PDA

View Full Version : Replacing iMac G5 iSight Logic Board

Applemacattack
Jan 22, 2010, 09:17 PM
I've recently been having problems with my iMac G5 iSight after downloading iTunes 9. After a series of freeze-ups, i noticed a visual anomaly appear on my screen. Little hash-marks all over the display were present, and playing DVDs or iTunes visualizer would result in a checkerboard pattern. After doing some research, I found out this was a logic board problem, and it was not uncommon for iMac G5s. However, I kept using my computer for a few more months when it then started freezing two minutes after boot up. I figured it was time to open up the computer and take a look. But after spending the 3.5 hours opening the machine, removing all of the cables and screws, I couldn't find any visible damage on the board. No swollen capacitors like everyone was complaining about. The only strange thing I saw was some discoloration on a few circuits near the USB and Firewire outlets.
I've decided to replace the logic board myself for around $370, and I was wondering about a few things.
1. Would the new logic board come with a processor, or would I need to pry it off of my old one, and re-attach it?
2. Would I need to go through a lot of re-programing and software issues if I replaced my logic board, or would it just start running right off the bat after replacing it?
3. Is this operation worth it? Because I have come to like my iMac after 5 years of use, and I would like to know if fixing it would give me a decent amount of usage before I would simply need to replace it.
Any help would be appreciated.

flopticalcube
Jan 22, 2010, 09:20 PM
Its not worth it. Put the money toward a new iMac. Sell the G5 for parts on eBay.

sstickygreen
Jan 22, 2010, 09:33 PM
I've recently been having problems with my iMac G5 iSight after downloading iTunes 9. After a series of freeze-ups, i noticed a visual anomaly appear on my screen. Little hash-marks all over the display were present, and playing DVDs or iTunes visualizer would result in a checkerboard pattern. After doing some research, I found out this was a logic board problem, and it was not uncommon for iMac G5s. However, I kept using my computer for a few more months when it then started freezing two minutes after boot up. I figured it was time to open up the computer and take a look. But after spending the 3.5 hours opening the machine, removing all of the cables and screws, I couldn't find any visible damage on the board. No swollen capacitors like everyone was complaining about. The only strange thing I saw was some discoloration on a few circuits near the USB and Firewire outlets.
I've decided to replace the logic board myself for around $370, and I was wondering about a few things.
1. Would the new logic board come with a processor, or would I need to pry it off of my old one, and re-attach it?
2. Would I need to go through a lot of re-programing and software issues if I replaced my logic board, or would it just start running right off the bat after replacing it?
3. Is this operation worth it? Because I have come to like my iMac after 5 years of use, and I would like to know if fixing it would give me a decent amount of usage before I would simply need to replace it.

Well your problem could be 2 things. One could be the power supply, I would get a volt meter and check it and the other could be the logic board. The new logic board comes with the processor and video card already soldered on. You wouldn't have to reload or program anything the computer will start right up just make sure everything is reconnected. I worked for apple as a genius for many years. Really you have to ask yourself that question if its worth it or not some people will say yes and others will say no. 370 is a lot of money to put into a older computer but it's still cheaper then a new one. Hope this helps and best of luck.

flopticalcube
Jan 22, 2010, 10:12 PM
Just FYI, at $370 you are halfway to a new iMac: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB323LL/A?mco=MTExOTk2MzU

It will run rings around the G5.

ZIMM
May 1, 2010, 08:44 AM

Yeah yeah old post, But Im a PC tech and I just decided to troll MAC forums.
I have been fixing THIS problem on macs for a few years.

you do not need to replace Logic board.
I mean you do ..but you don't
Go to your computer store with 40 buks.
ask for a USB card. it wll plug into your pic slots.
go home. Plug it in.
turn on your computer. IT WILL WORK!

some of these cards only cost 20 buks. lol.
I have been making 60.00 a repair for years now.
I had NO IDEA it was so costly from a MAC dealer and they were replacing entire logic boards.

I only foiund out when my art director buddy neighbour says to me this is sometimes a 1500.00 issue for art guys who adore thier macs.

I'm a PC tech and I just laughed.

but anyway hope this late news is gonna save some of you some money but THIS FIX ALWAYS WORKS. why?

Your slots aren,t broken lol.
They WILL read a card that gets plugged in, it just so happens it'll be a USB card :P

ZIMMmachines.com I do alot of free crap so never fear to drop by.

Casuarina
Nov 23, 2010, 11:55 PM
Zimm wrote:
"Yeah yeah old post, But Im a PC tech and I just decided to troll MAC forums.
I have been fixing THIS problem on macs for a few years.

you do not need to replace Logic board.
I mean you do ..but you don't
Go to your computer store with 40 buks.
ask for a USB card. it wll plug into your pic slots.
go home. Plug it in.
turn on your computer. IT WILL WORK!

some of these cards only cost 20 buks. lol.
I have been making 60.00 a repair for years now.
I had NO IDEA it was so costly from a MAC dealer and they were replacing entire logic boards."

This would help solve my problem of a just diagnosed dead logic board, and writing off my 4 year old machine. But how do I do this? - eg., where is the pic slots?!!!

Troy Jollimore
Dec 7, 2010, 05:04 PM
I think he meant 'PCI' slots...and probably other types of Macs. The G5 doesn't have any PCI slots, so you're stuck with the logic board.

VanneDC
Dec 9, 2010, 01:19 AM
pls dont feed the trolls, hopefully they will just go away ...

MacHamster68
Dec 12, 2010, 11:55 PM
hello get the new logicboard , powersupply depending which one of them is broken (both breakdowns are common for G5 iMacs ,but the later isight tend to a broken PSU )

yes you could sell for spares /repair , but only with luck you get more then $50 for the iMac g5 in not working condition

so take the $370 and look for a early intel in good condition , watch out if the display was exchanged , as the early intels have a tendency to get stripey displays

take the $50+ you got for the iMac G5 for a snow leopard disc and ilife 11 as usually Mac's come without software disc's