Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marea16v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Hi

This is my first post, so please be gentle

Picked up an old iMac G3 600mhz yesterday and after many mnay years of tinkering with pc's I thought Id have a go with something different

Spec is iMac G3 600mhz, 1gb ram and 40gb hd, running o/s 9.2.2

First issue is, cant get youtube to work at all, seems I need adboe flashplayer, however, from following the link it appears to be for only os x, rather than my lowly version, is there anything I can do

Is it worth my upgrading the os and what should I be looking for ? there seem to be a myraid of os's other there with many different names, none of which mean much to me !

Hoping for some help, thanks in advance

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
hello your flashproblem in os9.2.2 will not go away but its the perfect system for games on the g3 imac
but you can upgrade to osx tiger (10.4) newer so more software runs
or osx panther (10.3) one step older but faster

and you need the retail versions of each osx (try to get the CD version as yours has no dvd drive )
, not the grey discs as these are model specific discs
in tiger you should disable spotlight , as it takes up some cpu cycles which you might need for flashplayer to work
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18182
and install camino browser there are modified versions for g3 processors , and yu can alter what contet you can see on the website easy without problems , for example flash content in adverts make the website sloooooooooow so disable it , you can always enable it with a mouseklick on the content
and you need to install flashplayer 9 !!!!! if you want to see youtube , most will play on your iMac , but its still stressful for the little imac

never install flashplayer 10 as it grabs the whole graphic card and ram and cpu god knows what it does with them ,but it does not result in a watchable video , so pointless to install

here a good site for iMac g3 owners
http://imacworld.110mb.com/index.html

marea16v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Thanks so much for the info, have had a trawl of a well known auction site and have my eye on a copy of panther

One final thought, assuming when I get a copy of Panther, I can then install this without any problems, as I dont have any original software (ie OS 9.2)

CHROMEDOME

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Bay Area/LA
you need to update the firmware first before you upgrade to panther

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1395

I have a blue Dalmatian 600mhz g3 as my main computer now since my macbook died. It works pretty good, running 10.3 I would like to upgrade to tiger because it is compatible with a lot more software but I only have 256mb of ram.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
you need to update the firmware first before you upgrade to panther

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1395

I have a blue Dalmatian 600mhz g3 as my main computer now since my macbook died. It works pretty good, running 10.3 I would like to upgrade to tiger because it is compatible with a lot more software but I only have 256mb of ram.

you can upgrade to tiger on the 600 iMac g3 , it even will run with 256
but you definitely need to disable spotlight and dashboard, but still dont expect it to be as snappy as panther , it will handle tiger ...but not as fast, so upgrading ram is a must when running tiger , its not that expensive , like i said you can upgrade step by step as the imac does not need matching pairs

but the ram has to be "mac compatible "....pc100 sdram pc 133 will do as well as long as its mac compatible , so make absolute sure it is , as macs are fuzzy about ram

your little dalmatian will thank you for every mb you give him extra even if you stick with panther

CHROMEDOME

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Bay Area/LA
you can upgrade to tiger on the 600 iMac g3 , it even will run with 256
but you definitely need to disable spotlight and dashboard, but still dont expect it to be as snappy as panther , it will handle tiger ...but not as fast, so upgrading ram is a must when running tiger , its not that expensive , like i said you can upgrade step by step as the imac does not need matching pairs

but the ram has to be "mac compatible "....pc100 sdram pc 133 will do as well as long as its mac compatible , so make absolute sure it is , as macs are fuzzy about ram

your little dalmatian will thank you for every mb you give him extra even if you stick with panther

Yea I think Panther is the perfect OS for a G3 or G4. I am going to upgrade to 512mb pretty soon to tide me over until the next revision of the current iMacs.

I had originally bought the iMac as a Jukebox for my house, so we wouldnt have to have iPods and stuff out when we had parties, the guy who I bought it off threw in another 500mhz G3 with a broken HD too. It turned out that the CD drive in the working iMac was broken so I couldn't upgrade from OS 9 to OS X. I had to tear down both computers and swap the drives but now I have a great little computer. It gets a little sluggish on websites with a lot of flash ads and stuff but its great for surfing MR. I found it pretty easy to work on as well.

<3 my iMac G3

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
Thanks so much for the info, have had a trawl of a well known auction site and have my eye on a copy of panther

One final thought, assuming when I get a copy of Panther, I can then install this without any problems, as I dont have any original software (ie OS 9.2)

Do you mean eBay or eBid?

I am looking for a panther cd too!

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
I would highly recommend you go for Tiger instead of Panther in that iMac G3. Though Tiger might run a tad slower, you can't install the latest versions of Safari and I believe Firefox too on Panther.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
I would highly recommend you go for Tiger instead of Panther in that iMac G3. Though Tiger might run a tad slower, you can't install the latest versions of Safari and I believe Firefox too on Panther.

i recommend anyway using camino browser as you can get modified ones for every processor ... g3 , g4 , g5 to get the most out of browsing

macffooky

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
The 51st State
My wife has pretty much appropriated my MBP so my sofa browsing is currently done on a 600MHz/768MB iMac running 10.4.11.

I certainly echo the suggestion of the G3 optimised build of Camino. For a nearly nine year old machine the performance is excellent and it looks really cute as well.

marea16v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
My copy of Panther arrived this morning, so thought Id get cracking with the install

To recap machine spec, G3 600mhz, CDRom, 1gb Ram

Inserted disk 1 and its at the point where it says "Preparing the disk" with a multi colour disk cursor spinning around

This has sat like this for a good 20mins now, I can move the cursor around the screen, so Im pretty sure its not crashed, however, is this normal for it to take so long ?

Thanks!

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
has sometimes something to do with the ram ,take out the 1gb and fit the original ram in and try again or take out one module

iMacs are very sensible when it comes to ram, next important thing is the firmware, has to be the latest , the cd drives are usually fine they are rugged little things , but cleaning wont harm it from time to time especially after nearly 10 years, resetting pram is also a good thing to do

marea16v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Thanks for the reply, it had seem to have hung, restarted and install worked fine, plus the myriad of updates after too

However safari will not load up youtube at all, wont even bring the youtube page up, just bombs out totally

Installed camino and all worked just fine with youtube

Any ideas on decent anti virus software ?

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
My copy of Panther arrived this morning, so thought Id get cracking with the install

To recap machine spec, G3 600mhz, CDRom, 1gb Ram

Inserted disk 1 and its at the point where it says "Preparing the disk" with a multi colour disk cursor spinning around

This has sat like this for a good 20mins now, I can move the cursor around the screen, so Im pretty sure its not crashed, however, is this normal for it to take so long ?

Thanks!

Did you make sure you updated the Firmware first?

marea16v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Yes, updated firmware prior , its all installed and working now

Just an issue with safari and youtube as on my previous post

marea16v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
I have hit a stumbling block -:

All works totally fine, until I do a power off shut down (as opposed to a restart)

It starts the boot up process, gets as far as a grey screen, with an apple logo and a timer spinning around

I then have to reboot using OSX disk 1, use the disk utility tool to fix any errors, of which they are usually a couple, re-boot and it works fine

Until the next time its switched off from the mains !

Im at a loss on what to do next to be honest, I cant really use a machine that goes through this performance everytime I want to use it

marea16v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Is there anything I can do to ascertain that the HDD is at fault, as when I was running os 9.2.2 it was totally fine each time on start up

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I don't know any free hard disk examining software for OS 9. In the past, when i used to work in Classic OS there was FWB Hard Disk Toolkit - very good tool for that, but not free. Other tool was Disk Warrior 1.1 (AFAIR).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.