Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Im thinking about upgrading my G4 400 Mhz Processor to 1.2 or 1.4 Ghz, how hard and detailed would this be?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Im thinking about upgrading my G4 400 Mhz Processor to 1.2 or 1.4 Ghz, how hard and detailed would this be?

You can overclock the G4 processor a bit by replacing/changing/removing tiny resisters on the CPU daughtercard to squeeze out an additional 50-100mhz. You can also look into the dual 550mhz CPU as those can be found for cheap but your logic board has to support it.

OWC makes the upgrade CPUs that you're talking about but I don't think they are worth it in terms of performance gains for the amount of money you'd have to spend, typically $100-$400! The slow 100mhz bus really slows it down.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Yeah, I'd suggest ebay at this point unless you're married to that G4 for the next 2-3 years. If that's the case, you could buy from OWC; I bought a dual 1.3gHz for my Sawtooth a couple years back and, since at the time it was my main machine, it was DEFINITELY worth it. The RAM ceiling became a factor when I started using CS3, though, which is why I switched to a G5. I still use the G4 for recording and mixing audio, though, works great, and I'm glad I still have the upgrade...

So yeah. Not really worth the money unless you plan to use the system regularly for a while. They also generate a LOT more heat than the stock processors, so be ready for your G4 to double as a space heater! Replacing them is super easy, you just pop off the heat sink brackets, remove it, unscrew three screws, and pull up. Be careful when putting in the new card as the connectors are a bit sensitive; when popping it in you'll know you're good if the screw mounts are lined up with the screw holes. It's not hard at all (and most of the upgrades come with heatsinks already mounted, so no worries there).

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
how hard and detailed would this be?

Very easy, but it will cost several times the value of your computer.

Sell the G4 and use the $400 you would have spent on the CPU upgrade to buy a G5 thats faster in every way in stock form.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.