Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Ahhhhhh!!!!! The sky is falling!

[begin rant]

I hate these climatological studies. Every time one comes out it ocntradicts someone else's. The climate is cooling, the climate is warming. Europe might be frozen over in 50 years and there might be widespread starving, Europe might not have cold winters anymore and the swiss alps might melt. Greenhouse gases are destoying the world, the gulf stream is going to shut down, our magnetic field is going to collapse and reverse, we're entering another ice age, we're coming out of the end of an ice age, the sky is falling.

They are all mildly interesting, but i am beginning to think that none of them know, with any slight degree of certainty, what will happen. What's worse, all of them think that their climate studies are right, so there are innumerable studeis floating around that all contradict each other in some way.

[/end rant]

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My thoughts also Vector. They don't seem to want to look at the history of the Earth. The climate has been in constant change over many millennia. I find these tactics to be meant to scare for their own end result.

I thought there were palm trees in Ireland already...

What I've heard is that Europe may be plunged into another ice-age if the ice-caps continue to melt, sending a layer of cold freshwater beneath the Gulf-Stream, effectively stalling it and stopping the influx of warm air into Europe (which is why London is Warmer than Maine)...

All theories of course...

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
jsw said:
Hard to quote a movie no one saw... ;)

I liked it... :eek: . It was fun and had really cool special effects... admittedly the science behind it was nonexistant, but it was still neat.

And there already are palm trees in San Francisco, which is ridiculously cold... for california :D. Sorry, it just aggravates me when people plant palm trees in places where they really shouldn't be...

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I think by 2080 we won't have to worry about noxious emissions. Just about everything is becoming some sort of hybird fancy pants fuel cell that s#$ts out a rainbow everytime you dirve your car. :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Heh, Day After Tomorrow was damn funny. I like how the cold chased those kids around like it was a living entity and not just temperature. :)

I enjoy climate studies. Ozone hole is getting bigger, ozone hole got smaller last year.......its all very exciting, like watching stocktraders on Wallstreet. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.