PDA

View Full Version : Google Releases Browser-Based Google Voice Web App for iPhone

MacRumors
Jan 26, 2010, 09:00 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/01/26/google-releases-browser-based-google-voice-web-app-for-iphone/)

Reuters reports (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60P31Y20100126) that Google has released a new browser-based web app version of Google Voice, offering iPhone users access to a broader array of features than had previously been available through the service's basic mobile interface.Google already had a version of Google Voice available through mobile Web browsers.

But Google described the new version of Google Voice as a "Web app," noting that it is much more interactive than the previous browser-based version of the service, with the ability to listen to voice mails directly from within the browser and to dial phone numbers on an interactive on-screen keypad.

Google said the new version of Google Voice is designed for iPhone 3.0 and higher and Palm Inc Web OS smartphones.Apple and Google have offered differing views (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/18/google-claims-that-apple-did-reject-google-voice-iphone-application/) of whether Apple rejected Google's native Google Voice application for the iPhone, with Apple claiming that it was merely continuing to study the application for inclusion in its App Store. According to today's report, however, Apple has yet to provide any further status updates to Google on the native application's fate.

Article Link: Google Releases Browser-Based Google Voice Web App for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/01/26/google-releases-browser-based-google-voice-web-app-for-iphone/)

websyndicate
Jan 26, 2010, 09:05 AM
Its not released yet sometime today it will be

dwd3885
Jan 26, 2010, 09:09 AM
ha. It's a sad excuse of an actual Google Voice app that Apple rejected. Google should just remove everything off of the iPhone for competition sake.

justanothernerd
Jan 26, 2010, 09:16 AM
ha. It's a sad excuse of an actual Google Voice app that Apple rejected. Google should just remove everything off of the iPhone for competition sake.

I'm not sure that's smart for them; I'm sure they still make a lot of money with other Google services on the iPhone.

MacQuest
Jan 26, 2010, 09:17 AM
The plot thickens... :eek: ... ??? :confused:

;)

dwd3885
Jan 26, 2010, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure that's smart for them; I'm sure they still make a lot of money with other Google services on the iPhone.

well they want to pull out of China, which isn't smart business decision either. It's very stupid. So they don't make every decision like a business decision.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 26, 2010, 09:19 AM
I still find it rather sad that Google had to resort to that level. Apple had a stick up it rear and was making up BS excuse for turning it down. It has already been shown that AT&T really does not care about Google voice. They still get the minute charges fom people using it. Hell they get more minute charges from GV because calls route threw GV loses free M2M.

I wonder if Apple will try to shut down this way next. Still it is rather said that it had to go this way. If Apple had approved GV it would could of been really great with push notifications and everything.

balamw
Jan 26, 2010, 09:24 AM
Its not released yet sometime today it will be

Works for me.

B

gdlcjr
Jan 26, 2010, 09:37 AM
Hey Guys Does this means that the "VoiceCentral Black Swan" will just be the same as the GV new web app?

cdd543
Jan 26, 2010, 09:43 AM
Hmm..tries to dial a different number than i entered. sms works fine.

gdlcjr
Jan 26, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hmm..tries to dial a different number than i entered. sms works fine.

I have not tried it yet, because I have to re-register my number and my company blocks the google voice. Do you need to use an ear phone for the call or the voice goes thru the earpiece?

Becordial
Jan 26, 2010, 09:53 AM
Does this just mean a web-app/web-page so it's not subject to App store approval and is just a bookmark of a GV page? If so, is this a bit of a 'in yo face, Apple" from Google?

ksmith80209
Jan 26, 2010, 09:58 AM
It's live now.

voice.google.com

squirrellydw
Jan 26, 2010, 09:59 AM
They still get the minute charges fom people using it. Hell they get more minute charges from GV because calls route threw GV loses free M2M

you are incorrect on this, if you have it setup correctly you don't lose anything. I use it on my Verizon Droid Eris and you call my Verizon number and then it forwards it to Google Voice, forwarding is free. I use no minutes and anyone that calls me doesn't lose minutes.

It is great and when Verizon gets the iPhone I will get it.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 26, 2010, 10:01 AM
you are incorrect on this, if you have it setup correctly you don't lose anything. I use it on my Verizon Droid Eris and you call my Verizon number and then it forwards it to Google Voice, forwarding is free. I use no minutes and anyone that calls me doesn't lose minutes.

Well that only works if you have a high enough of a plan. (Aka one that has either "A lisst" or my favs). Most people do not have that high of a plan and hell at that point it is just more useless minutes.

Lets face it most of us just have tons of unused minutes every month.

squirrellydw
Jan 26, 2010, 10:04 AM
no you don't, forwarding is free on almost all plans, at least with Verizon. My plan is about 3 to 4 years old. I don't have a fav list. look up your plan I bet you have it

slu
Jan 26, 2010, 10:23 AM
Hey Guys Does this means that the "VoiceCentral Black Swan" will just be the same as the GV new web app?

I don't see what VoiceCentral Black Swan has to do with this at all. VoiceCentral is developed by a 3rd party and uses Google's APIs. I signed up for the Black Swan beta, but have not yet been invited to try it out.

As for the new Google Web App, I am trying it out right now and it is much nicer than the old one. And thus far I like it better than the GV Mobile app I had when my iPhone was jailbroken. I am glad they released this. The integration with my Google contacts is excellent as is the UI for Voicemails and SMS. And being able to control the major Google Voice settings from the phone is nice as well. If you have Google Voice, I'd recommend trying it out.

slu
Jan 26, 2010, 10:30 AM

This makes no sense to me. The whole point of Google Voice is to give people one number than can ring the many phones to which you may have access. To have people call your cell phone number and forward it to Google Voice doesn't make a lot of sense to me. They call your cell, are forwarded to your Google Voice Number, then forwarded back to your cell? I don't know why you would go through the trouble unless you prefer voicemail on Google Voice much more than on your phone.

gdlcjr
Jan 26, 2010, 10:32 AM
I don't see what VoiceCentral Black Swan has to do with this at all. VoiceCentral is developed by a 3rd party and uses Google's APIs. I signed up for the Black Swan beta, but have not yet been invited to try it out.

As for the new Google Web App, I am trying it out right now and it is much nicer than the old one. And thus far I like it better than the GV Mobile app I had when my iPhone was jailbroken. I am glad they released this. The integration with my Google contacts is excellent as is the UI for Voicemails and SMS. And being able to control the major Google Voice settings from the phone is nice as well. If you have Google Voice, I'd recommend trying it out.

My question was will they have just the same functionality?

rwilliams
Jan 26, 2010, 10:34 AM
I have more minutes than I ever use each months, along with unlimited texting and visual voicemail, so I really fail to see how Google Voice would be of any use to me. And believe me, I've tried hard to find a compelling reason to use it.

gdlcjr
Jan 26, 2010, 10:48 AM
I have more minutes than I ever use each months, along with unlimited texting and visual voicemail, so I really fail to see how Google Voice would be of any use to me. And believe me, I've tried hard to find a compelling reason to use it.

You don't have any reason to use it because you have money.

For me who wants to save these are the reason.
a. I have free sms (number one and the only reason) with textnow it can be implemented as the regular sms.

Minor reasons
a. You can only give one number to any of your contact. GV will call your cell, home number at the same time.

countrydweller
Jan 26, 2010, 10:50 AM

Our main use is using it when we sign up for something and they want a phone #, later we can block it using google voice if needed.

xIGmanIx
Jan 26, 2010, 10:52 AM
That is if your part of the great 48 :mad: Us OCONUS folks don't get the full functionality.

Our main use is using it when we sign up for something and they want a phone #, later we can block it using google voice if needed.

curly14
Jan 26, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'm i missing the boat on this one...lol how is it listed in the app store already have the Google moble app (free)

Rodimus Prime
Jan 26, 2010, 10:56 AM

Well here are some reasons have one.

It gives people a local number to get a hold of me. My cell number is a long distance number but the GV number is local.

1. It allows you to give 1 number for multiple phones. So with just one number the cell, home and work phone can ring.

2. Provides FREE Voice to text transcribing. Not the best in the world but does allow you to get an idea of how important the message is.

3. Emails the voice mail to where ever you want.

Something my dad uses it for is he teaches part time at a local community college. He gives his google voice number to his students. That way it allows him to screen calls a lot easier from students. He will answer his cell if it is from work or family member calling him because we call his cell number directly. A student has to go threw GV and if he busy with family or something else he will let it go to Voice mail. Very effect way of screening plus it keeps the student voice mail separate from personal/work ones.

I know others might use it for a work number forward to a personal line and after hours have the number go straight to voice mail. Basicly it is great for screening calls.

The unlimited minutes part of it people seem to think of is really only a minor issue at most and to get to the point were unlimited minute would come play a part you have to have a pretty high plan to begin with. The lower 2 or 3 plans do not even have access to my favs.

swindmill
Jan 26, 2010, 10:58 AM
I get a page that says "Coming Soon: Google Voice..." when I go to voice.google.com

Rodimus Prime
Jan 26, 2010, 10:58 AM
I'm i missing the boat on this one...lol how is it listed in the app store already have the Google moble app (free)

Google Mobile (app) is not the Google voice app.

Google mobile is pretty much just a search engine app.

JeffMonty
Jan 26, 2010, 11:12 AM
Anyone else having issues with trying to dial a number through Google Voice?

I've tried entering in a few phone numbers and it shows a popup asking me if I want to call 609-878-0466, which isn't any of the numbers I tried to dial

It looks like that is the access number for voicemail in my area if you're not using a Google Voice number (which I am). Other people seem to be having issues as well with other devices http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=104d39a0217b5225&hl=en

EDIT: Dialing that number works fine and it connects the original number, it just shows up in your recent calls list as that number (rather than the original number that you tried to dial.

MV ROB
Jan 26, 2010, 11:27 AM

In their present build....they are night and day. I am using Black Swan and it is VERY nice, comparable to GV mobile in Cydia. GV Mobile was one of the reasons I even jailbroke, the other being 3G unrestrictor. The google voice web app is very basic but would serve the purpose for those that arent willing to jailbreak or for some reason dont or cant use Black Swan.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 26, 2010, 11:37 AM
Anyone else having issues with trying to dial a number through Google Voice?

I've tried entering in a few phone numbers and it shows a popup asking me if I want to call 609-878-0466, which isn't any of the numbers I tried to dial

It looks like that is the access number for voicemail in my area if you're not using a Google Voice number (which I am). Other people seem to be having issues as well with other devices http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=104d39a0217b5225&hl=en

EDIT: Dialing that number works fine and it connects the original number, it just shows up in your recent calls list as that number (rather than the original number that you tried to dial.

Well it has to work that way to get the caller ID to appear right on the other end. The call has to come from the GV number so how this is done is your phone calls Google Voice. GV service dials the number you want to connect with and then connects the two numbers and steps out.

The caller ID on the other end of the line appears as your GV numbers. Your phone out going calls yes is going to be google but if you go into your GV call log it will be correct.
The only problem people might run into is the GV app can not directly access your contacts off your phone. This is an easy problem to solve by using Gmail exchange server and have your contact upload to google or on other phone uses google sync. This puts all your contacts on Google servers and keeps them sync up so you can access them from either side.

squirrellydw
Jan 26, 2010, 11:41 AM
This makes no sense to me. The whole point of Google Voice is to give people one number than can ring the many phones to which you may have access. To have people call your cell phone number and forward it to Google Voice doesn't make a lot of sense to me. They call your cell, are forwarded to your Google Voice Number, then forwarded back to your cell? I don't know why you would go through the trouble unless you prefer voicemail on Google Voice much more than on your phone.

you just don't understand how it works and what it can do. I use it mainly for voicemail, you call my cell I don't answer and you get forward to GV (you don't even know it is being forwarded). I then can read or listen to the message and never have to call my voicemail. Verizon charges for the visual voicemail, GV is free. It has a lot of other benefits also

Rodimus Prime
Jan 26, 2010, 11:49 AM
you just don't understand how it works and what it can do. I use it mainly for voicemail, you call my cell I don't answer and you get forward to GV (you don't even know it is being forwarded). I then can read or listen to the message and never have to call my voicemail. Verizon charges for the visual voicemail, GV is free. It has a lot of other benefits also

I like that feature as well. Only thing keeping me from doing it is there is no "push" notification that you have a voice mail like it is with your carrier.

yes you get a txt message but there is no icon telling you that you have a voice mail. On my blackberry it would take while for a notification icon to pop up telling me that.

I played with it for a while but for some reason just could not give up the voice mail icon. Plus I would have to do some other fun setting changes to tell my phone to call voice mail. Not that it is a big deal. Most just old habits die hard. I am looking forward and hoping AT&T will allow Visual voice mail on the curve 8900 when they release OS 5.0

justanothernerd
Jan 26, 2010, 12:09 PM
well they want to pull out of China, which isn't smart business decision either. It's very stupid. So they don't make every decision like a business decision.

I agree, but I think it's a different situation for Google. With regards to China, there were ethical concerns, but with Apple, no such concerns exist. With the reports that Google was being hacked by Chinese government officials, so for them to be in a country with hostile leadership could be argued as being a stupid business decision. In addition, companies have a social contract with their customers, and since Google likes to regard itself as being a good corporate citizen, leaving China helps its image, which is also, a good business decision.

I think what it ultimately comes down to for Google is weighing the perceived costs of ethical concerns and dealing with a hostile government to the benefits of being in the largest market in the world. In addition, they aren't the major search engine in China, so there is the possibility that it isn't even that profitable for them to be there in the first place. However, this all doesn't matter anyway because Google is still in China and they're still trying to work with the government (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35064319/ns/business-world_business/).

slu
Jan 26, 2010, 12:26 PM

I use Google Voice, so I understand perfectly what it can do. Like I said, you basically just use it to replace your Verizon voicemail, which is fine if that is how you realize the most benefit from the service. I was not aware Verizon charges for visual voicemail.

akm3
Jan 26, 2010, 12:41 PM
This webapp isn't quite as nice as GV Mobile, but with this and and if iPhone 4 has multitasking like 'backgrounder', I will have lost my last reason to jailbreak, and will stop doing so.

squirrellydw
Jan 26, 2010, 12:47 PM
I like that feature as well. Only thing keeping me from doing it is there is no "push" notification that you have a voice mail like it is with your carrier.

yes you get a txt message but there is no icon telling you that you have a voice mail. On my blackberry it would take while for a notification icon to pop up telling me that.

I played with it for a while but for some reason just could not give up the voice mail icon. Plus I would have to do some other fun setting changes to tell my phone to call voice mail. Not that it is a big deal. Most just old habits die hard. I am looking forward and hoping AT&T will allow Visual voice mail on the curve 8900 when they release OS 5.0

not sure about other phones but with the GV app on the Droid Eris I get a icon on my phone telling me I have VM. Also like you said you also receive a text or email if you want.

rhett7660
Jan 26, 2010, 12:49 PM
Interesting can't wait to try this out.....

gdlcjr
Jan 26, 2010, 01:07 PM
Not sure if I was dreaming. This morning, when I clicked my GV link in the main screen it open the safari web app. When I close the safari and clicked the link again, it open another safari screen. So at this time I have two open GV web apps.

Now, when I click the GV link on the main screen, if you already open a safari GV web app, it will used it again and you will not have many GV opened in safari.

Edit: Also my link that I created before, it has now a nice icon.

clancemasterj
Jan 26, 2010, 01:14 PM
Is there anyway to make the web app run fullscreen? (without the safari ui)

Rodimus Prime
Jan 26, 2010, 01:55 PM
not sure about other phones but with the GV app on the Droid Eris I get a icon on my phone telling me I have VM. Also like you said you also receive a text or email if you want.

The question is how long after you get a Voice mail does the app tell you. when I tested it on the blackberry it took a little time instead of being almost instant like it is SMS/ carrier Voice mail.

bozzykid
Jan 26, 2010, 03:27 PM

Google has to add a tag in the header to do this (it tells the iPhone to open it as a web app). I'm not sure why they didn't do this though.

dcranston
Jan 26, 2010, 03:32 PM
So, I'm confused. I used the old Google Voice mobile web page, which worked fine: I'd enter a phone number, it would call my phone, and then connect me to the number I entered for cheap international calling and so that my phone number appears as my GV number to callers.

However, in this new app, when I dial a phone number, it just pops up a standard iPhone dialog, quits safari, and dials the number in the phone app. How is this any better that just calling using the iPhone call app? It doesn't let me take advantage of any of the advantages the old web app used to (or doing it from my computer does.) Why would they not follow the same model??

bozzykid
Jan 26, 2010, 03:36 PM
So, I'm confused. I used the old Google Voice mobile web page, which worked fine: I'd enter a phone number, it would call my phone, and then connect me to the number I entered for cheap international calling and so that my phone number appears as my GV number to callers.

However, in this new app, when I dial a phone number, it just pops up a standard iPhone dialog, quits safari, and dials the number in the phone app. How is this any better that just calling using the iPhone call app? It doesn't let me take advantage of any of the advantages the old web app used to (or doing it from my computer does.) Why would they not follow the same model??

The new model is much more direct. When you call out to the GV number, it instantly picks up and forwards you to the destination number and the user on the other end sees your GV number.

dcranston
Jan 26, 2010, 03:40 PM

Yep, there's a bookmarklet here that lets any app run in full screen web-app mode:

http://www.thingsthemselves.com/

dcranston
Jan 26, 2010, 03:42 PM
The new model is much more direct. When you call out to the GV number, it instantly picks up and forwards you to the destination number and the user on the other end sees your GV number.

Oh, I see. Unfortunately, this still removes one of the most useful features of GV for me, which is that I have no cell phone reception at work and use a SIP client to receive incoming phone calls for free (but cannot make outgoing phone calls for free.) It also prevents what I do when I travel to Europe, which is to receive incoming phone calls (free) from Google and am able to call people in the U.S. for free...

I wonder if there's a way to use the old GV web app?

ChazUK
Jan 26, 2010, 03:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERD79) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I wonder how Apple and the networks (especially at&t) will feel about this?

I take it there is no way apple or at&t can block it, is there?

Stella
Jan 26, 2010, 04:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERD79) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

If using AT&T mobile internet - AT&T could certainly block it - there's not much AT&T could do if using WIFI.

Apple could block the URL in a future iPhone firmware..

But why? Both would get a large backlash for doing so... and raise the eyebrows of regulators....

ChazUK
Jan 26, 2010, 04:08 PM

If using AT&T mobile internet - AT&T could certainly block it - there's not much AT&T could do if using WIFI.

Apple could block the URL in a future iPhone firmware..

But why? Both would get a large backlash for doing so... and raise the eyebrows of regulators....

The reason I asked was because during time the Google voice app was rejected, there were some accusations that at&t were involved (I have no idea if this was ever proven but I remember at&t denying it)
The 2nd reason was because at5t stand to make nothing from Google voice and they could ultimately lose money from it.

It doesn't really concern me living in the UK but I do find the whole Google voice interesting. Perhaps one day we'll get to sample it.

outphase
Jan 26, 2010, 04:09 PM
Yep, there's a bookmarklet here that lets any app run in full screen web-app mode:

http://www.thingsthemselves.com/

You are my hero!

leons
Jan 26, 2010, 04:10 PM
Is there any way to make this App dial Skype Out from my Iphone?

bozzykid
Jan 26, 2010, 04:22 PM
It also prevents what I do when I travel to Europe, which is to receive incoming phone calls (free) from Google and am able to call people in the U.S. for free...

How would this app prevent that? I don't see why you would use the app for incoming calls.

dcranston
Jan 26, 2010, 04:29 PM
How would this app prevent that? I don't see why you would use the app for incoming calls.

So Google Voice forwards incoming calls to a number that you provide. There's a great service called Gizmo5 that lets you have a virtual number that can receive incoming calls over IP, which can then be received by a variety of SIP clients that exist for the iPhone. What's great about this is that, while Gizmo requires you to pay per minute outgoing calls, it can receive free incoming calls. Since this is also done over IP, you can receive these calls from anywhere in the world, therefore allowing you to link your Google Voice to your Gizmo account, and receive incoming phone calls for free. (Or just over WiFi, should you not have cell reception, like my situation at work.)

The old web app would call you and then connect you to the "outgoing" number, which would allow me to receive the call as an incoming call, not an outgoing call, therefore avoiding using minutes when placing outgoing calls. Very nice. This new system forces me to continue to use my own cell phone minutes when making phone calls, and it prevents me from using Google Voice while at work where I have no cell phone reception. Luckily, it still works by placing calls via the website on the computer, but it's unfortunate this can't be accomplished via MobileSafari now.

arkmannj
Jan 26, 2010, 07:56 PM
I'm liking it, but I wish Apple would allow the Google Voice App be in the App store.

Maybe Google could release the source, then those with XCode+Iphone Dev kit installed could at-least compile it and run it on the phone, but I don't think it would allow for push notifications.

kugino
Jan 26, 2010, 10:57 PM
i've been enjoying it so far. was really bummed after shelling out $3 or $4 for that GV app only to see apple block it. i can't believe they're not forced to pay people back for that.

i really like the "Top Contacts" feature...and the live search for contacts. give me push SMS updates and it's all i need...but then again, can push updates be done on web apps?

Rodimus Prime
Jan 26, 2010, 11:53 PM
i've been enjoying it so far. was really bummed after shelling out $3 or $4 for that GV app only to see apple block it. i can't believe they're not forced to pay people back for that.

i really like the "Top Contacts" feature...and the live search for contacts. give me push SMS updates and it's all i need...but then again, can push updates be done on web apps?

I though GV app was free. Google never charged for it on the Blackberry. It was always a free download there. Google other apps for the iPhone are free.

Also apple never approved the GV app for the iPhone so you got ripped off by someones else.

kugino
Jan 27, 2010, 12:56 AM
I though GV app was free. Google never charged for it on the Blackberry. It was always a free download there. Google other apps for the iPhone are free.

Also apple never approved the GV app for the iPhone so you got ripped off by someones else.

wrong. there were 2 original google voice apps that were initially approved by apple (read the story of these apps and apple's beef with google). the one i bought was called GV Mobile, which had a free and premium version. worked quite well...until apple pulled the plug. in fact, i still have GV Mobile in my apps on itunes, but it doesn't work anymore...i can load it onto my phone, but it doesn't work.

the way i look at it, i was ripped off by apple. they approved it initially, i (and many others) paid for it, and then apple blocked it. apple should have refunded all of us, IMO.

ViViDboarder
Jan 27, 2010, 08:03 AM
wrong. there were 2 original google voice apps that were initially approved by apple (read the story of these apps and apple's beef with google). the one i bought was called GV Mobile, which had a free and premium version. worked quite well...until apple pulled the plug. in fact, i still have GV Mobile in my apps on itunes, but it doesn't work anymore...i can load it onto my phone, but it doesn't work.

the way i look at it, i was ripped off by apple. they approved it initially, i (and many others) paid for it, and then apple blocked it. apple should have refunded all of us, IMO.

Just a little tidbit you may find useful... GV Mobile dev released GV Mobile on jailbroken iPhones for free after Apple removed it. Also, GV Mobile+ is now out for jailbroken phones with a few extra features.

Also, if you're looking for a way to get Google Voice SMS pushed to your phone, you can do what I'm doing! Download the Free or Paid version of TextNow. You can set that up with a custom email address like myName@textnow.me. Then on Google Voice you add that to your email addresses. It'll text you a confirmation with a link you can't click. Copy the entire message and paste it into notes so you can clip out the portion with the link. So now copy the link and then paste it into Safari and go there and you'll confirm the new email address. Now you can go into Google Voice settings and set your SMS Forwarding to your TextNow email address and turn off forwarding to your mobile phone. It works perfectly. They look just like text messages and push right to your phone. You get badges and all. The only downside is you can't send initial messages to others using your Google Voice number. So you have to use the Web App to start your convo but then after that you'll be able to respond easily with TextNow.

Hope that helps for now until Apple decides to suck it up and let GV into the app store again, or until we all decide to surrender to Google. ;)

outphase
Jan 27, 2010, 11:03 AM
apple should have refunded all of us, IMO.

Apple did pay back some refunds when requested by some people. The problem with that is they refunded 100% of the money from Sean Kovacs's pocket when only giving him 70% of the purchase price in the first place.

kugino
Jan 27, 2010, 11:35 AM
Just a little tidbit you may find useful... GV Mobile dev released GV Mobile on jailbroken iPhones for free after Apple removed it. Also, GV Mobile+ is now out for jailbroken phones with a few extra features.

Also, if you're looking for a way to get Google Voice SMS pushed to your phone, you can do what I'm doing! Download the Free or Paid version of TextNow. You can set that up with a custom email address like myName@textnow.me. Then on Google Voice you add that to your email addresses. It'll text you a confirmation with a link you can't click. Copy the entire message and paste it into notes so you can clip out the portion with the link. So now copy the link and then paste it into Safari and go there and you'll confirm the new email address. Now you can go into Google Voice settings and set your SMS Forwarding to your TextNow email address and turn off forwarding to your mobile phone. It works perfectly. They look just like text messages and push right to your phone. You get badges and all. The only downside is you can't send initial messages to others using your Google Voice number. So you have to use the Web App to start your convo but then after that you'll be able to respond easily with TextNow.

Hope that helps for now until Apple decides to suck it up and let GV into the app store again, or until we all decide to surrender to Google. ;)
yeah, i know that you can get GV mobile on jailbroken phones, but that's not my cup o'tea. thanks for the textnow tip. i'll check it out...or at least let a friend know who doesn't have sms in her plan at the moment and was looking ot use GV for her text needs.

kugino
Jan 27, 2010, 11:37 AM
Apple did pay back some refunds when requested by some people. The problem with that is they refunded 100% of the money from Sean Kovacs's pocket when only giving him 70% of the purchase price in the first place.

oh, i didn't know apple refunded. not worth the couple dollars...they should have done it automatically. yeah, i felt bad for sean...he was really nice to talk to when he was developing the app.

ericisback
Jan 27, 2010, 02:11 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the GV web app does not retrieve the telephone numbers of all of the contacts in the gmail contact list. All of my emails are there, but, even though the phone numbers are in the gmail contacts, it won't pull up the phone number in the search - only the email address?!?

I just doubled checked the contacts in gmail, to make sure the info was still there - it was.

katangputz
Feb 23, 2010, 01:43 AM
Google wanted to launch a Voice app for iPhone since last year, but Apple didn’t approve the application.The new web Voice app for iPhone and WebOS can be accessed at word wide via your smartphone’s web browser.

Oskee2001
Feb 25, 2010, 03:05 PM
I have yet to find any kind of regular, every day situation where google voice is useful.

arkmannj
Feb 25, 2010, 03:25 PM
I have yet to find any kind of regular, every day situation where google voice is useful.

if/when the iPhone app comes back I would.

but for now I use the texting feature a lot through the web interface to save on texting costs.

I also like that I can forward my work phone to my Gvoice number and have it ring multiple phones. This is very handy, especially for on-call weekends. or automated server status messages, etc...