PDA

View Full Version : 12" rev C pbook first impressions

ilsie
Aug 20, 2004, 04:29 PM
well, i finally took the plunge and got myself one of these babies- i'm mainly a pc user, but i am no stranger to the mac world- i owned a 600 dual ibook for a long time, which i sold about half a year ago to buy a more updated ibook. but i was so back and forth between the ibook and the pbook that i eventually just threw my hands up and decided not to get either.

then i realized that my friend is a college student, and that he was getting an ipod, and with the cram and jam deal... well... too hard to resist.

i have to say though, i'm glad i got the powerbook! it is so awesome. i haven't had any of the case warping issues, and so far panther (i was always a jaguar user with my ibook) is rock solid. the pbook does get pretty freakin warm though, with or without the power cable plugged in, but not so much that it bothers me.

the battery life so far has been about 3-3.5 on the average, but i've been putting it through the gauntlet- burning cd's, lots of file transfers, photoshop, garage band, etc.

ipod, airport extreme, bluetooth to my logitech mx900 & nokia 6820 all connected with no problems. safari has improved by leaps and bounds since i last used it. expose and garage band just blow my mind.

the only thing i dont like about it other than the heat issue is the fact that i dont want to take it anywhere for fear of mussing it up. i used to take my ibook everywhere, toss it around, use it as a doorstop, etc.

the end

dav
Aug 20, 2004, 06:30 PM
the only thing i dont like about it other than the heat issue is the fact that i dont want to take it anywhere for fear of mussing it up. i used to take my ibook everywhere, toss it around, use it as a doorstop, etc.

Ahh, the reason I am purchasing an iBook. I like the look of the iBook more personally.

Anyway congratulations
:rolleyes:

tabascoishot
Aug 20, 2004, 11:07 PM
Right on dude, way to go. I purchased mine on 8/17 after doing some long thinking between the ibook and the pb.

Being a student made the decision a little easier for me. The price difference is substantial, but definitely will be worth it in the long run, with the tiger (10.4) release and all.

Best bang for the buck, in my opinion. Built in Airport Ex, bluetooth, bigger hard drive than the ibook, better graphics card, brighter screen too.

And it's not like a fabrege egg or anything - it's aircraft-grade aluminum! If it works at 35k feet, I think it'll handle most anything ;-)

Ok I'm out - much love to my fellow mac users (esp the switchers)

KevRC4130
Aug 20, 2004, 11:19 PM
And it's not like a fabrege egg or anything - it's aircraft-grade aluminum! If it works at 35k feet, I think it'll handle most anything

Ok I'm out - much love to my fellow mac users (esp the switchers)

I'm a 12" Rev. C Powerbook user too, I love it! I have basically the same complaints: heat. I get very hot when I use my Powerbook, it's as if I'm having hotflashes! Great computer though.

About the 'aircraft grade' aluminum, who knows what 'aircraft grade' actually means. If they use a certain kind of toilet paper in the plane bathroom, then is it 'aircraft grade' toilet paper? Does that make it clean your butt any better?

;)

csubear
Aug 20, 2004, 11:24 PM
12" rev C. I love it. Monitor spanning is great. And I love using it with my BT mouse and keyboard.

If I keep the speed on Auto it doesn't get very hot at all.

KevRC4130
Aug 20, 2004, 11:34 PM
12" rev C. I love it. Monitor spanning is great. And I love using it with my BT mouse and keyboard.

If I keep the speed on Auto it doesn't get very hot at all.

Wow, thanks! That didn't even occur to me. I had it set on Maximum. Lets see if having it on Auto keeps it cool. :rolleyes:

ilsie
Aug 23, 2004, 01:36 PM
welp, looks like I spoke too soon. I was transferring some files off of a CD onto the pbook, and it froze while doing the transfer. I couldnt force quit, couldnt cancel the copy, so I ended up powering off the pbook. BAD IDEA. When I tried to reboot, nothing. Eventually, (after putting it in target disk mode and fscking the hard drive from an iBook) I figured out the the disk drive was physically shot. Couldnt reformat, couldnt even repartition. So, after two days, my poor powerbook is dead. Good thing there's an apple store here. The genius bar guys said they'd do a straight up exchange for a new one.

Granted, I shouldnt have powered off the machine during a HD write, but that should in no way have caused the hard drive to physically be damaged. Weird.

LeeTom
Aug 23, 2004, 01:57 PM
hey, at least it happened right now so you can just swap it out for a brand new one.
That happened to me with my Cinema Display, I brought it home, it worked, but the power light kept flashing, indicating some part was failing. They swapped it out right there.

Lee Tom

Mord
Aug 23, 2004, 07:32 PM
About the 'aircraft grade' aluminum, who knows what 'aircraft grade' actually means. If they use a certain kind of toilet paper in the plane bathroom, then is it 'aircraft grade' toilet paper? Does that make it clean your butt any better?

;)

it means it is fatigue resistant so it dosen't get weak over time because of the expanding and contracting from the heat