Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRekz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Maybe I am not following the rumors so far, however say that the tablet gets launched, then is it true that I will need to be on contract with at&t/verizon to get the tablet? If that's the case then it would be horrible as it's the same as adding a new data plan phone for myself and therefore it will be an additional monthly expenses

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Probably not. Look at it like a netbook: You can get an HP Mini 311 from Verizon on contract and use it with their network, but you can also go pick one up at Best Buy or Amazon without a contract (you just can't use the 3G data until you sign on with Verizon).

I would be very very surprised if Apple requires a 3G data plan (assuming it has those capabilities at all).

robfromabove

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
I say if anything, they go the opposite direction of the release of the iPhone. They release the 3G-less version first (ala the iPod Touch), then with the second revision offer 3G as an alternative (like the iPhone).

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
two things

I think there will be a slot on it for a specific WWAN card sold by at&t but it will come bundled with verizon. AT&T's network can barely handle its traffic load now. The tablet would doom them.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I think there will be a slot on it for a specific WWAN card sold by at&t but it will come bundled with verizon. AT&T's network can barely handle its traffic load now. The tablet would doom them.

Right... Just what AT&T would need millions of tablets sucking down even more data. How do you spell meltdown?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I imagine...

-No data service. $799

-AT&T 3G data service. $499
$30 monthly add-on for iPhone users.
$60 monthly.

-Verizon 3G data service. $599
$50 monthly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.