PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Macbook Pros, what to add, what to remove?

Bosman
Jan 25, 2010, 07:14 PM
Do we really need Ethernet ports anymore? That space could be used for better things couldn't it? If so what do you people out there want in place of it? I mean the Airport extremes free things up so much and the speed of wireless is sick. Couldn't we do something like a dongle that the air uses for those who really want that port? I mean how many Macbook Pro owners actually want to tether their machine to an Ethernet line anyway?
Some say get rid of the superdrive too, swap it for a killer vid card and or more battery. Maybe use the extra space for keeping things cooler thus using less power and extending battery life.
Are the mac airs really so diff than the pros, i mean to keep things cool and running properly is the CPU the wild card that allows the air to be so much thinner? Are there better technologies that allow the air to be much thinner than the macbook pros?
I wonder if it is possible for people to stick to the subject...there are many good ideas out there but seriously reading posts of people being accused of being fan boys or talking about totally unrelated topics in various threads frustrates me a bit but lets condense the really good ideas about adding or removing things and why to this thread and see what happens.;)

Skibrett3211
Jan 25, 2010, 07:20 PM
I agree with you, I see no use in ethernet anymore. Personally because I am planning to buy a 13" when they update I want seperate audio in and audio out ports instead of one optical output. It is inconvient and will force me to buy a iMic or something else similiar. As for other stuff a BluRay would be nice but I know that wont happen, anything new would be nice but I don't think they"ll add anything we can't live without even though thats what they want us to think :)

enberg
Jan 25, 2010, 07:21 PM
Do we really need Ethernet ports anymore? That space could be used for better things couldn't it?
Are you serious?

spinnerlys
Jan 25, 2010, 07:23 PM
I disagree about the Ethernet port. Right now it gives you 40-50MB/s in transfer speed. Wireless does not come close to that. Not everyone surfs with their notebooks, they also use it to work, which sometimes means moving large files through the intranet of a workplace.

10GB of data in 256s or in 1706s? What do you prefer?

Plus not everyone has a wireless access point at hand all the time (where network access is granted in one way or another).

I agree about the Superdrive though, I haven't used in months, and I have three of them.

My 2 pennies to a dying horse.

Bosman
Jan 25, 2010, 07:25 PM
Are you serious?

Yes

enberg
Jan 25, 2010, 07:26 PM
Yes
I guess you never move large amounts of data then.

coast1ja
Jan 25, 2010, 07:26 PM
I doubt they will get rid of the ethernet or optical drive on the "Pro" line. There are many professional users who need both of those on a daily basis. As physical media becomes more obsolete, we will see these features removed, but not on this revision.

The MacBook Air is not similar in performance to the MBP... there are a lot of drawbacks, including the battery life, CPU power, and 2gb ram limitation (not upgradeable at all!). I don't use my superdrive that often, but when I do need it I'm sure glad I have it.

With flash memory production becoming cheaper, look for traditional media to be included on a flash drive. This will only happen if that is the cheapest storage media per byte... which it currently is not.

gfiz
Jan 25, 2010, 07:29 PM
removing the Ethernet port would be the fastest way for Apple to lose my business. Until they offer a faster, more reliable solution for me while I'm at home working...no thanks. I like being able to bring my laptop downstairs on the couch and surf the web on the couch...but my laptop is for work first, on my desk, hooked up to a secure and fast connection. Applaud the OP for trying to think outside the box...but this will not happen anytime in the near future.

puma1552
Jan 25, 2010, 07:31 PM
I'm using the ethernet dongle on my Air right now at work as I type this.

Why?

Because at this work place, and most/many others, wireless isn't even available.

Drop ethernet? Keep dreaming.

Bosman
Jan 25, 2010, 07:32 PM
I guess you never move large amounts of data then.

hahahaha! I shoot sports and weddings and upload thousands upon thousands of images in a months time and the airport extream works very well.

ExpressCard/34 slot that would be my choice if space is the issue for not having it on a 13 or a 15 MBP then i vote for having that in its place, there is so much more flexibility and options to use it for than having a port I'll never use. As i said the air has a dongle and express card could have an Ethernet port no prob.

m85476585
Jan 25, 2010, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't mind if they removed the CD drive, or made it optional (some models with it, some without)

I wouldn't buy one if it had no ethernet. Less high speed connectivity is exactly the opposite of what we need from a "pro" machine. They already took the expresscard slot and one of the firewires.

An eSATA port would be great. USB3, Lightpeak, or Firewire3200 ports would be good substitutes for eSATA. FW800 and USB are not-- they are much too slow.

Drudkh
Removing Ethernet port will be a stupid mistake. I do traveling a lot and many hotels I've been to has no wireless internet available.

Bosman
I'm using the ethernet dongle on my Air right now at work as I type this.

Why?

Because at this work place, and most/many others, wireless isn't even available.

Drop ethernet? Keep dreaming.

Huh, you still have it. Who said anything about dropping it? Obviously you don't need a separate port for it now do you?

Spandexman
I'm at university, and we have an ethernet connection to access the internet. Without it, I would be unable to go online, which would mean that it would be absolutely pointless for me to buy the mac. So, in essence, the ethernet stays! Also, there are lots of people who use macs on networks, so the ethernet is vital.

As for the rest, the superdrive should go and be replaced by a bluperdrive :) Don't really care about the rest.

csdibiase
Jan 25, 2010, 07:34 PM
removing the Ethernet port would be the fastest way for Apple to lose my business. Until they offer a faster, more reliable solution for me while I'm at home working...no thanks. I like being able to bring my laptop downstairs on the couch and surf the web on the couch...but my laptop is for work first, on my desk, hooked up to a secure and fast connection. Applaud the OP for trying to think outside the box...but this will not happen anytime in the near future.

seriously... there are also plenty of work environments where wireless is just not an option. Now killing the port on the white macbook I could see, it's target being what it is, but to drop it on the pro machine ... why that's like dropping the firewire or expresscard slot... ;)

NeuralControl
Jan 25, 2010, 07:35 PM
Ethernet is here to stay for a while. I always plug in when I am at my desk and when I need to download/upload large files.

m85476585
Jan 25, 2010, 07:36 PM
hahahaha! I shoot sports and weddings and upload thousands upon thousands of images in a months time and the airport extream works very well.

ExpressCard/34 slot that would be my choice if space is the issue for not having it on a 13 or a 15 MBP then i vote for having that in its place, there is so much more flexibility and options to use it for than having a port I'll never use. As i said the air has a dongle and express card could have an Ethernet port no prob.

Upload to the internet? No doubt your connection is slower than the Airport, unless you are on an extremely fast network somewhere.

Try transfering gigabytes of data at a time to network storage. Even 100 megabit ethernet is too slow. Newer disks are fast enough that even gigabit ethernet cannot saturate them.

A USB dongle is not fast enough for gigabit ethernet.

Brien
Jan 25, 2010, 07:41 PM
I can imagine Apple removing the EC/34 slot on the 17" sometime soon.

I'm hoping, but don't count on it, on a pretty much this-for-that upgrade:
USB2 -> USB3
FW800 -> FW3200
Superdrive - Hyperdrive? (Blu-ray)
10/100/1000BT Ethernet -> 10Gigibit Ethernet
SDHC reader -> SDXC reader
better CPU
better GPU
more RAM
bigger HDD
higher screen res: 1680x1050 on the 15", 1440x900 on the 13"
etc.

Habitus
Jan 25, 2010, 07:50 PM
Do we really need Ethernet ports anymore? That space could be used for better things couldn't it? If so what do you people out there want in place of it? I mean the Airport extremes free things up so much and the speed of wireless is sick. Couldn't we do something like a dongle that the air uses for those who really want that port? I mean how many Macbook Pro owners actually want to tether their machine to an Ethernet line anyway?
Some say get rid of the superdrive too, swap it for a killer vid card and or more battery. Maybe use the extra space for keeping things cooler thus using less power and extending battery life.
Are the mac airs really so diff than the pros, i mean to keep things cool and running properly is the CPU the wild card that allows the air to be so much thinner? Are there better technologies that allow the air to be much thinner than the macbook pros?
I wonder if it is possible for people to stick to the subject...there are many good ideas out there but seriously reading posts of people being accused of being fan boys or talking about totally unrelated topics in various threads frustrates me a bit but lets condense the really good ideas about adding or removing things and why to this thread and see what happens.;)

Bosman,

The ethernet is essential. Not everyone has a wireless network; what are you supposed to do when a wifi is unavailable?

Habitus :apple:

aberrero
Jan 25, 2010, 07:54 PM
They should remove the keyboard and replace it with a touch-sensitive wheel. I've been saying this for ages now.

chaos86
Jan 25, 2010, 08:11 PM
Lose the ExpressCard, give me 2 more USB ports, or a USB port and a firewire port.

Also, now that we're on sealed internal batteries, there's no battery door, and no need for the battery to be an aestetically pleasing shape. This means that it can take up a weird shaped section of the middle of the machine, leaving more of the sides open for ports.

aznguyen316
Jan 25, 2010, 08:14 PM
add in ATI 5800 series GPU, i5/i7, remove optical drive if it means GPU/CPU upgrades, 3/4 USB 3.0 ports, no firewire, SD card reader, leave ethernet port, vents.

FangBianMian
Jan 25, 2010, 08:30 PM
One thing's clear from all these MBP threads...

As hard work as it is - Apple need to offer far more choices to their consumers.

Bosman
Jan 25, 2010, 08:41 PM
Bosman,

The ethernet is essential. Not everyone has a wireless network; what are you supposed to do when a wifi is unavailable?

my answer

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=277569

or use it for
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278303
or
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278321
or
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=405356
and for usb3
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/09/buffalo-outs-usb-3-0-expresscard-adapter-we-see-a-trend-coming/

How can having an ethernet port over an express card ever balence out? The cards available for alternate media is vast. In my opinion there is way more value to an express card. If the express port were set up for the future it may even be possible for lightpeak but i make no claims on that statement because it no doubt is a diff animal but it would kinda future proof things at least for usb3 like most would like to see.

Bosman
Jan 25, 2010, 08:47 PM
Apple removing the disc drive...how in the world did apple even cross that bridge to remove a drive? How many people thought that was insane at first? It is all about having a paradigm shift in thinking about how to access data and load it. What other paradigm shifts are possible if we try imagining life without a physical port for the sake of multiple kinds of inter-connectivity? I am sure i am 5 yrs behind apple on that one. No doubt most are unless people start saying, "what if"?

So what if...

Bosman
Jan 25, 2010, 08:49 PM
They should remove the keyboard and replace it with a touch-sensitive wheel. I've been saying this for ages now.

its already been done and its called the macbook wheel!:D
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/92328?utm_source=embedded_video

EndlessMac
Jan 25, 2010, 09:14 PM
I think the issue you are missing is that if a lot of people still want it then Apple should keep it. The react to this thread alone shows people still want ethernet. I understand that you feel like you don't need it.

Just look what happen when Apple forced it's users to go glossy only on the MBP. Apple had to finally add a matte option once again because of the demand. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean others don't.

I like the ethernet port and forcing people to only do things your way is a good way to lose customers if we are the majority. I don't like carrying around adapters which is why I didn't use the Express Card that much when Apple notebooks had them. One of the benefits of a notebook is the mobility and the easy get up and go ability. Having to carry around extra stuff kind defeats that benefit. This is the way I like to use my MBP and I respect you have different needs but your needs isn't the same as everyone else.

Bosman
Jan 25, 2010, 09:23 PM
I think the issue you are missing is that if a lot of people still want it then Apple should keep it. The react to this thread alone shows people still want ethernet. I understand that you feel like you don't need it.

Just look what happen when Apple forced it's users to go glossy only on the MBP. Apple had to finally add a matte option once again because of the demand. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean others don't.

I like the ethernet port and forcing people to only do things your way is a good way to lose customers if we are the majority. I don't like carrying around adapters which is why I didn't use the Express Card that much when Apple notebooks had them. One of the benefits of a notebook is the mobility and the easy get up and go ability. Having to carry around extra stuff kind defeats that benefit. This is the way I like to use my MBP and I respect you have different needs but your needs isn't the same as everyone else.

Then having this conversation was worth while. Perhaps there is a way to having it both ways. Wasn't the Express card available on other 15 macbook pros in the past?

EndlessMac
Jan 25, 2010, 09:28 PM
Wasn't the Express card available on other 15 macbook pros in the past?
Yes it was and it's still available on the 17". It sounds like you are more concerned about having an Express Card than trying to get rid of the ethernet port. If that is true then that's a different discussion. There are people who are unhappy about the lost of the Express Card slot.

scottkifnw
Jan 25, 2010, 09:46 PM
MBA rev A. I would like more USB or FW 800 in addition.

I have traveled quite a bit in the past two years and only needed the Ethernet dongle in one God forsaken place in the Nevada Desert.

sek

Guy Mancuso
Jan 26, 2010, 05:43 AM
Yes it was and it's still available on the 17". It sounds like you are more concerned about having an Express Card than trying to get rid of the ethernet port. If that is true then that's a different discussion. There are people who are unhappy about the lost of the Express Card slot.

Exactly and reason i will have a very hard upgrading to ANY new MBP without it. For people that need external horsepower running a e-sata drive is the only real way to go FW 800 is just not fast enough. I run a E-sata express card that gives me the speed I need to have temp. image files to grab from or work from. Apple is going to lose Photographers and Graphic design professionals if they keep making these boxes for consumers and not all of us want a 17 inch MBP to do it. Frankly I will never use a internal optical drive again. I ripped mine out and actually today i am installing my second Crucial SSD drive. I had Intel SSD and have already replaced them with Crucials.
What we really need is Quad Core laptops with at least 8gb of ram and room for more if we need to. They need to stop removing important parts and add flexibility in the systems. I could care less about battery life , obviously many do but stop taking ports away. If anything we could use more USB and 2 Firewire 800 or better and actually add a e-sata port built in.

Professional users still run Macs and not everyone wants a MacPro. I can't travel around the globe with it. I also can't shoot tethered with my camera on location without a MBP. Rant off

ri0ku
Jan 26, 2010, 05:57 AM
Exactly and reason i will have a very hard upgrading to ANY new MBP without it. For people that need external horsepower running a e-sata drive is the only real way to go FW 800 is just not fast enough. I run a E-sata express card that gives me the speed I need to have temp. image files to grab from or work from. Apple is going to lose Photographers and Graphic design professionals if they keep making these boxes for consumers and not all of us want a 17 inch MBP to do it. Frankly I will never use a internal optical drive again. I ripped mine out and actually today i am installing my second Crucial SSD drive. I had Intel SSD and have already replaced them with Crucials.
What we really need is Quad Core laptops with at least 8gb of ram and room for more if we need to. They need to stop removing important parts and add flexibility in the systems. I could care less about battery life , obviously many do but stop taking ports away. If anything we could use more USB and 2 Firewire 800 or better and actually add a e-sata port built in.

Professional users still run Macs and not everyone wants a MacPro. I can't travel around the globe with it. I also can't shoot tethered with my camera on location without a MBP. Rant off

So you dont care about batttery life, one of the most crucial things to a portable computer? Well in true dragons den fashion "Im out"

Seriously battery life is way important on a portable.. I dont want to be lugging a charger around with me everywhere.

Guy Mancuso
Jan 26, 2010, 06:14 AM
It's the least of my issues. I know many care about it but speed and horsepower are much more important. I work a 40 mpx camera that produces 240mg files. I run a raw processing program that is dependent on cores and CPU, so obviously I need horsepower over anything else. Running hard core processing programs will burn a battery in no time anyway, so you are pretty much forced into AC operation. I know a balance must be struck between different users and totally understand that but let's also be realistic when are you not going to have power in a 7 hour span. Charger sorry you just have to man up on that one. It weighs what less than a pound. Also Apple can make several models as well on for more battery power and one for more intense users. They build them to order anyway why not make it with more options for certain things internally. Instead of the optical drive they could for example ad a second battery. Many ways to get around different users needs instead of building one breadbox for all.

maflynn
Jan 26, 2010, 06:20 AM
The OP seems has no idea at need for an ethernet port.

I'm able to connect my macs/pcs using a gigabit switch that is much faster then wireless.

In traveling and in business there is frequently only an ethernet port available. Getting rid of such a port would be asinine for apple. Its used much more then the OP thinks. Just because he has little to no need doesn't make it obsolete. quite the contrary I see it being used here in my company, my traveling and home. I'm not alone either.

dragonmantek
Jan 26, 2010, 06:52 AM
I completely agree. I think they should remove the keyboard and replace it with Braille.

vendettabass
Jan 26, 2010, 06:57 AM
lose the optical drive - the footprint of this is larger than another 2.5" drive so let's have 2 HDD's and a little more battery please :-).

maflynn
Jan 26, 2010, 06:59 AM
lose the optical drive - the footprint of this is larger than another 2.5" drive so let's have 2 HDD's and a little more battery please :-).

On the face of it, I agree, I'm concerned that at times I did need the optical drive. Buying another external component and lugging it around is not what I want to do either. I suspect if apple were to drop the optical drive they'd NOT replace it with another hard drive but make the case smaller, like the MBA.

vendettabass
Jan 26, 2010, 07:15 AM
On the face of it, I agree, I'm concerned that at times I did need the optical drive. Buying another external component and lugging it around is not what I want to do either. I suspect if apple were to drop the optical drive they'd NOT replace it with another hard drive but make the case smaller, like the MBA.

that'd be a shame :-(. Heck I'd settle for a 32GB 1.8" SSD + fatter battery, surely they could still slim it down a little after implementing those :-D

jonnysods
Jan 26, 2010, 07:26 AM
Lose the screen. It adds too much weight and thickness to the overall machine.

andylyon
Jan 26, 2010, 07:29 AM
One thing's clear from all these MBP threads...

As hard work as it is - Apple need to offer far more choices to their consumers.

Good point!

NeuralControl
Jan 26, 2010, 07:39 AM

Not in this revision. Until Apple starts distributing all their software via a means other than optical disks, this won't happen. Can you imagine trying to download Logic Pro or FCS?

Cali3350
Jan 26, 2010, 07:47 AM
We are many, many years from having no ethernet port. It is as essential as the screen itself and will not (and should not) be going anywhere anytime soon.

If we want to remove ports, its firewire. Its far too small a market for Apple to cater too if they really need a new port for something. Beyond that I would personally like to see the SD card slot removed and have them add a Express Card slot. That is less likely to occur, its just a personal wish.

On top of that the biggest thing I would like to see is a better Video Card - 5670 minimum for the 15' model. I expect fullt switchable graphics via the HM55 chipset with the on chip graphics the default offering ~6.5 hours battery life.

MykullMyerz
Jan 26, 2010, 08:14 AM
I want a Blu-ray drive! I'm adding to my collection all the time and it would be nice if I was able to watch some of my movies while on travel insted of my old DVDs. But, I doubt that will ever happen.

cluthz
Jan 26, 2010, 08:30 AM
Loosing the ethernet port would be a mistake.
I use my MBP hooked up thru gigabit ethernet at home, with 2TB network storage for time machine and other backup.
Moving several gb's over gigabit ethernet is really fast. If i'd have to move 20-30GB over wireless it would take ages, even the newest standards are at least only 10% of the speed you get over gigabit ethernet.

As for firewire, I already have two fw800 drives and two fw400 devices, I think Apple have to keep the fw port until there is a good replacement (light peak anyone?), since USB isn't even worth mentioning in terms of speed.

I still have the Santa Rosa MBP and when i use friends newer MBPs i realize how lackluster the connectivity is now! I love having both FW400, FW800, USB2 and ExpressCard :)

jshelton
Jan 26, 2010, 09:03 AM

FAIL

Guy Mancuso
Jan 26, 2010, 09:41 AM
The topic is 2010 Macbook Pros, what to add, what to remove?

Covers a lot of ground

asears08
Jan 26, 2010, 10:22 AM
Give me an i7, ATI 58xx GPU, display upgrade, and a blu-ray drive.

Opstech
Jan 26, 2010, 10:52 AM
I rather have HDMI than Ethernet

Bosman
Jan 26, 2010, 11:08 AM
I suspect we could implement software using sd cards and do without the disc drives. I know it is really cheap to manufacture discs and put software and movies on them but I'd pay $5 even $10 more to have a movie or a program on an sd card if it meant i could get rid of the disc drive. Maybe the air will get an sd port. Think of how much easier it would be to stock movies in an sd format and how much less it would cost to ship! The media form factor will get smaller and if sd cards were implemented Blue Ray may not be needed anymore. I am not trying to ruffle the feathers of those who own Blue Ray stuff but honestly do we really think using the same form factor as what we've used the last 20 years is a good idea anymore?
Personally as a photographer i don't have a use for an sd card port but if used for the above I embrace it wholeheartedly!

Xsiphos
Jan 26, 2010, 11:20 AM
its already been done and its called the macbook wheel!:D
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/92328?utm_source=embedded_video

rofl

Spandexman
Jan 26, 2010, 11:21 AM
I suspect we could implement software using sd cards and do without the disc drives. I know it is really cheap to manufacture discs and put software and movies on them but I'd pay $5 even $10 more to have a movie or a program on an sd card if it meant i could get rid of the disc drive. Maybe the air will get an sd port. Think of how much easier it would be to stock movies in an sd format and how much less it would cost to ship! The media form factor will get smaller and if sd cards were implemented Blue Ray may not be needed anymore. I am not trying to ruffle the feathers of those who own Blue Ray stuff but honestly do we really think using the same form factor as what we've used the last 20 years is a good idea anymore?
Personally as a photographer i don't have a use for an sd card port but if used for the above I embrace it wholeheartedly!

You'd pay $10 more for a film on SD card? As for using the same form factor as the last 20 years, the car, keyboard, bed, pen, mug, knife, Bicycle, sandwich seem to be doing OK, so i think i can put up with a disc for a while longer.

Habitus
Jan 26, 2010, 11:27 AM
my answer

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=277569

or use it for
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278303
or
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278321
or
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=405356
and for usb3
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/09/buffalo-outs-usb-3-0-expresscard-adapter-we-see-a-trend-coming/

How can having an ethernet port over an express card ever balence out? The cards available for alternate media is vast. In my opinion there is way more value to an express card. If the express port were set up for the future it may even be possible for lightpeak but i make no claims on that statement because it no doubt is a diff animal but it would kinda future proof things at least for usb3 like most would like to see.

While I agree about the express slot, I suggest removal of the SD card slot and bring back the express slot on the 15" and 17" and introduce it to the 13" MBP.

Bosman
Jan 26, 2010, 11:33 AM
You'd pay $10 more for a film on SD card? As for using the same form factor as the last 20 years, the car, keyboard, bed, pen, mug, knife, Bicycle, sandwich seem to be doing OK, so i think i can put up with a disc for a while longer.

Maybe we should bring the 8 track back too. Cassettes were great, why not? haha.

Bosman
Jan 26, 2010, 11:34 AM
While I agree about the express slot, I suggest removal of the SD card slot and bring back the express slot on the 15" and 17" and introduce it to the 13" MBP.

I'd go for that, sd can still be used with one.

marcopolo007uk
Jan 26, 2010, 11:41 AM
Ethernet port has to stay, loads of people use a cross over cable to connect to various routers for initial admin, also I used it daily on telecoms administration. MBP's are business tools also....

Spandexman
Jan 26, 2010, 11:55 AM
Maybe we should bring the 8 track back too. Cassettes were great, why not? haha.

You stating an obsolete technology (tapes) does not make a different technology (optical discs) obsolete. My point, which you seem to have missed, was that a technology or form factor being around for 20 years doesn't make it rubbish.

Xtreambar
Jan 26, 2010, 01:11 PM
A friend of mine is a Mac technician and he saw someone who removed his superdrive and installed a second hard drive. I'd rather just lose the superdrive in favor of a second or larger battery. It would add some more weight, but I'd love to have more battery life.

topcatmg1
Jan 26, 2010, 01:26 PM
Wow the name of this post should be changed to "2010 Macbook Pros, remove the ethernet or not??" :)

Seriously though, Ethernet HAS to stay in the PRO line, otherwise Apple will be limiting their audience.

I'd like to see HDMI for sure.

Blu-ray and USB3 are great ideas, but won't happen in this half of the year.

EDIT: Blu-ray is a contentious issue, probably discuss this bit more in 2011 :)

HawkEye40
Jan 26, 2010, 01:29 PM
Docking port.

keantan
Jan 26, 2010, 01:30 PM
I also wouldn't mind ditching the optical drive (my only complaint with retrofitting one is the gaping hole left in the side of the case where the optical drive slot).

My ideal solution:
- Ditch Optical Drive
- Use remaining space for high capacity HDD as well as expanded battery
- Change boot disc to an SSD.

- Ship programs/media/everything else via SD Card (I really like this idea).

I'm somewhat impartial about the SD/ExpressCard slot issue as I don't use an ExpressCard. You could restore SD functionality with an SD card reader, although I do like the idea of Macs getting eSATA (which is unlikely since in the eyes of Steve Jobs, the eSATA port is ugly, look at the back of all the Macs, an eSATA slot would look out of place).

Bosman
Jan 26, 2010, 01:42 PM
I just thought of The Matrix where neo gets his first taste of Jujitsu all from a little card about the size of an SD card. Pretty cool to think powerful programs on small medium like that. Isn't smaller the goal of all electronics?:D

coast1ja
Jan 26, 2010, 01:49 PM
really?... you all want more battery life? 7 hours isn't enough??? That's a full work day (if you take an hour for lunch... and don't eat over your MBP... it doesn't like crumbs). I don't even see this many people clamoring for the MacBook Air to have more battery life, and it's less than any other portable Mac.

When did seven hours become not enough? Do you remember the days when we were amazed that you could watch a full-length DVD movie on one charge???

ae3265
Jan 26, 2010, 01:56 PM

On the Pro level, hell yes we do!!! My MBP also runs VM's, including my Solaris jumpstart server that I use to install clients. Ethernet is a must for me.

It's also much better when I'm copying large files across the nework, like my 50+gb VM disk files to my backup location.

Other than that, I routinely use my wired connection when I'm stable in one place for long periods of time. Wired is still more stable and faster at 1gb speeds than wireless and under heavy usage.

There are lots of reasons to keep the wire for some people. And lack of it would force me to move to another platform. It's an absolute professional requirement for me.

murano
Jan 26, 2010, 01:59 PM
I can imagine Apple removing the EC/34 slot on the 17" sometime soon.

I'm hoping, but don't count on it, on a pretty much this-for-that upgrade:
USB2 -> USB3
FW800 -> FW3200
Superdrive - Hyperdrive? (Blu-ray)
10/100/1000BT Ethernet -> 10Gigibit Ethernet
SDHC reader -> SDXC reader
better CPU
better GPU
more RAM
bigger HDD
higher screen res: 1680x1050 on the 15", 1440x900 on the 13"
etc.

And HDMI. I knwo Apple's Mini DVI is more advanced than HDMI, but its always nice to have one cable with both sound and video.

Winters
Jan 26, 2010, 02:00 PM
really?... you all want more battery life? 7 hours isn't enough??? That's a full work day (if you take an hour for lunch... and don't eat over your MBP... it doesn't like crumbs). I don't even see this many people clamoring for the MacBook Air to have more battery life, and it's less than any other portable Mac.

When did seven hours become not enough? Do you remember the days when we were amazed that you could watch a full-length DVD movie on one charge???

What's wrong with better battery life? Is it that fun to charge you laptop?
I'd rather not have to worry about charging the laptop so often. I can't wait until the day we won't have to charge laptops for a week or two :)
Also better battery life often means longer battery lifetime.

John Kotches
Jan 26, 2010, 02:19 PM
And HDMI. I knwo Apple's Mini DVI is more advanced than HDMI, but its always nice to have one cable with both sound and video.

Mini-Display Port on current MBP line is technically capable of sending audio. I believe that it is the implementation of the Mini-Display Port --> HDMI adapters that's lacking.

Cheers,

reallynotnick
Jan 26, 2010, 08:15 PM
As with everyone, Ethernet has to stay.

I say they should remove the optical drive and instead include an optical drive (preferably Blu-Ray but we know that won't happen).
Then on the right side you have so much more space for ports, such as an e-SATA, HDMI, 3rd and maybe fourth USB, express card slot and a light peak port or upgrade to USB 3.0.
Then with whatever space you have left in the case use for a more powerful CPU and GPU along with a bigger battery.

Oh and they should adopt some sort of standard for wireless display transmission because as much as I like ports I hate cables.

adam75south
Feb 3, 2010, 10:04 AM
keep ethernet. keep the superdrive.

lose sd and firewire

add usb/esata combo port and an hdmi port

bring back expresscard for 15".

MacModMachine
Feb 3, 2010, 10:26 AM
ill have to agree with the bossman this time....

ethernet does not need to be on the system anymore, a usb 3.0 dongle would do for gigabit or 10gb.

i would rather 3 usb 3.0 ports and scrap the ethernet but include the dongle.

but ethernet can also be a necessity in some cases, but i have a hard time finding any place here in canada without wireless, everyplace up here has it....our wendys , tim hortons , burger king , airports , truck stops.

all wireless.