Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sockeatingdryer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2004
Athens, GA, USA
I've been pretty adept with MacOS, particularly during Classic and since 2001, OS X... but lately I've been getting curious with X11 and UNIX.
However, I'd love to run some Linux apps (A Tale in the Desert is a great-sounding game) on OS X. Any tools? XDarwin seems like it only runs UNIX stuff, and it looks more difficult than my experience now. What can do it the best? I have Fink, but it's still useless to me.
Thanks! :)

aptmunich

macrumors member
May 29, 2004
Well, i'm not sure about running linux apps in osx, but I do know there are linux versions that run on the ppc, so you could just install a version of linux alongside your osx..

That way you can have the 2 best os's running side-by-side!

friarbayliff

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
MN / IN
From what I've seen, Fink works rather well. I run it on my mac - I don't have it down completely yet but I would still recommend it.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I've use both Yellow Dog and Mandrake linux on my powermacs,
a good starting place for linux on mac is http://www.penguinppc.org
thy have plenty of info about it and links to many distrobutions that will run on macs.

You can run most distros on mac; yellow dog, mandrake, suse, crux, gentoo, debian, +++

-tb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.