Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/01/26/apple-what-to-expect-on-wednesday/?hpt=C2

to sum it up the Run down Seems to go like this.

* iLife 2010. Apple usually updates its suite of applications for organizing, editing, and publishing photos, movies and music in January, so it would not be surprising, or particularly newsworthy, if they did it again this year.
* iPhone 4. Apple has released a new iPhone every summer since 2007. With Google's (GOOG) and Palm (PALM) racing to catch up, you can bet Apple has some surprises up its sleeve. The surprise most people want to hear is that Apple has terminated its exclusive deal with AT&T (T) and will now be making iPhones for Verizon (VZ), T-Mobile (DT) and Sprint (S). It's a long shot, but it could happen Wednesday.
* New MacBooks. It's been 232 days since Apple updated the MacBook Pro — a machine it refreshes on average every 200 days. The MacBook Air is also approaching the end of its product cycle. You might see these on Wednesday too.

One more thing … But what everybody is waiting for is the unveiling of the device Jobs is said to have been working on obsessively since he came back to the Apple campus last spring with a new liver. He has been heard to tell friends: "This is the most important thing I've ever done."

Coming from the guy who brought the world the Apple II, the Mac, the iPod and the iPhone, that's saying a lot.

So what is this thing that may be called the iSlate, the iPad, the iTablet or something else entirely? Here's what we think we know:

* It's a thin, flat-paneled device with a 10- to 11-inch color multitouch screen that can serve as a virtual keyboard but can also be controlled with a vocabulary of gestures that has been described as "surprising."
* It runs a version of iPhone OS, giving it access to at least some of the 130,000 plus apps developed for the iPhone and iPod touch.
* It's said to be designed for sharing among family member and for social networking, Internet gaming and the like. Game developers — among them Electronic Arts (ERTS) — are said to be preparing whiz bang demos for Wednesday's event.
* It's been shopped around publishers row with some success as a new platform for newspapers, books, magazines and textbooks. Struggling print publications are clinging to the hope that selling their content through Apple's iTunes store will be the business model that keeps them alive.
* It's been shopped with less success to Hollywood as a new venue for movies and TV shows. Apple has been working on a $30 per month "best of TV" subscription service, but it's not clear if Hollywood's embattled moguls will be willing to give Steve Jobs that much control over their content.
* It's reported to be in mass production for sale in March or June, depending whom you believe.
* It will be priced, according to various reports, anywhere from $600 to $1,000, depending on whether it is subsidized by a cellular carrier
I believe the first two but i doubt on the Macbooks I think the Macbooks would be for WWDC makes sense right before school's about to start.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Your forgot the "one more thing" segment of CNN Money's article. ;)

I'm really looking forward to the iWork update (hopefully it's coming up), believe it or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.