Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colfaxkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
Does anyone know of hacks or anything I have missed to control my atv and other airtunes speaker volumes around my house? I realize it is possible to control the volume of all devices, but is there a way to change the volume level in different rooms?

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
The AirTunes system, as a whole, doesn't let you independently control the volumes of your various music destinations. You have to set the relative volume levels at each device at the device itself, then you can control the volume level of the entire system as you describe.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
airfoil will let you do this. But you will have to be sending audio from a computer. You also will not be able to control individual volumes remotely from an iPhone/iTouch, but you can still adjust the "master" volume

Airfoil will let you send audio from any mac or windows machine to mac, windows, linux, :apple:tv, iphone, ipod touch or airport express.
The sync isn't quite as tight as with iTunes/airtunes, but pretty good. I occasionally have to disconnect/reconnect to get everything back into sync, the biggest offender is the iPhone.
this also gives you the option to send audio from pandora or last.fm.

Video is a bit trickier because there is a delay, bu there is a video player that comes with airfoil.

check out this screen shot to see the individual volume controls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.