PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 Max Memory and 10.5 Upgrade?

apeckerhead
Jan 25, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hello I was wondering what is the max memory that I can put on my iBook G4. My G4 (12 inch) has 128 MB DDR SDRAM soldered in place and has a 800 MHz PowerPC G4 Processor. I was wondering what is the most memory I could install and what is recommended? Also I am only running Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 is it possible for me to update to 10.5 or higher? Sometimes when running videos on google video or youtube it gets choppy and lags what fixes this problem. A message pops up about quicktime not up to date but I try and do a software update and it says that my software is up to date could this be because of the older software? Please help I am sorry that that is drawn out but I am really looking to speed things up and run better. I am in need of help and would appreciate answers. Thank you very much. :D

Don't really know if this will help:
Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: iBook G4
Machine Model: PowerBook6,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 800 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz

flopticalcube
Jan 25, 2010, 05:10 PM
I think you can install a 1GB stick for 1152MB.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/stats/ibook_g4_800_12.html

There are hacks to get 10.5 on a machine below 863MHz but Tiger is probably the fastest. More RAM would be your best bet.

4JNA
Jan 25, 2010, 05:18 PM
...is it possible for me to update to 10.5 or higher?

yes to 10.5, and no to 'higher'. with your laptop, i'd would stick with 10.4.x as it runs much faster than anything 10.5.x... i still use several ibook/g4 systems, and everything i have is max memory and running 10.4 with all the updates.

a hard drive update to a newer/faster drive would help, but not much. it is an old laptop, good for basic stuff. think netbook with the benefit of 10.4! :apple:

best of luck.

apeckerhead
Jan 25, 2010, 05:25 PM
In order to stop the choppiness and quicktime popups how would I go about doing that? Just more ram? What ram do I need 2100 or 2700? And if I want to install something such as music downloading software how would I go about doing that? What do people with 10.4.11 use to download music?