Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
I take it i can buy stuff from Apple Expo Paris , my question is .. do they offer any discounts and what about sales Taxes? do i get them off and pay when i get back to UK or do i get away scott free or VAT free lol

note - want to buy 2 x iPod Mini's (me and the mrs)
- Airport Express
and maybe Final Cut Express 2.0 depending on price

Ta

Tom

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
Yes, usually they offer discount at the show floor.
Not from Apple though. It will be from individual store-exposant though.
In France unless you have a business you cannot buy anything without VAT, however, since you are from the UK, when you make your purchase you can ask them if they provide you paperwork that will exempt you from paying VAT in France and on your way back to the UK at the airport or before you go on the ferry go to the custom and claim your VAT. I do it all the time when I go to France.

liketom said:
I take it i can buy stuff from Apple Expo Paris , my question is .. do they offer any discounts and what about sales Taxes? do i get them off and pay when i get back to UK or do i get away scott free or VAT free lol

note - want to buy 2 x iPod Mini's (me and the mrs)
- Airport Express
and maybe Final Cut Express 2.0 depending on price

Ta

Tom

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
france and UK both are in EU zone, so i don't think you can get a VAT refund?? maybe??

Lewisham

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
jxyama said:
france and UK both are in EU zone, so i don't think you can get a VAT refund?? maybe??

Yes. I was under the impression that being in the EU zone means that you don't have to pay tax at the time of purchase (unlike if you bought something in the US, you'd have to pay sales tax *and* VAT at customs), but you will have to pay your home country's VAT when you arrive back, if the goods are above the maximum price bracket. So Mr. Brown will still be taking his 17.5% cut, whereas he can't bust you on alcohol or cigarettes because they have a low unit cost.

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.