Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I got some external speakers/iPod dock for the second floor of my home. Works perfectly, as expected, when the iPod/iPhone is connected directly. However, that is not the issue.

I recently picked up an AirPort Express in order to stream my iTunes library to the second floor (or outside once Summer has arrived). My issue is that the signal is not strong enough to connect my Mac Mini and AirPort Express. When surfing the Internet via my other Wireless network I have set up, I have never noticed any issues, but since I set this up it has been quite horrible. I have added my Mac Min iand Airport to my other network using my D-Link AP, but I would prefer to have a dedicated network.

I am using my Mac Mini as an iTunes hub and have created a new Wireless-N network dedicated to this application. I have confirmed that Mac Mini and AirPort Express can maintain a strong enough connection within the same room and sometimes, but not very often, when on the first floor (which is only 20-30 feet away!!!). If I move the AirPort Express to the second floor, I have only connected the dedicated music wireless connection once.

Before spending any money, I was hoping to get suggestions for a resolution.

If I buy a new Wireless-N router/AP such as an AirPort Extreme, D-Link, or Linksys model, will it increase the signal more than the Mac Mini is pushing out? I think I know the answer, but I guess I want a second opinion and to make sure I'm not missing something with my existing Mac Mini/AirPort Express configuration.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or guidance you can offer.

-Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.