PDA

View Full Version : iBook graphic lines?

crunked
Aug 20, 2004, 07:31 AM
Ok, I started having these weird graphic (lines) problem on the screen whenever I scroll up/down on safari. It only seems to happen when I use safari. :confused: I got my 12" 1.07GHz iBook G4 only in may of this year and i'm wondering if what's causing this is the dreaded logic board problem???...but I thought this was already supposed to be fixed by apple and only affected the G3 iBooks? :mad: Or could it be the graphics chip? I tried everything from the running the apple hardware test, to repairing permissions and hard disk and nothing has worked so far. Someone please help me out!

here's a pic:
graphic lines (http://www.imgmag.org/images/arlo/pic1.jpg)

SilentPanda
Aug 20, 2004, 07:58 AM
The "logic board problem" that you are referring to is for the iBook G3's. So it's not that. I guess there *could* be a new logic board problem but it's doubtful at this point.

You might try reinstalling Safari and see how that fares. If it's only Safari I seriously doubt it's a hardware issue (which is good).

Spock
Aug 20, 2004, 08:05 AM
It is indeed Safari, If it were hardware the screen capture would have been normal.

NusuniAdmin
Aug 20, 2004, 09:29 AM
I have that happen sometimes but not to that extreme

davegoody
Aug 20, 2004, 09:39 AM
This has happened on my 17" Powerbook (sporadically) ever since I upgraded to 10.3.5 - so it does appear to be a Safari screen-rendering bug. What OS version you running ?? - Like you this ONLY appears when I run Safari, other apps are fine

AmigoMac
Aug 20, 2004, 09:43 AM
under very specific circumstances ... something that you probably won't get if you try it ... I have the same iBook and has happened twice ...

za9ra22
Aug 20, 2004, 09:49 AM
My G4 800 iBook has a slightly different display fault - that it has triangular 'wedges' of bad data which sometimes appear as windows are opned or updated.

The bad data is usually from another part of the same window.

It can affect any window, including Safari, Mail, even in the Finder, and the bad data can be 'wiped' by dragging another window over it, or usually by minimizing the window and then maximizing again. It's more prevalent when the iBook has just been started up.

I've reset PRAM and PMU to no effect, though updating from the original 10.3 to 10.3.4 and now 10.3.5 caused the problem to disappear for a few days each time.

I've also found that cleaning the caches using Pather Cache Cleaner is capable of making the problem disappear for a while.

crunked
Aug 21, 2004, 04:41 AM
This has happened on my 17" Powerbook (sporadically) ever since I upgraded to 10.3.5 - so it does appear to be a Safari screen-rendering bug. What OS version you running ?? - Like you this ONLY appears when I run Safari, other apps are fine

i'm running 10.3.5

it happened also in 10.3.4 but it seems to happen more often after i upgraded to 10.3.5

thanks for the help guys, it's good to know that it's just safari and not a logic board problem!

NusuniAdmin
Aug 21, 2004, 09:20 AM
does this also happen on other apps that use safari's rendering engine? Such as ichat?