two disks that burped a weird AS error, but ONLY that combo. Trapping the error and repeating the line somehow corrected it. FYI, the second script doesn't include any error checking. It assumes you won't try to eject your startup disk.

mt

Gene Shalit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
When I tried working with the first script you gave, I got this:
Finder got an error: Can’t get theName of disk "(disk name)".

The second one's no good for what I want to do because I just want a simple one-click application that ejects all damageable disks and then hibernates the computer.

I also forgot to mention in the first post that I have very little experience with writing AppleScripts.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
When I tried working with the first script you gave, I got this:

Yikes! Repaired now.

The second one's no good for what I want to do because I just want a simple one-click application that ejects all damageable disks and then hibernates the computer.

What do you mean by damageable?

If the names of the disks remain static, that is you're working with the same computer each time this is run, the first script might be your best bet. Alternatively, you could check the privileges of each disk and decide based on the combinations of privileges whether you want to eject or not.

Getting back to your first post:

tell application "Finder" to eject (every disk whose owner privileges is write only)

Is there such a thing as a disk that is a write-only disk? I'd guess this was a typo but AS doesn't burp on this, so it must be OK.

mt

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Is there such a thing as a disk that is a write-only disk? I'd guess this was a typo but AS doesn't burp on this, so it must be OK.

The script refers to owner privileges. This corresponds to the Posix owner permission bits. So write-only is valid.

Note that a volume may be mounted read-only even though owner privileges are something else. For example, insert a CD or DVD (any media other than DVD-RAM) and execute the 'mount' command in Terminal. Then execute ls -la on the mount-point of the CD or DVD. Compare with the Applescript:

Code:
tell app "Finder" to get properties of (last disk)

There's probably a way to parse the output of 'mount', or the output of 'diskutil info mountPoint', to tell you whether something is mounted read-only, or which physical drive it's on. See the man pages for mount and diskutil, and try some things.

wsha

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
I also had the problem of wanting to eject all ejectable disks from my laptop via AppleScript except for the optical disc drive. For some reason the read/write and "free space is 0" solutions that come up on Google weren't working for me. Here is what I eventually came up with. I don't guarantee that it will work for other people but you can give it a try:

Code:
	-- This script should eject every ejectable disk except for optical drives
	-- Determining which drives are optical drives is a little tricky and some 
	-- assumptions are made in searching for them.  Read the comments below.

-- Without the escape characters the shell command below is
	-- "diskutil list | awk '/^\dev/ {print $1}' | sed 's/\//\/\//g'
	-- The awk command returns a return separated list of the names of the current disks
	-- The sed command (which is a mess of escape characters) replaces each "/" in
	-- the nams of the disks with "\/". This is necessary so that the /'s will be 
	-- properly escaped when they are used again in a do shell script command.
	set diskListStr to do shell script "diskutil list | awk '/^\\/dev/ {print $1}' | sed 's/\\//\\\\\\//g'"
	-- Turn the string of disk names into an AppleScript list
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to return
	set diskList to every text item of diskListStr

-- Search through the disks in diskList for any disk that has the "Optical"
	-- in its diskutil info results.
	set opticalDrives to ""
	-- The repeat loop below performs the following shell commands on each diskName
	-- in diskList:
	--
	-- First it does:
	-- "diskutil info diskName | sed 's/^[ \t]*//g' | grep Optical
	-- which searches diskutil info for any lines beginning with "Optical".  Usually only optical
	-- drives match this criteria.
	--
	-- Then it does:
	-- "diskutil list diskName | awk 'NF > 5' | awk '{{for(i=3;i<=NF-3;i++){printf "%s",$i}}printf "\n"} | sed 's[ \t]*$//'"
	-- which searches through diskutil list for any lines with more than five fields.  
	-- diskutil list outputs a table of information with five columns about each partition of the disk.
	-- One of these columns is the name of the partition.  Not all partitions have names, but the ones
	-- that show up in Finder as ejectable disks use the name shown here.  The SIZE column uses 
	-- the format "### KB/MB/GB" so it alwasy has two words.  That is why we look for lines with more than
	-- five fields.  Then we pull out the entries between the first two and the last three.  These are the 
	-- entries that are not part of the partition name.  We put all of the names thus found into a list.
	-- Below we will eject all disks not in the list.
	-- Note: I am not positive that some disks do not have extra named partitions on CDs/DVDs beyond 
	-- the ones that show up as disks in Finder.  If they do and there is a naming conflict with
	-- another disk, that name will be added to the noEject list and the corresponding disk will not be ejected.
	repeat with currentDisk in diskList
		set currentScript to "diskutil info " & currentDisk & " | sed 's/^[ \\t]*//' | grep Optical"
		set currentString to ""
		try
			set currentString to do shell script currentScript
		end try
		if length of currentString > 0 then
			set currentScript to "diskutil list " & currentDisk & " | awk 'NF > 5' | "
			set currentScript to currentScript & "awk '{{for(i=3;i<=NF-3;i++){printf \"%s \",$i}}printf \"\\n\"}'"
			set currentScript to currentScript & " | sed 's/[ \\t]*$//'"
			try
				set opticalDrives to do shell script currentScript
			end try
		end if
	end repeat
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to return
	set noEjectList to every text item of opticalDrives
	-- Add the startup disk to the list for good measure, though it should not
	-- be ejectable any way.
	copy name of startup disk to the end of noEjectList

-- Loop through the list of ejectable disks and eject any that are not in the 
	-- noEjectList created above
	set currentDisks to the name of every disk whose ejectable is true
	repeat with tempDisk in currentDisks
		if (tempDisk is not in noEjectList) then
			eject tempDisk
		end if
	end repeat

end tell

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
How did you do that, if you don't mind sharing?

From the other thread you've posted in:

It is very easy to set the hibernate mode really all you do is in a terminal:

Normal
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

Instant
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

PS. Does not work on secure ram, also powerbook/ibook users must enter lots more, but theres programs to automate all this

Open terminal and type
Code:
man pmset
to make sure this is still valid for your Mac.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.