Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
...potentially :)

The Macbook Air is a stunning notebook, in my opinion the best notebook ever created in the history of computers.

I'm really excited about tomorrow. Potentially it's going to be the day I know what my next primary notebook is going to be. The MacBook Air, as many of its users will tell you, is a capable primary computer. Those who have both the Air and other more powerful notebooks will usually tell you which one gets most use: it's usually the Air, by far.

That said, I really hope Apple don't neglect the Air and, importantly, don't neglect its position as a premium ultraportable. And I mean premium - since Rev B/C, its spec-to-weight/design trade-off has not been even equalled by anyone in my opinion. A truly capable and head-turningly elegant piece of hardware that you can pick up easily with one hand, a practicality only underestimated if you haven't actually used one. Tomorrow could potentially be make-or-break for the Air in my eyes.

What I would like to see tomorrow if Air D is announced:
1) Arrandale 32nm processor to reduce heat per clock. I love surfing in bed so heat is an issue. I would absolutely love to see the 25W TDP Core i7 with around 2.2 GHz up to around 2.8GHz Turbo. This would be my dream come true. I think this or an i5 could be a possibility. Even if they stick to 45nm Penryn as some have speculated here, I'd still buy it.
2) NVidia/ATI Graphics only. No Intel graphics unless it's switchable with an NVidia/ATI card. This could be a deal-breaker for me. If it's Intel-only, the Air will lose its premium ultraportable status for me and I'll probably go for one of Sony's latest Vaios with Win7. I have no idea about likelihood here.
3) USB 3.0 - even if it's still just one USB port overall. Though I imagine this is unlikely - no Intel chipset until next year, Apple's vested interest in Light Peak etc.
4) 4GB RAM - I think a given in any next Air
5) >128GB capacity SSD - Has to be higher performance and have TRIM software to minimize speed degradation. If not, I'll definitely go aftermarket here.
6) Design at least equally as stunning as current Air - that is if they redesign it (unlikely imo as not to divert from Tablet focus)
7) Some other hitherto unknown compelling feature - who knows? :D

As for screen/trackpad/ports - i have no strong feelings beyond what's currently available. Next gen OLED would be welcome to say the least but it seems that would be unlikely given price and absence of panel manufacturing rumors.

Overall - No reduction in performance in any of its components.

Will we finally get our Rev D Air tomorrow? Only 18 hours to find out....:D

burdendds

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
I highly doubt there will be anything OSX related in tomorrow's keynote. I think that this will be an event to introduce a new product that is more similar to an iphone than a macbook. We will probably see an update to the current iPhone OS, more carrier options, and the release of the "tablet".

I don't think Apple will release/update other products with such a huge media focus on the tablet. However, I do expect a quiet spec bump in the next fews weeks to most OSX based products. They are due, given the intel release schedule.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
No i7 in there..

I want a glass trackpad. 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD with TRIM.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
New processors and graphics would be wonderful, even if Intel can't get the ULV parts shipping in quantity until March. Better SSD options would also be welcome. The three things in order that would make me click the buy button:

4GB RAM
8hr battery
Glass trackpad

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
This thread is inane.

You should have just MRoggled or waitied until tomorrow. If no notebook updates are done tomorrow then expect the 2nd week of Feb for them.

Now your subjected to thread "hijacking".

I cannot wait for "Gulftown"!!! It will go well with a MacBook Air.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Did we need another thread on this? There was already a "Apple Keynote Predictions for Macbook Air" thread...

It's a tablet event. None of the rumors up to this point have been about a new Macbook Air. No leaked photos. No new chip orders. No rumors of any kind. I'm not sure how "absolutely no news whatsoever about a new MBA" becomes "new MBA with Arrandale+USB 3.0+4GB!" It doesn't really help people to keep their expectations in check.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Where is this live conference coverage you speak of???? here on MR? on engadget? I have yet to find a link to some live coverage of the event. Thanks!

There won't be live streaming video coverage, but this site and others usually have live text and photo coverage.

I know for sure that I want to watch the key note unspoiled! :) So my plan is once it's 1 PM EST (10 AM PST) I will not check macrumors, nor will I check youtube (my subscriptions are likely to reveal the tablet to my virgin eyes), and I bookmarked the link to where the keynote will be, so I won't even see Apple's home page which would likely show the tablet all over the place.
Here is my link if anyone wants it... http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/keynote/
As of now it redirects to the iPod 2009 event but when the keynote is uploaded it should direct you to the Jan 27 keynote.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The Macbook Air is a stunning notebook, in my opinion the best notebook ever created in the history of computers.

The MacBook Air, as many of its users will tell you, is a capable primary computer. Those who have both the Air and other more powerful notebooks will usually tell you which one gets most use: it's usually the Air, by far.

What I would like to see tomorrow if Air D is announced:
1) Arrandale 32nm processor to reduce heat per clock. I love surfing in bed so heat is an issue. I would absolutely love to see the 25W TDP Core i7 with around 2.2 GHz up to around 2.8GHz Turbo. This would be my dream come true. I think this or an i5 could be a possibility. Even if they stick to 45nm Penryn as some have speculated here, I'd still buy it.
2) NVidia/ATI Graphics only. No Intel graphics unless it's switchable with an NVidia/ATI card. This could be a deal-breaker for me. If it's Intel-only, the Air will lose its premium ultraportable status for me and I'll probably go for one of Sony's latest Vaios with Win7. I have no idea about likelihood here.
3) USB 3.0 - even if it's still just one USB port overall. Though I imagine this is unlikely - no Intel chipset until next year, Apple's vested interest in Light Peak etc.
4) 4GB RAM - I think a given in any next Air
5) >128GB capacity SSD - Has to be higher performance and have TRIM software to minimize speed degradation. If not, I'll definitely go aftermarket here.
6) Design at least equally as stunning as current Air - that is if they redesign it (unlikely imo as not to divert from Tablet focus)
7) Some other hitherto unknown compelling feature - who knows? :D

As for screen/trackpad/ports - i have no strong feelings beyond what's currently available. Next gen OLED would be welcome to say the least but it seems that would be unlikely given price and absence of panel manufacturing rumors.

Overall - No reduction in performance in any of its components.

Will we finally get our Rev D Air tomorrow? Only 18 hours to find out....:D

I am praying with you tonight that Apple's decisions are ones we will approve of instantly without hope that Intel's IGP will hold up for even basic "normal" use. If it only uses Intel's IGP, it certainly will not be nearly as capable as the MacBook Air we have had since October 2008. Others have pointed out my issues with Intel's IGP are somehow unfounded. Some seem to forget the original MBA's troubles. Apparently some believe the MBA will not be affected negatively if it only has Intel's IGP. For those of you who have that opinion, I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE.

I believe the vast majority of the information I have read, over the last few months, points to an IGP that will be between a 50% and 60% total loss of performance over the current Nvidia 9400m that has been in the MBA since October 2008 (15 months). That LOSS COULD BE LOWER, but I have seen nothing that proves that either. I seem to want to error on the side of caution and the caution is substantiated as the Intel IGP has been problematic in this very same MBA that was sold new just 16 to 24 months ago.

I believe that Apple has put forth a lot of effort in taking advantage of the graphics processing power, by writing OpenCL code into Snow Leopard that capitalizes on the performance gains of the Nvidia 9400m over the original MBA's Intel 3100. The graphics performance gains of the Nvidia 9400m are stated to be 5X by Apple itself and is viewable on Apple.com. Apple chose the Nvidia system from October 2008 until 2009 with its iMac update. It seems in less demanding systems, Apple wants to go with Nvidia to ensure excess capability not available from Intel's IGP.

I actually have come to believe that no news tomorrow might just be the best news. While a silent update tomorrow or two weeks down the road might be the MBA we all actually want... the MBA that's primary Mac capable - the MBA that retains its Core 2 Duo CPU and Nvidia chipset/GPU. I don't care if it's the same Penryn SL9x00 Core 2 Duo at 2.13 GHz with the same exact Nvidia 9400m. Add 4 GB of RAM, add a little extra drive space, and add a glass trackpad and we have a primary Mac capable MBA that solves all of the current problems/issues with the MBA.

Also, the MBA could have a Core i7 CPU at 25w with a disabled Intel IGP. With this solution, Apple would HOPEFULLY add an ATI dedicated graphics system that furthers the capabilities of the MBA. There could be other Core series CPUs used, but I don't believe we want those. However, I would be fine with Apple going with a lower clock speed ULV CPU IF it means it can include an ATI dedicated graphics solution.

The real loss, IN MY OPINION, is an MBA that only has Intel's IGP. An Arrandale Core i7, or worse, CPU with only Intel's IGP is PROBABLY going to be the end of the MBA as our primary Mac. I COULD BE WRONG. Maybe the Intel IGP is only a 30% or 40% loss. Maybe the Intel IGP could play HD video playback even in OS X. Maybe we could squeak by??? I don't know.

MY FEAR IS BASED UPON THE FACT THAT INTEL HAS FAILED US BEFORE! It's not like I am making this crap up in my head and selling it as something it's not. We all remember the problems of the original MBA. We all know how great the MBA became once Apple dumped Intel's IGP. We all have seen various reports claiming that Intel's IGP is a 30% to 60% loss in performance capabilities over the 15-month-old 9400m. We all know that Apple built OpenCL into Snow Leopard to take advantage of the extra processing capabilities of the Nvidia 9400m GPU. Could Intel's IGP help with OpenCL? Maybe but would it really provide as much as the Nvidia 9400m did? Sure, Intel has learned some from its past, but the general consensus does not support an Intel IGP that is similar to the Nvidia 9400m as some have suggested here in the MBA forum section today.

No i7 in there..

I want a glass trackpad. 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD with TRIM.

Is that a prediction or wishing Apple goes Core 2 Duo again?

Agree to the second line completely.

New processors and graphics would be wonderful, even if Intel can't get the ULV parts shipping in quantity until March. Better SSD options would also be welcome. The three things in order that would make me click the buy button:

4GB RAM
8hr battery
Glass trackpad

That's just the thing that was so screwy with that rumor. Apple doesn't use a ULV CPU in the MBA. Apple uses a 17W Low Voltage Penryn SL9x00 Core 2 Duo CPU; the replacement for this CPU is a 25W Arrandale Core i7 which includes the IGP. Intel is forcing this IGP and actually would be a power reduction even though it's 8W more use (from 17W CPU to 25W CPU), as the current MBA has a 17W CPU and 12W GPU. Which means it's 29W TDP or 4W more than the potential with Intel's IGP as the sole solution.

In my view, using Intel's IGP solely would be devastating for those of us who love our "PRIMARY" Mac capable MBAs. While others have bashed me for stating negative information about Intel's IGP, I have began to wonder if they are Apple spokespersons who know the MBA is getting solely Intel's IGP as its graphics non-solution tomorrow. Are these "supporters" of the IGP looking to diffuse the dire destruction imminently occurring to the MBA and to be announced tomorrow

I can't wait for an updated Air. I'll be mine once it updates :D

Will you buy it no matter what components Apple throws in there? That sounds like what happened to the original MBA buyers most of which were sorely disappointed with the lackluster performance and persisting problems that couldn't be handled with software updates.

I know for sure that I want to watch the key note unspoiled! :) So my plan is once it's 1 PM EST (10 AM PST) I will not check macrumors, nor will I check youtube (my subscriptions are likely to reveal the tablet to my virgin eyes), and I bookmarked the link to where the keynote will be, so I won't even see Apple's home page which would likely show the tablet all over the place.
Here is my link if anyone wants it... http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/keynote/
As of now it redirects to the iPod 2009 event but when the keynote is uploaded it should direct you to the Jan 27 keynote.

Cool, thanks for sharing. I am trying to determine what I want to do also. I have a doctor appointment at 11:30am Central Standard Time. Do I cancel the appointment, rush home and "catch up," or do I just watch the streaming feed you have provided. Usually reading the feed blogs is pretty boring and SLOW. Waiting to watch the video would be preferred if I can force myself to wait until it's posted online! That's going to be tough. And to not be able to instantly "share" with you all would be frustrating.

Some final thoughts...

My MacBook Air is by far my favorite computer ever. I actually fear tragedy more than my hope for triumph for the MBA tomorrow. It seems like no change to the MBA might be the best current solution. Or perhaps Apple has decided that Arrandale can wait for the MBA's next update, and we get a slightly better MBA that uses the same Core 2 Duo Penryn SL9x00 CPU and same or slightly better Nvidia GPU; with this scenario, Apple would certainly update the RAM to 4GB and include a glass trackpad.

An alternative solution is an Arrandale CPU with an ATI dedicated graphics solution. This is the MBA I truly want and the MBA I had convinced myself Apple was going to include in the new MBA. This MBA could have 4 GB of system RAM and either 256 GB or 512 GB of dedicated video RAM. I do believe Apple could use these components in an MBA that's the same size form factor as it has now.

Another alternative solution is the non-solution in my eyes. What if Apple doesn't think out the Intel IGP and accepts Arrandale with solely the Intel IGP? This MBA might have a faster clock speed performance, BUT I FEAR A SUBSTANTIAL LOSS IN GRAPHICS CAPABILITIES THUS ALTERING THE WHOLE SYSTEM'S PERFORMANCE. I don't even know if it matters if this potential MBA has 4GB of RAM or even 8GB of RAM. What if it has a 256 GB SSD? Does that make up for the POTENTIAL LOSS in graphics performance? How about a smaller form factor still keeping the 13" display and full-sized keyboard losing the bezel wasted space and space around the keyboard... what if it even weighs in at 2lbs? Would that make it the MBA we want? I don't honestly believe it would be the MBA I want... nor do I believe it's in the best interest for anyone that wants to use the MBA as their primary or sole Mac.

Finally, I did have some grand ideas about tomorrow's potential MBA update. To state those one more time... and hope I just got overly anxious about Intel's IGP which maybe wasn't ever even an option considered by Apple.

MBA v 3,1 - 13.3" HD 16:9 display 1600x900 - ATI 256MB 3lbs - 5-hour bat.
2.0 to 2.8 GHz Boost and (BTO/HighEnd) 2.13 to 2.93 GHz Boost
4GB RAM - 192 GB SSD (BTO/HighEnd) 256 GB SSD - GLASS TRACKPAD!

Cheers

potdude

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
I predict a new Macbook Air will not be released later today as per the recent news articles speculating on a delay which were probably leaked to not give false hopes or disappointment to those expecting one.

I also predict that after a new MBA is not announced later today, people will continue to make new threads on this forum every few days to speculate on when a new one will be announced.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't know what will happen later, but you people who are up nights thinking about this, "praying", and have irrational "fears" that something won't be released or your dreams won't be realized need professional help. If you're seriously feeling that way then you've lost touch with reality. :rolleyes:

if anything a minor update to the MBP line is in serious order. That and a small reminder that quoting the original post is completely unnecessary.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I don't know what will happen later, but you people who are up nights thinking about this, "praying", and have irrational "fears" that something won't be released or your dreams won't be realized need professional help. If you're seriously feeling that way then you've lost touch with reality. :rolleyes:

if anything a minor update to the MBP line is in serious order. That and a small reminder that quoting the original post is completely unnecessary.

LMAO. I completely agree that many of us, ESPECIALLY ME, are really into our MacBook Airs. It's a big deal because those of us who really adore the MBA and find it a shear joy are fearful that Intel's GMA could ruin the brand just as it did with the first MBA. That fear may not even be realized, as maybe Apple will not update the MBA.

I do consider two likely possibilities... One is an MBA update that warrants being "shown off" at the media event that is supposed to be focused on "MOBILITY Products." I do feel the MBA is Apple's most mobile Mac and it could definitely warrant attention if it has a new form factor, new system components, or new display as I consider a possibility. The alternative possibility is no MBA update information at the media event today and a silent update today or soon. Or there's always the possibility that the MBA will be EOL'd or will stay exactly the same for two years as the Mac mini did. Perhaps I could move on with Sony's ultraincredible notebook.

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
the air is dead.

long live her successor.

seriously, KB input is dead. the new air wont be evolutionary. it will either be merged with a new brand or it will simply die of neglect.

wish i hadn't brought my MBP 13" now. student discount was too tempting though.

peace.

clickgr

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2009
Germany
My prediction for the air is minor hardware updates but major price reduction. The only way this product can survive is to make it more inexpensive.

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
My prediction for the air is minor hardware updates but major price reduction. The only way this product can survive is to make it more inexpensive.

I think it can survive just fine with increased specs at the same price point. Keep in mind that the tablet is rumored to cost $999 without subsidization from T-Mobile or whatever carrier. That is very expensive for the specs... but apple knows that their consumers buy the experience, not the specs. It is the same with the MBA... we love the experience, but would love higher specs!... either way we're willing to pay for what we want.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Nothing today kind of a dissappointment if you have had zero interest in a tablet!
True!

Personally speaking, the iPad hasn't piqued my interest. Which doesn't mean I definitely won't buy one at some stage but I'm certainly not clamoring for one like I am for a new premium ultraportable notebook.

And completely agreed with Scottsdale above, a lot of us are serious Air enthusiasts here and if that warrants professional help, so be it lol The Air just floats my boat, I dig almost everything about it shamelessly - its looks, the fact that it's gone for LV CPU as opposed to ULV, its graphics capability given its form factor and its weight - a massive difference compared with even the 13" pro - the 1.5lbs is just a figure - functionally it is a world of difference being able to throw it about easily with just one hand.

Some folks over at the MBP forums are now suggesting possible silent updates next Tuesday....let's see

I have an awful feeling deep down that the MBPs will get a refresh but not the MBA. I hope I'm wrong.

However, I also have a feeling that if the above is true we're going to see a major, major revision of the Apple Premium Ultraportable, but that it will be a little further down the line - maybe this spring or summer. Including a design revision. This is all conjecture but Steve Jobs recently talking about Apple releasing some "very strong products" this year could be a sign...

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
What I would really like to see in the Air are the Core i7-6xxLM CPUs coupled with switchable ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5xxx series GPUs. A 640LM and 5650 would make a dream machine. I'm really hoping that Apple's engineers can find a way to fit all that into the Air. I'd like a beefier battery and 4GB of RAM as well. I'm not actually setting my hopes that high, but it sure would be nice. I have the patience to wait and see what happens.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
What I would really like to see in the Air are the Core i7-6xxLM CPUs coupled with switchable ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5xxx series GPUs. A 640LM and 5650 would make a dream machine. I'm really hoping that Apple's engineers can find a way to fit all that into the Air. I'd like a beefier battery and 4GB of RAM as well. I'm not actually setting my hopes that high, but it sure would be nice. I have the patience to wait and see what happens.

You and me too!

I do think that had Apple had a major revision for any of the Macs it would have been obvious to show them off. I agree with some others that this means we are going to get a minor bump again with the MBA. I do expect it at the same time as the MBPs do get updated. I also expect to only get Core 2 Duo with Nvidia GPU again if it's within the next 30 days. I know we all want more, but Apple's unwillingness to show the Macs off proves that the updates aren't worthy. Usually Apple shows off the Macs when they have new or different component architectures, so I believe it means no Core Architecture, at least not for now.

At least Apple doesn't appear to have rushed the decision and didn't take the decision lightly to stick us with only Intel's IGP. I really do believe it's easier to swallow no update to the MBA rather than the potential to lose its current graphics capabilities. While part of me is disappointed, another part of me is content and just doesn't want to go backwards.

My new prediction... given Apple doesn't want to show off the updated Macs. I hate this!

If Apple releases an update in next 30 days...
MBA 13.3" LED, 2.13 GHz C2D, Nvidia GPU, 4GB RAM, 192GB SSD. - $1299 to $1499

If Apple releases an update after 30 days...
MBA 13" New HD 1600x900 16:9 Display, 2.2 GHz Core i7 with boost, ATI 256MB dedicated graphics (this is partly hope, but seems most logical to not lose graphics capabilities), 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, glass trackpad. $1499 to $1799.

BluRAY external drive added as optional accessory for $299. I really thought the shipping delays on iMacs were because Apple was going to swap in BluRay now while it updates the MBPs with BluRAY. I still think the 16:9 display change means BluRay is at long last finding its way into the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.