PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express with Linksys WRT54G

wPod
Aug 20, 2004, 09:44 AM
So, I just got an Airport Express yesterday, and it completely rocks! I just moved into a new apt for school and am still playing around with my final configureation. Right now I have a Linksys WRT54G router (which will be hooked to the internet once I get the cable connection installed saturday). I then have the AEx set up as a range extender using WDS. But to get that to work I had to turn off a number of things such as the firewall. I am not to worried about my PB with the firewall turned off b/c I have a firewall turned on within my PB. But, my roommates both have PCs and I am worried that once I get internet that their computers may be at risk if they are not behind a firewall. Does anyone know of a configuration with the Linksys router and the Airport Express where I can have the firewall turned on? Thanks for your help

saabmp3
Aug 20, 2004, 09:48 AM
Having PC's patched is a bigger deal anyways. Although a firewall should NEVER be on the computer it's specifically protecting, this rule is basically never followed. Windows SP2 has a built in firewall, so your roommates should be good to go.

BEN

Koodauw
Aug 20, 2004, 09:58 AM
Well, I have been trying to do the same thing. You are much luckier than I though, as my Airport express was never able to connect to the Linksys router. Always wanted the "Basestation password"

Well anyways, you could try updating the firmware on the linksys. There is an article about it here at http://arstechnica.com/reviews/004/airportexpress/airportexpress-4.html

Also the firmware update is linked on the site, but the site seems to be down alot. if you want it, I have it ( havn't tried it though yet) and can send you the file.

Good luck.

emw
Aug 20, 2004, 10:00 AM
So, I just got an Airport Express yesterday, and it completely rocks! I just moved into a new apt for school and am still playing around with my final configureation. Right now I have a Linksys WRT54G router (which will be hooked to the internet once I get the cable connection installed saturday). I then have the AEx set up as a range extender using WDS. But to get that to work I had to turn off a number of things such as the firewall. I am not to worried about my PB with the firewall turned off b/c I have a firewall turned on within my PB. But, my roommates both have PCs and I am worried that once I get internet that their computers may be at risk if they are not behind a firewall. Does anyone know of a configuration with the Linksys router and the Airport Express where I can have the firewall turned on? Thanks for your help

You had to turn off the Linksys router firewall in order to get it to work with the Express? That sounds a little odd, but I suppose it's possible.

Another way you could do this is to spend $30 or $40 on a wired Linksys or other router, set up its firewall settings, then use the Linksys WRT54G as a gateway to that router. That way you should be able to have good firewall protection, as well as all of your wireless stuff. It takes a little more expense, but should work okay.

Also, you can take other precautions to keep people off of your wireless network by using MAC address filtering and not publishing the SSID of your network.

sonofslim
Aug 20, 2004, 10:41 AM
i just set up an AEX with a WRT54G last weekend, with 2 macs and a prehistoric windows box that screwed everything to hell. in order to get everything playing nice, i did have to update the linksys firmware as described in the ars technica article mentioned above. (although if you don't use the AEX as a repeater, you don't have to do that -- and it might save you some hassle.)

the Airport Express Setup Assistant is kind of worthless when you're dealing with advanced features and a 3rd-party router, so use the Airport Admin Utility already found in your Apps/Utilities folder. (not the Airport Setup Assistant.)

but none of that involves turning off the firewall, and i certainly didn't have to do so -- what problem(s) are you running into?

Natalia81
Aug 20, 2004, 10:57 AM
I then have the AEx set up as a range extender using WDS.
What is WDS?

wPod
Aug 21, 2004, 08:48 PM
What is WDS?

WDS stands for workload distribution system. . . it basically is a way for two wireless devises to communicate only to each other so they can coordinate something such as wireless bridging (ie repeater). i have a wirelessly bridged system set up. and well i actually got it to work with the firewall. . . you only have to turn the firewall off to set up the airport express, once it is set up you can turn off the firewall. as well as disable the SSID broadcast. so i am pleased to say my system is up and running with a firewall and 128bit WEP encryption.

as for Koodauw you have to put a dollar sign $ in front of your WEP password on the AEX for it to work.

the best i found on the topic is http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?50@7.hPlvasdCrte.0@.6896df11

on apple's support forum. it works well except you can get a free version of the firmware (which i am using) at http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=8

follow the instructions then just turn the firewall on your router once it is all set up and you will be in business.

Powerbook G5
Aug 21, 2004, 10:29 PM
Try this:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@159.EeWka4iBuds.3@.68988cf5